• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sc-xc.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New CTW bike…and some pics of my new home gym ;-)
  • sc-xc

My employer has finally got round to sorting the CTW scheme, so I picked up this beauty:

Brompton SL-1, only extras are mudguards and Brooks saddle. This will live at the office for the regular 3/4 mile trips between sites (I have a Pometamine to actually get to work)

While I’m here, some pics of my newly converted home gym. The garage at the back of the garden has been used as a gym for years, but always with the massive load of junk and garage crap that comes with sharing a space. It’s nice to have a dedicated gym now…

We knocked out the wall and put some triple sliders in:

Built stud walls at each end, covered one with a 6′ x 4′ mirror. Put the rack and bits back in:

Plastered the ceiling and put spots in. The little hooks you can see are for gymnastic rings, which are in one of the drawers.

Put some cheap laminate down, added a heavy duty mat and TV/DVD for Insanity/P90x

There is a fridge, bluetooth/airplay speakers, Virgin HD box, heater and a cheap Ikea unit to hide all the other crap.

…and then some pictures 😉

I am waiting for a scaffold pole to run across the ceiling – this will hold the 100lb bag and allow to me to slide it out of the way when not in use.

rOcKeTdOg

Why do you need a mirror in a gym? Or is a dance studio too?

Looks great btw

sc-xc

Official reason…it covers up the OSB wall neatly.

Real reason, I can look at myself when curling one out. Rep, that is 😉

hitman
    Free Member

Why do you need a mirror in a gym? Or is a dance studio too?

Essential to have a mirror to check correct form when carrying out various exercises. Otherwise you can get injured very easily. That’s why all gyms have them. Also makes a small space look bigger.

rene59
    Free Member

Nice gym, good job. Shame about the bike though, think I would rather walk the 3/4 miles. 😀

sc-xc

It can be 2 or 3 times I have to do it…between 3 and 4 miles each way would mean I was never doing any work!

wrecker
    Free Member

Hope you don’t mind me asking, what’s the ceiling height? That pull up bar looks pretty ineffective unfortunately. Also, is that a 7ft bar? sits on those J hooks nicely. That Bodymax cage looks pretty good.

timmys

I’m trying to do my best Through the Keyhole – “who would live in a house like this” and can only come up with a ‘roid raging crustie so far given the gym + posters. Am I close?

sc-xc

Wrecker, you’re right. I used to pull up into the rafters. I can still pull up so my head touches the ceiling, but need to use a wide grip overhand to get the most out of it.

Yep, 7ft bar. I keep it out of the way up there, it’s really only Landmine press I do outside of the rack.

Timmys, not into the roids…but did used to have stinking dreadlocks….

wrecker
    Free Member

No oly lifts?

singlespeedstu

@your new bike.

🙂

yunki
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4[/video]

finners

Nice. Off to listen to Levelling the Land 😉

sc-xc

At the moment, it’s a push pull split. Lots of squat, bench, OH press, row, dips, deads etc.

I can do everything in the rack, I’m only 5’9

I would like to get into Olympic lifts, but would need a platform and a bit more space I reckon.

sc-xc

And stu…that brompton is capable of shredding the wheat. Or whatever it is you mtb’ers say 😉

singlespeedstu

Tom is this you at your London office then? 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsfFIm_zjv8[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What are the internal dimensions of the home gym?

sc-xc

8) @ stu

Dimensions about 2.6m x 4.5m

mrblobby
    Free Member

I give it a month before it’s full of junk and garage crap again 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

[quoteI would like to get into Olympic lifts, but would need a platform and a bit more space I reckon.[/quote]
    Nah. Just a handful of bumper plates. It’s a really good gym, very jealous. Would need somewhere to hang myself/gym rings from and a battle rope though.

rexated
    Free Member

NMA homage:

“The time I think most clearly,
    The time I drift away
    Is on the benchpress
    In me garage
    Without all the crap in the way”.

downgrade
    Free Member

That’s not what the Cycle to Work scheme is for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haters gonna hate but i borrowed a brompton last weekend when i was in glasgow.

i was surprised.

used to sell dahon/giant/mezzo and worked on some bikefriday stuff(utter pish how they have such a following ill never know) and thought well its another folder….

it isnt , it rides really well given the wheel size , you can actually stand up and pedal without it trying to fold its self up- dahons and terns are terrible being flexy.

good choice.

sc-xc

Wrecker – I have some rings, and hooks in the ceiling ready to dangle from. I’ll put them up and get a photo tomorrow.

Downgrade…I know. The bloke in the shop expressed surprise that I wasn’t buying an inappropriate mountain bike like all of my colleagues 😉

Edit. Just retread that rexated. That will be going through my head in the morning 👿

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New CTW bike…and some pics of my new home gym ;-)’ is closed to new replies.