Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New Cotic Flare?
  • lawman91

Any news on the new Flare? Had a few rides on my new LS Soul and it has got me wondering how the geometry would feel on a full susser. Love my T130 but I’m certainly intrigued by whatever the new Flare turns out to be, hopefully they’ll steepen up the seat angle like they have on the new Rocket Max, from the initial rides it’s the only slight grumble I have with the Soul, it’s amazing as it is but do wonder if it would be even better with a steeper ST angle, given I’ve pushed the saddle pretty much as far forward as I can already to help steepen the effective angle a touch. That new metal on metal colour for the RocketMax would be welcome too!

rossburton
    Free Member

I was told August, but now its being suggested that there might be a new Flare on the end of november/december demo rides.

Blackflag
    Free Member

The seat tube angle is the only real criticism that keeps coming up so I imagine / hope that will be changed fairly soon.

Kamakazie

I think the new RocketMax is at least a couple of degrees steeper so I imagine the new Flare will be the same.

guandax
    Free Member

Is the new Flare likely to be capable of handling 150mm forks?

facian
    Free Member

I was told 140 max when I asked a couple of questions recently (was buying components for my BFe with a view to put them on a Flare at some point when it’s released).

amedias
    Free Member

Is the new Flare likely to be capable of handling 150mm forks?

Wouldn’t you be better off with a Rocket if that’s a requirement?

fathomer

amedias

I’d guess not as not everybody wants a 170/160mm bike. A 150/120mm bike is plenty and more efficient. I was also told that 140mm would probably be max.

As for the original question, I was told they were hoping to have it ready before Christmas. They’ve had a bit of a delay due to the unforeseen circumstances.

st

I had a reply to an email last week saying that final tweaks were being made over the next few weeks and that they were aiming to have intial frames available before Christmas.

amedias
    Free Member

A 150/120mm bike is plenty and more efficient

So is 140/120, hence the cutoff I suppose, once you’re starting to look at 150mm forks with a view to *using* that travel I think you’re really into the realms of wanting/needing the burlier bike. Otherwise it’s just trying to slacken out the lighter bike by putting long forks on it.

I totally get why you might want a 150/120mm setup (my BTR is setup that way) but what I’m getting at is that the use case for that kind of combo is probably verging on overstepping the intended use for a Flare and into Rocket territory.

highlandman
    Free Member

Mind you, there is a subsidiary benefit in running a longer fork on the shorter bike, by raising the BB a few millimetres.  As far as I can tell, all of the longshot/Max offerings are a bit on the low side for using on big mountains that have rocks on them.  I get far too many pedal strikes for comfort on my Solaris Max on Highland trails; it’s fine in the steep woods and on regular trails or trail centres but once you get out into the mountains on bouldery, washed out natural trails even the 165mm cranks fitted are a pain.  I know that this low slung geo is what the market wants (or thinks it wants) but like 1x drivetrain, it does introduce an extra compromise into the equation for some of us.

I’d be happier to see the bikes raised up a bit and I know I’m swimming against the flow…

guandax
    Free Member

My idea is to use the kit off a Spectral which has 150 Yaris.  Not convinced I need the travel of the Rocket as per amedias’ thoughts and less weight would be good too.  I can just get a shorter air shaft – which would give me the option to go Debonair, which has been great on my other bike’s Pikes.

lawman91

Getting closer to Christmas, anyone heard any more news on this?

tomd1984
    Free Member

I gave up waiting and bought something else instead 🙁

bootsy

Same as ST really. Had an email from Paul: ‘We just have a few more details to iron out on the Flare and it should be ready in a few weeks.’

gerti
    Free Member

Yeah, they seem to be taking their time alright, been waiting since September 2017 to buy a Flare! But hey ho, since I did without a FS last spring/summer I’m not too fussed, as long as they have it out before next Spring/Summer otherwise it’ll probably be a Transition Scout for me.

chrismac

Whilst they may well max the flare at 140 forks officially no one is going to stop you putting 150’s in it. In reality I would suspect you would be unlucky if it caused any harm to the bike as I suspect 99% of us, me included, wouldnt put enough force through the fork and into the frame whatever fork was in it to get close to the design limits.

core

Especially if you consider the different axle to crown measurements between brands of forks of the same travel, and how much sag people choose to run.

chakaping
    Free Member

I get far too many pedal strikes for comfort on my Solaris Max on Highland trails

I realise you posted this a month ago, but just wondering are you running 29in or B-plus?
    And is it the current frame?

guandax
    Free Member

Still no news :S

guandax
    Free Member

Anyone heard anything?

DickBarton

About 3 weeks back I emailed asking about it and was told it was being redone with the LS make up – no timings were given. I hadn’t realised this thread was here, so I’m assuming they are still working on it (which is handy as I’ve decided to have a proper play with the suspension on my current bike and it is starting to ride far better than it did and I’m back into completely loving it so unlikely to buy a new bike any time soon!).

roverpig

I’d be interested to know what the relative sales figures are for the Rocket and RocketMax. Maybe they are not seeing much demand in the smaller wheel size, so are in no great rush to release the flare.

StuF

Quite glad they haven’t released it yet, otherwise I’d be very tempted to go with the Soul and I think the Rocket might be too much bike for most of the riding I do.

vincienup
    Free Member

My idea is to use the kit off a Spectral which has 150 Yaris.

You can change the air shaft in the Yaris for about £30 and make it almost any length you like. I used to have a set of Yaris at 120. The procedure is exactly as for the Pike.

tomd1984
    Free Member

I’m surprised it’s not out yet. When I spoke to Sam on a demo it didn’t sound too far off.

Definitely glad I went for something else now.

lawman91

Still no news? Perhaps being built in the UK Rocket Max style and can’t cope with demand? Loving my Soul so would be interested to try a LS Flare

Stevelol
    Free Member

Hang tight fellas…

lawman91

You can’t just leave it at that if you know more!!!!

marksnook
    Free Member

Well my rocketmax is due towards end of March so maybe something will pop up then if they are Uk made? Speculation of course!

lawman91

Still no news? Not even a snippet of info?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m booked in to demo a FlareMAX this weekend.

Will see if they give anything away.

Is this thread specifically Flare rather than FlareMAX?

lawman91

FlareMax has been out for a while with Longshot geo, the normal Flare is the only model not to receive a re-make yet. Considering the success of the other models (and going from what others have said) it is coming, but a definite case of when! There’s a few things with the FlareMax that make it a bit hesitant about it geo wise, which seem to have been resolved to an extent on the RocketMax, but that is way too much bike for me! A Flare with similar geometry to the MK5 Soul and a steeper seat tube and a smidge shorter back end is what I’m intrigued by!

roverpig

Have you ridden the longshot FlareMax @lawman91 ? On paper I’d have said that I’d prefer a steeper SA and shorter stays. Out on the trail it just feels so well balanced that I’d be reluctant to tinker with it. But that may just be a sign that I’m weirdly proportioned 🙂

fathomer

@roverpig not just you, mines working brilliantly as well.

Rik
    Free Member

Any reason that cotic give you frame weights for the hardtails but only bike weights for the full suspensions?

Is that because the full suspension frames are quite portly?

chiefgrooveguru

It’s out!

roverpig

Very nice it looks too. Love the green. It even has the steep SA that everyone seems to think is required these days, so it should sell well.

lawman91

SA still isn’t that steep though, was hoping for shorter CS too. Ironically the geometry of the medium is very similar to my large T130, barring the longer CS and slightly steeper CS the numbers are within a few mm of each other. Will have to get a ride on one and see how it goes!

roverpig

Personally I prefer a longer CS and higher BB to the short CS lower BB option. It’s every bit as “playful” but with fewer pedal strikes over rough ground and better climbing traction. Doesn’t rail corners on man-made stuff as well though, but everything is a trade-off.

Effective SA is a minefield, especially as it seems to be measured at stack height by convention, which is irrelevant. Who cares as long as it rides well though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New Cotic Flare?’ is closed to new replies.