Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • New Cotic full Suss
  • wors

looks very promising, wonder what kind of price they will be aiming at?

Rorschach
    Free Member

honourablegeorge

mrblobby – Member
    Steel framed full suss. Isn’t that a little unusual?

7.3lbs quoted weight including shock – Transition quote 7.74 for the Covert.

Impressively light if those numbers are true.

Northwind

Wishlist fulfilled. Wasn’t expecting steel though! Blurry black end does look a bit ugly but then, so did the Hemlock’s so that’s a no-score draw.

Waiting to hear more…

sv

Price guess – £1000, anymore bids?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder why steel? Does Cy know something the rest of the industry don’t? Shall check out the video…

Edit: price around 1500 would be my guess.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wonder why steel? Does Cy know something the rest of the industry don’t? Shall check out the video…

Its because its a niche no one has yet done (steel full sus) and its Cotic – so it will sell.

Northwind

Going by the frame weight it’s not bringing the disadvantages you’d expect of steel… Fair to say Cy knows a bit about making light strong steel bikes after all. Not sure what the advantages are going to be though.

It’s not the first part-steel full suss o’course.

james
    Free Member

Well I think the hemlock topped out at £1100 in the end (with one set of rockers), that was what, a year ago? made of 7005? alu. QR rear end, no ISCG mounts? RP23
    This one is R853, X12 rear end, ISCG mounts, though base model shock is lower? I’m guessing £1300-1500, ish. more? I’ve no idea

Am I looking into the video too much or is that a (linkage driven) single pivot rear end? Or is the drop link like some kind of maverick-ish link (though I’m guessing BB is still within front traingle)
    Actually no, that couldn’t work? Being some kind of unrestrained 5bar?
    Again, I’ve no idea ..

_tom_
    Free Member

Interesting. I’ll be looking for a frame I can stick my Pikes on next year. Seems like this would do the job but I wouldn’t be able to afford a new one.

steelfan
    Free Member

Cotic are not the first to do Steel Full Suss.

Vicious cycles have the Groover with an 853 front end with 100mm front and rear plus an LT (140mm) and 29er Versions

Vicious Cycles The Groover

Groover LT

Groover 29er

Cotic looks very interesting and I could be tempted.

edd

Raleigh did a (well recieved) steel downhill bike in the late ’90s.

Tim
    Free Member

KeeWee as well.

thepodge
    Free Member

it looks and sounds very good, interested to see and hear a bit more about the droplink and the swingarm shock mount looks a little different but that could just be because its out of focus

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s…..

a single pivot?

(sheds a silent tear 🙁 )

Paceman
    Free Member

Hmmm very interesting, looking forward to this one.

kelvin

Oh yes, the Raleigh… I believe Cy used to race downhill on one of those. Oh, and IIRC, the very first bike he designed, in the days before Cotic, but never got built, was a full sus with an 853 front end.

scruff
    Free Member

and Brooklyn Machine Works.

toons
    Free Member

I hope it a 29er or it’s dead in the water!

Can’t get excited about that 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, lots of companies have made steel full sus frames before, I dont think many of them have produced one like this though, and had the brand image to go with it aswell.

tomlevell

BMW

Although not really comparable in any way other than they both have wheels.

I_Ache
    Free Member

In this screen grab it looks like it has a small linkage on the seatube and a small pivot on the seatstay dropout making it a foux bar.

Cotic Rocket by i_ache, on Flickr

scruff
    Free Member

Shocks on opposite way to ‘normal’.

Rik
    Free Member

Looks like just another linkage driven single pivot frame but in a nice colour and part made of steel.

Sure it will sell well as Cotic is a quality company but it (on the face of it) doesn’t seem to anything different or ground breaking.

spacehopper

bah.. got all excited and theres nowhere to put a water bottle.. (hate camelbaks)

ill stick with the meta for now then!

Northwind

spacehopper – Member

bah.. got all excited and theres nowhere to put a water bottle..

Definately enough space to stick a big coil shock though (some reservoirs foul the frame on the Hemlock)

Euro
    Free Member

kelvin

You’ve got to love those DMR Bolts, they scream fun.

bah.. got all excited and theres nowhere to put a water bottle.. (hate camelbaks)

You’ll be glad to know that it does have room, and mounts, for a bottle cage.

Northwind

Hanging down off the top tube? Or squeezed in the front?

balfa
    Free Member

I do like the look of Cotics Hardtails but I don’t see the point in having a steel front end on a full suss. It seems like a gimmick. I’d rather of seen something like the hemlock in 120mm with fun angles. 150mm just seems too much to me for most riding.

My final gripe is with sizes. Cotic just don’t come big enough for tallish riders. I assume it will be the same again with this bike.

tomlevell

I wish you hadn’t said that.
    It was one of the things I was holding onto for not wanting it.

I do like the look of Cotics Hardtails but I don’t see the point in having a steel front end on a full suss.

Well it’s in the ball park weight wise against Santa Cruz (heavier than a Nomad but lighter than a Butcher) and Yeti it’s not making it lardy.
    If it comes in £1500 or below it wins on price hands down.

It’s more travel than I’d like and luckily it’s a moot point for a while as I don’t have the funds/justification to get one and I’ve got a Hemlock.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the doe-eyed market will love it, it’s got niche written all over it.
    i guess you have to hook your beta-testers somehow.

AlexSimon

Can people please stop quoting £1500. He’ll start thinking that’s what we’re prepared to pay!
    I can’t see it being more than £1099 with the basic shock and £1299 with the RP23 Kashima.

wors

What he said ^^^^^. Heck £899 for the basic model £1099 for the RP23 😆

spacehopper

😯 😯 😯

where are they? under the top tube?

jameso

Top job. It’d look great in gloss black.

I like SP’s and a link like that can do good things to the wheel/shock rate too.

james
    Free Member

“it has a small linkage on the seatube and a small pivot on the seatstay dropout making it a foux bar”

It would makes it a ‘faux bar’ aka a (linkage driven) single pivot
    If the pivot were chainstay mounted it would be a ‘proper’ four bar/FSR/Horst link setup

As I said before though, I don’t know what this droplink thing is, is there something we can’t see behind the (triple?) chainring? Though in my limited viewpoint on these things can’t how that would work, if it were just that?

trailmonkey

Cotic Rocket

Apollo 13 ?

😉

5lab

isn’t the droplink just the thing that allows a ramp of the shock rate on the faux bar? a bit like the st4 but, well, the other way up..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘New Cotic full Suss’ is closed to new replies.