New Cotic Flare?

Home Forum Bike Forum New Cotic Flare?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Cotic Flare?
  • Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

Any news on the new Flare? Had a few rides on my new LS Soul and it has got me wondering how the geometry would feel on a full susser. Love my T130 but I’m certainly intrigued by whatever the new Flare turns out to be, hopefully they’ll steepen up the seat angle like they have on the new Rocket Max, from the initial rides it’s the only slight grumble I have with the Soul, it’s amazing as it is but do wonder if it would be even better with a steeper ST angle, given I’ve pushed the saddle pretty much as far forward as I can already to help steepen the effective angle a touch. That new metal on metal colour for the RocketMax would be welcome too!

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

I was told August, but now its being suggested that there might be a new Flare on the end of november/december demo rides.

Blackflag

The seat tube angle is the only real criticism that keeps coming up so I imagine / hope that will be changed fairly soon.

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

I think the new RocketMax is at least a couple of degrees steeper so I imagine the new Flare will be the same.

Premier Icon guandax

Is the new Flare likely to be capable of handling 150mm forks?

Premier Icon facian
    Subscriber

I was told 140 max when I asked a couple of questions recently (was buying components for my BFe with a view to put them on a Flare at some point when it’s released).

amedias

Is the new Flare likely to be capable of handling 150mm forks?

Wouldn’t you be better off with a Rocket if that’s a requirement?

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

amedias

I’d guess not as not everybody wants a 170/160mm bike. A 150/120mm bike is plenty and more efficient. I was also told that 140mm would probably be max.

As for the original question, I was told they were hoping to have it ready before Christmas. They’ve had a bit of a delay due to the unforeseen circumstances.

st

I had a reply to an email last week saying that final tweaks were being made over the next few weeks and that they were aiming to have intial frames available before Christmas.

amedias

A 150/120mm bike is plenty and more efficient

So is 140/120, hence the cutoff I suppose, once you’re starting to look at 150mm forks with a view to *using* that travel I think you’re really into the realms of wanting/needing the burlier bike. Otherwise it’s just trying to slacken out the lighter bike by putting long forks on it.

I totally get why you might want a 150/120mm setup (my BTR is setup that way) but what I’m getting at is that the use case for that kind of combo is probably verging on overstepping the intended use for a Flare and into Rocket territory.

Mind you, there is a subsidiary benefit in running a longer fork on the shorter bike, by raising the BB a few millimetres.  As far as I can tell, all of the longshot/Max offerings are a bit on the low side for using on big mountains that have rocks on them.  I get far too many pedal strikes for comfort on my Solaris Max on Highland trails; it’s fine in the steep woods and on regular trails or trail centres but once you get out into the mountains on bouldery, washed out natural trails even the 165mm cranks fitted are a pain.  I know that this low slung geo is what the market wants (or thinks it wants) but like 1x drivetrain, it does introduce an extra compromise into the equation for some of us.

I’d be happier to see the bikes raised up a bit and I know I’m swimming against the flow…

Premier Icon guandax

My idea is to use the kit off a Spectral which has 150 Yaris.  Not convinced I need the travel of the Rocket as per amedias’ thoughts and less weight would be good too.  I can just get a shorter air shaft – which would give me the option to go Debonair, which has been great on my other bike’s Pikes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.