Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • new CX wheels front 32hole radial pattern…to harsh for CX racing?
  • sefton
    Free Member

OK I’ve just bought some Mavic open pro wheels on 105 hubs.

£215 (so good price)

I thought both wheels would be cross pattern, but the front is radial.

a quick google says a 32hole radial will be very stiff, harsh and they’ll put a lot of pressure on the hubs…it said no good for cyclocross.

should I be concerned?

john_l
    Free Member

No

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Wouldn’t go for it out of choice but it will be fine for cross.

crikey
    Free Member

Radial spoking seems to be the in thing for all front wheels these days, but it’s not as good as 3 cross. Ride them for a while, at 32 spokes they might be fine, but I’d be looking to get them built up 3 cross at some point.

sefton
    Free Member

the 105 hubs seem like they are radial lace ‘approved’ after yet some more googling

benji
    Free Member

Been riding my fulcrum 7’s with less spokes and radial for cross for close on 30 races and plenty of training runs as well, no problems, still nice and true. Easier to clean, no parts where the spokes cross to catch debris. Worry no more, just ride.

simondbarnes

I very much doubt you’ll ever notice any harshness – you’ll have a big squishy tyre on there.

simondbarnes

I very much doubt you’ll ever notice any harshness – you’ll have a big squishy tyre on there.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Radial lacing looks **** with anything over 24 spokes, so for that reason, I’m out.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Where did you get them from? I’m after some cx disc wheels

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I was told by my LBS that radial was the strongest way to build a front wheel (for whatever reason, 3cross seams strong to me) and they use it on some rear wheels for CX bikes but only non-driveside. The hub just has to have a thicker flange to make up for it.

I have exactly the same wheels from merlin and they are cracking, I have ridden them around dalby (red route) and around cannock (FTD) along with some questionably suitable terrain in and around loughborough. They are fine, still in true and are no more harsh than my R500 wheels that I may have accidentally ridden offroad once or twice 🙄

sefton
    Free Member

£215 for 105 openpros is a good deal (merlin – said they are built & bought from Raleigh.

On the plus side a harsh feeling might take my mind of the pain and suffering of racing CX!!!

with regards to looks – this wont apply as they will be covered in cack

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘new CX wheels front 32hole radial pattern…to harsh for CX racing?’ is closed to new replies.