• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 'New' Cwm Carn conditions
  • matthewspb
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the Caffell (sp?) trail in the last couple of days (i.e. since the biblical rain hit S.Wales)? Although I know most holds up well in the wet, I was wondering what the gloppy bit through the pine-like forest in particular is like.

Thanks all.

Conan257
    Free Member

9 of us rode it yesterday just before yesterdays thunderstorm.

There were puddles, the uphills were rideable 100% (if you hadn’t spent the day before at BPW), the downhills were improved by being a bit damp in my opinion!

No bit was unrideable, but there was a fair bit of rain yesterday afternoon which might make a difference.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’ll be wet as it’s currently p ing it down at the moment, although even in rainmageddon conditions a few months ago it remained full rideable

mtbant
    Free Member

Rode it lastnight after the rains. was fine. running really well. go for it.

scruff
    Free Member

Any news on DH.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yeah it’s good fun, although not sure if offically open, had a preview (allowed by the forestry) to test it for the 4 wheeled downhill bike we’re working on for Project enduro.

Jrrr
    Free Member

Although it will be rideable, a few sections of the new Cafall trail will be like soup! usually the wooded section after quadzilla and the first open section of the decent! After riding it a fair few times, honestly its so so so much better in the dry, turns into a right muddy slog otherwrise. Compared to the Twrch which is pretty fast in any condition!

The new DH you say? yeah its open, splits off the Cafall trail at the top. I think Cwmdown are doing a split uplift for it between the two tracks as they are on either side of the valley. One in the morning, then switch for the afternoon.

Cwmcarn report complete.

creamegg
    Free Member

The DH is officially open and a good alternative to the xc descent, although that’s pretty good in itself too

LoCo
    Free Member

Bear in mind though that you’ll loose all you height on the dh in 3mins or so as opposed to a fair bit longer if you do the Cafell xc dh sections.

creamegg
    Free Member

exactly 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 and then you’ll have to go and do the Twrch to make up for it 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

always double them up now anyway. Usually do the Twrch first

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 Might do a double up lap/s this weekend if have time as haven’t done it yet, quite like the idea of the new dh straight to pay station

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘'New' Cwm Carn conditions’ is closed to new replies.