Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Crank Bros. Wheels
  • honourablegeorge

Looksing at these (LINKY) I can’t help thinking that the various innovations make a lot of sense – the non-drilled rim, the paired spokes, etc.

I only know one person with the older version (2nd generation, AFAIK), and he’s been problem free, they did sort out (or at least improve) the hubs.

Anyone tempted, or am I just being daft?

cynic-al
    Free Member

To me they don’t represent value for money, but that doesn’t stop many.

honourablegeorge

cynic-al – Member
    To me they don’t represent value for money, but that doesn’t stop many.

They’re usually available at a lot less than RRP, and I’m a fan of the looks. Just always been wary after the horror stories about the first gen hubs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet you can buy lighter and more reliable for less.

scandal42
    Free Member

The reviews I have read from their dropper (including the new one) to their wheels and hubs have been utterly appalling from a lifespan point of view.

honourablegeorge

cynic-al – Member
    I bet you can buy lighter and more reliable for less.

Possibly. I tend to use Hope Hoops as my value mark – if they’re about that price, then we can start talking, and have seen these there or thereabouts.

honourablegeorge

scandal42 – Member
    The reviews I have read from their dropper (including the new one) to their wheels and hubs have been utterly appalling from a lifespan point of view.

The Kronolog was/is a disaster, yeah. Never seen a bike product so universally panned on release.

The wheels have clever ideas though. I think that’s a big part of the appeal, for me.

Del

CB products are wonderfully marketed, that’s for sure.
    WRT the wheelsets i just don’t see the advantage in the reduced spoke count, and it’ll make truing the rim a bitch.
    as for the ‘impressive’ 2-stage anodising process. pfft!
    i’m sure the box will be beautiful too. 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Possibly. I tend to use Hope Hoops as my value mark – if they’re about that price, then we can start talking, and have seen these there or thereabouts.

Hope Hoops on Crests are 1585g (mine were anyway), and cost less than £300… so half the price, and lighter?

Agree with Al, just don’t get it.

shermer75
    Free Member

So, those massive nipples, does the whole thing have to turn like a regular nipple? How does it not snap?!!?

onehundredthidiot

Like them And was close to getting a set but couldn’t find qr ones at a low price. Both crc and on-one are doing them at greatly reduced cost. But I’m not impressed with on-one at the moment.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2012 Iodine 3 wheels and I love them. They came on my bike but after 18 months of pretty heavy use they still feel indestructible and are as good as new. I even snapped a spoke once, replaced within a couple of days free of charge and was a piece of cake to fit. You don’t have to take the wheel off the bike for a start and of course the tyre stays where it is too.

Best of all, when the spoke was snapped I rode home with no issues. You wouldn’t have known it happened really.

I’m well aware of the horror stories and have read some poor reviews of their other wheels but I’ve got nothing but praise for mine. Maybe I’ve just been lucky!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

As above , I’ve got iodine 3 2012 and love them stiff light ish and taken all that my terrible skill level and fat arse can throw at them. Obviously look great too.

sbibby1988
    Free Member

I cant seem to get a replacement nipple online anywhere? Where did you get yours from painey?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Had a few friends with these including a heavier friend with no mechanical sympathy. All wheels are running like they’re out of the box. I like the ease of minor truing and the theory that they are stiffer because they aren’t drilled and because of the ribs. The new ones look like a whole improvement over this generation.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 pairs over the last year both trouble free and look great on any bike I’ve put them on.

Painey
    Free Member

I got mine from 2pure, the uk distributors. They were very helpful. Link is below.

http://www.2pure.co.uk/our-brands/crankbrothers/

ndthornton
    Free Member

Its still a crank brothers product that includes moving parts……
    Not really there forte

Boy they can knit a good T-shirt though!

Painey
    Free Member

Its still a crank brothers product that includes moving parts……
    Not really there forte

I’m aware of their reputation but myself and several others seem to disagree with you on that one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Crank Bros. Wheels’ is closed to new replies.