Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • New Decathlon adventure/touring bike…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

In the tool roll are spare spokes, a spare mech hanger, chain link

Nice!

richardthird

@highlandman could you confirm the hub & axle sizes please? Blurb says “100/142 x 12mm thru-axles with quick release”

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, front is a 100x12mm screw in QR axle, so seats directly into the RH fork leg and flip lever on LH side to lock. Rear is a fairly standard 142x12mm QR axle that again screws into the driveside dropout. The spares pack includes a separate replacement threaded dropout cap/insert along with the mech hanger.
    One slight surprise is the discovery that the two 160mm discs are not the same; the front on the Shimano dynamo hub is a centrelock, while the rear is 6 bolt. I had planned to upgrade the front to a 180mm spare 6 bolt disc but that’s now on hold until a solution can be found- maybe a centrelock to 6 bolt adapter, if such a thing exists..? It’s hardly urgent, not going to be on any proper adventures for a while yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stanstorey

Very pleased with mine, managed a filthy off road night ride after setting up tubeless and it was a great ride. Much more agile than I expected.

An XL has just popped up for sale on decathlon website.
    Maybe a cancelled order…

molgrips
    Free Member

maybe a centrelock to 6 bolt adapter, if such a thing exists..?

One of these you mean?

highlandman
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the thing.
    How do you find the front brake Stanstorey, does it inspire confidence? I don’t have any experience of Sram Rival hydro brakes before this, so nothing to compare it with.

highlandman
    Free Member

First ride impressions are very much as above; more nimble than I expected but still clearly a long haul, mile muncher rather than a gravel/woodland thrasher.
    For the remainder of winter, I’ve taken off the stock skinny thunder Burts and replaced with some well used Maxxis; 2.3 sticky HR2 on the front & 2.25 Ardent on the back. These still allow for a Mudhugger front guard under the fork crown without risking damage to the dynamo cable.
    More comfortable than I expected, partly down to 22psi tubeless Maxxis rubber now on the back and probably also that 27.2 shimmed Thomson post. Coped very well with some moderately technical woodland trails, with a bit of everything thrown in to make it more interesting. It goes where you point it, accelerates nicely on good surfaces and copes fine with slippery ground, tight twisty, rooty and rocky terrain with mud and tree stumps to be negotiated. I’m delighted and think that if anything, it’ll be a grower.
    Although I’ve bedded the brake pads in very carefully and they’re clearly working well, I’d find the 160 on the front too limiting and too tiring on the hands over longer rides; that will get changed to the 180 shortly.
    It’s a bike for journeys pure and simple. I don’t agree with someone’s armchair grumbles above about the stack being too high and the BB drop too short. It rides just fine and will make even more sense once loaded up and with an adventure in front of you. I’m not a fan of ultra low BBs anyway at the best of times; I tend to ride in the Highlands most of all (surprise!), where rocks and ruts are common problems, unlike the groomed trails elsewhere. I did wonder about maybe flipping the stem and may yet try that position but for now, I don’t feel the need.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^That’s a great write-up. Would be interesting to see how it pans out with any more changes you make and after some time spent with the bike.

Chanced across a video review (in Spanish) with English subtitles:

luv2ride
    Free Member

Received emails from Decathlon today saying that this bike was still not available, so they were “purging my request for stock notifications”. More worryingly they also now seem to have removed it from their website. Pretty gutted as had decided it was precisely what I was after, only learning of its existence at around the time of this thread, but guess they may not be getting more in (to the UK at least).

Also noticed a (Spanish?) Facebook review on the bike yesterday which showed a sticker on the right fork leg saying “limited edition 1/200″…

Surely that amount of R&D wouldn’t result in a such a limited run of production bikes, unless it might have been one of the pre-production prototypes?

…anyway, another possible Brexit casualty if limited stock has gone elsewhere

rhinofive

snap; they’re gone from the French website but still showing on the Belgie one (albeit out of stock)

luv2ride
    Free Member

Another post on Facebook, this bike is no. 83/200…so maybe it is a limited production?

" alt="" />

rhinofive

hopefully any non-limited edition versions will have that dynamo cable hidden somewhere a bit less shonky-looking. Other than that though I’ve got my heart set on one…….

luv2ride
    Free Member

Yeah, me too. Hope they don’t make too many other changes though, and keep the colourscheme – i think it looks mint (well, sage….)

highlandman
    Free Member

Mine is labelled 39/200. Hopefully there will be another batch at some point before too long…

spoonmeister

Sorry to dampen your spirits but Decathlon have a habit of doing a single, very limited run of the bikes that the “enthusast market” actually want and would buy. Combined with late, almost non-existent marketing it’s common to only hear about them once they’re all sold out.
    Also see the Ti Triban 900 GRVL model, if it’s still on the web.

Your best bet would be to message them on FB and ask if they’d build another batch.

damascus
    Free Member

A fantastic review of some bike packing bikes here. Some clips of the Riverside 920 at the start and after 10.30 minutes a brief review of the Riverside 920. Interesting comments about the geometry.

He’s well worth a follow, he does some great videos and reviews.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I sent Decathlon a message via Facebook asking if they’d be doing another run of the 920, but no reply as yet…

highlandman
    Free Member

Maybe… It had reappeared on the website yesterday after an absence of a week or more, so perhaps there are more on the way..?

luv2ride
    Free Member

Yeah, I see its back on the website now but no stock and not longer able to set up stock notifications just yet. Maybe a promising sign though

rhinofive

……and now with a “coming soon, Spring 2021” banner; looks like another batch on the way

stanstorey

“WAFFLE WARNING”

Now I know it looks like there will be another batch I don’t feel quite so bad about posting a few pics and info on my 920 (56/200)…

If it’s any consolation to those that missed this batch, I also had my order cancelled 14 days after placing it, but my friend who also ordered one found the Large too big, so I bought his…

First impressions are it’s a very well made and hence may seem a bit weighty – but having used it for a few weeks and tinkered with it, I don’t feel you can compare it to a “gravel” bike (used to have a Nukeproof Digger and have ridden various other “gravel” bikes) – not entirely sure what this bike is with all the ridiculous genres to chose from and quite frankly I don’t care!

I am hoping to start doing a few short trips later this year and being a MTBer first and foremost, this seemed a good starting point – I am at home on 29ers with squishy 2.4ish tyres.
    I also like b*ggering about with anything with wheels and this has lots of shiny bolts to remove and attach various “useful” things to and I can plug stuff in to charge – quite a novelty!

I’ve done some local rides with plenty of offroad and one 55KM ride before lockdown which mixed in all sorts of terrain and it performed very well. IMO, even on the mezcals and me riding, it keeps up with gravelly type bikes on the smoother stuff if you need it to. It’s a hoot on the offroad downs and that seems to be where it leaves the gravelly type bikes behind.

So far i’ve:-

– added some of the supplied helitape type film in suitable places. Notably, the cables on the left hand side of the head tube rub quite badly, so protect that bit before you ride it.

-swapped across some Pacenti PI25 wheels I had from another bike – bit lighter than the Sun rimmed things it came with and has made it a little more spritely – I’ll stick the dyanmo front wheel back on for any longer journeys. This is never going to be a 10kg bike!
    (Highly recommend Luke at Pacenti for wheels – lovely wheels and easy to get different freehub drivers, end caps, spares etc.)

(-the stock wheels went up tubeless straight away and are taped and it comes with valves in the toolkit.)

-Put 2.35 mezcals on – as I had them and like them as a tyre and this bike will be offroad a lot. I also like the thunderburts having used them before and will put them on when it drys up a bit.

-180mm front disc – as I had a spare and I think it cannot hurt to have it instead of the stock 160mm

-Swapped out the Brooks as it did not fit my backside – the charge spoon just happened to have the correct shade of green on the logo! (ebay purchase for £24.99 delivered – new old stock i think)

-front mud hugger fitted and managed to fit it using two cable ties and the upper most cage bolts. As they go all the way through the fork, I bought some longer stainless cap head bolts and used a penny washer and nylock to fix it.

– managed to get the specific racks before they went out of stock as well!
    They’re not the prettiest things, but seem well made and I like the 6 bolt arrangement on the rear rack for rigidity. The silver was pretty hideous, so I sprayed them an even more hideous green colour to match the Podsacs logo on the top tube bag…not fitted the front – it’s just too big/naff for popping to the shops or work with.
    Note – M6 bolts are used for the rear rack and the ones on the frame are basically plugs, so not long enough to mount the rack – you’ll need longer ones.

-bought some blackburn bolt on cages – seem well reviewed and I like the rubberised straps, definitely hold items securely – they also had to be sprayed a hideous colour to match. From tredz at £16.99 each and then one of their £5 voucher pop ups.

-bodged in an old spare fat bike mud guard thingy just to keep some of the crap off.
    this will be improved as and when – I bought a rear 29er mudhugger to use (fawkes cycles seemed cheapest when I looked), but that can only be fitted when I am not using the rack.

-Having priced up a bolt on top tube bag and thought £55+ was a bit silly I bought a PlanetX pod sacs one and just made it bolt on with a soldering iron to melt two holes in it and then a thin sheet of alloy as an internal support plate.
    The podsacs works well as a bolt on option as the frame straps are removable rather than sew on. So it can be reused with the straps on another bike if required.
    It also comes with a soft cushioned removable liner which covers the alloy sheet and bolts nicely.

– trying a shorter stem – again, had it in stock and I also seem to bit shorted stems to things to help my back. I suspect i’ve ruined some crucial geometry value, but I can still ride it without falling off…

Future plans – ride it for what it is, enjoy tinkering with it / adding bits and bobs to it, try not to mess around with the drivetrain too much it.

And most crucial for me – remember to also ride my hardtail and my fatbike as they also make he smile!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Well having given up on owning one after my order was cancelled I git a tip off on the Bearbones forum that there was a large on the Decathlon site. I managed to order it and it arrived today. Fairly sure it was a return as I haven’t got the toolkit or spare helitape Stanstorey got, but nevertheless it’s pretty awesome. No. 69 of 200, which made me smile.

Got a Redshift stem that’s going on it, and I’ll start buggering around hanging things off it tomorrow, but first impressions of riding around the garden are really good.

Gotta sell two bikes now to justify this purchase. Anyone fancy a Planet X XLS or a Ramin 3+ (*not very stealth add alert*).

firestarter
    Free Member

What size is the ramin there is someone that been looking for a large for ages, I will try remember who as ive forgot doh..

theboyneeds
    Free Member

It’s a large, but if it’s @Clink he’s bought a Stooge instead!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Gotta sell two bikes now to justify this purchase. Anyone fancy a Planet X XLS or a Ramin 3+ (*not very stealth add alert*).

Both bikes now in classified section.

highlandman
    Free Member

Updates from Decathlon website:

200 RT920 bikes were produced in limited series, all of them sold in a few days on December 2020.

We are actively working to make 500 quantities available in Europe by 2021.

Deliveries will be made in 2 times:

1.about 200 quantities in March 2021

2.about 300 quantities in October 2021

We will provide more precise information on our Instagram brand account very soon:

https://www.instagram.com/riverside_decathlon/?hl=fr

vinnyeh

We are actively working to make 500 quantities available in Europe by 2021.

aah, Europe.

damascus
    Free Member

It’s ticking a lot of boxes for me!

rOcKeTdOg

Not sure if this has been posted but not sure I fancy a heavily laden bike if it’s as twitchy as they say

avdave2

Not sure if this has been posted but not sure I fancy a heavily laden bike if it’s as twitchy as they say

I believe they re doing a long term test on it so that might be worth waiting for. It sounded like the front end could do with a different tyre from their early testing

highlandman
    Free Member

Re ‘twitchy’
    I’m not finding it so while on the few (and short) rides I’ve managed with mine so far. Combination of that long wheel base and a better front tyre now, a tubeless HR2, 2.3 seems fine to me. But then, I wasn’t riding on dust either! With regards to the loaded bit, I’m unsure and won’t know until we’re allowed out properly again. I’d think that a bar bag and pair of small fork bags would, if anything, improve front end grip, but we’ll have to wait and see.
    What did make sense to me in that review was the comment about the sweet spot in the bike’s performance, being 8 – 10 – 12mph on dirt roads and firm trail surfaces. In other words, when on long, adventurous mixed rides across whole countries. The rest of the time, the compromises come into play more but that’s bikes for you….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What did make sense to me in that review was the comment about the sweet spot in the bike’s performance, being 8 – 10 – 12mph on dirt roads and firm trail surfaces. In other words, when on long, adventurous mixed rides across whole countries. The rest of the time, the compromises come into play more but that’s bikes for you….

Hmm that’s interesting. It’s the flipside of how I didn’t like my Vagabond, it was impossible to get anywhere near the speed of CX bikes (even though I could keep up in the same group on a similar spec steel 29er). Which then begged the question of what was it for and I ended up keeping the CX bike and 29er as both were faster everywhere except a long flat headwind on the road with the 29er Vs vagabond.

I’d been mulling over giving mostercross/adventure another shot on a more responsive aluminium frame but maybe not. I keep looking at something around 650b*2.1″ like the nukeproof and wondering if that might be closer to the compromise I want.

loum
    Free Member

1500 now

luv2ride
    Free Member

Guess the price increase was only a matter of time. As for the “twitchy front end” I’m sure I’ve read at least one review which said it rode better when loaded up…I’m still in if/when they come back in, as heaps cheaper than tge Trek 1120 or Bombtrack Beyond ADV I was originally looking at.

w00dster

Luv2ride, would you not consider the Trek 920 which seems more similar to this? Still more expensive though.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/touring-bikes/trek-920-review/

highlandman
    Free Member

I agree; I don’t think of this as a ‘gravel bike’ for ragging about on local rides. It’s an off-road tourer, pure and simple. It feels very different indeed to my flat barred CdeF, a lighter, more lively ride. But then, although I have toured on that bike, I only do it with very light bags and staying in hotels/B&Bs. This lighter bike has done some long, multi-day sportivs with slicks on. You’d not want to try that on the RT920.
    What I did find when riding the new Decathlon on local trails is that it accelerates quickly to pace out of corners; I’d kindof expected it to be a bit lazy feeling with that long wheel base but the reality seems to be that the stiff rear end and decent wheel tension create a very direct sense of drive.
    I’ve not ridden it with the stock seatpost; I took that out straight away and fitted a shimmed 27.2 inline post, partly to move me forward a few mm and secondly to get some compliance into that back end. I’d expect it to be a fairly firm ride with the stock post.
    The other change is that it now has a flipped 70mm stem in place of the stock 80. Again, on short local rides, this feels grand but I’ll have to think about it for longer duties. If it ever stops snowing here….

sniff
    Free Member

New paint job for the next release….

https://instagram.com/riverside_decathlon?igshid=x5bhf9kuoib6

nuke

New paint job for the next release….

Shame as I do prefer the original one colour throughout but its a minor thing really

luv2ride
    Free Member

Sorry, I think that new colourway looks nasty compared with the all over “sage” paintjob. You wonder if they’ll make other spec changes (i.e. downgrades) for the 2nd iteration too.

@woodster- id previously discounted the Trek 920 due to it having bar end shifters (been there, done that…), but looks like the current version now rocks SRAM brifters. Still an alloy fork though, whereas Id prefer carbon, plus I love the racks on the 1120. May look again at Bombtrack, or just wack a new fork with triple cage moumts on my Arkose X (by far the cheapest solution).

The Riverside is looking a little less attractive at the minute. Gutted I procrastinated when there a few available. That’ll learn me…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘New Decathlon adventure/touring bike…’ is closed to new replies.