Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • New Conti Dinosaur themed Tyres
  • singlespeedstu

Possibly a bit early to tell but anyone using an Argotal, what’s it like as an all round winter tyre in comparison to a Mary?

Still not tried my Argotal in the mud yet as
    A. I’ve been to Spain on another bike.
    B. I caught the rona and haven’t ridden since we’ve been back.

I’m hoping to feel well enough to go out on the eeber with the Argotal on next week sometime so I’ll let you know then.

ocrider

I can vouch for the Kryptotal having very few clogging problems compared to an Assegai (albeit on the back)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Fancy an Argotal for the front. Any feedback on trail endurance compound? It’s to run alongside a Shorty V2 in 3C (on another bike) so wouldn’t want any less grip..

Any ideas how the 2.6 sizes up? 2.4 probably the sensible option..

stevede
    Free Member

The 2.6 Argotal is pretty big, I’ve got one in enduro casing on the back of my hardtail for a bit of cushion paired with a DH22 up front. On my 161 I’ve gone for dh casing 2.4’s front and rear and they are plenty big enough for me. Haven’t tried them in the full on slop yet but on my local woodsy dh trails in the wet I was pretty happy on them, lots of predictable grip and they cleared well. I’d say it’s a slightly more aggressive Mary, a bit less mud specific than the shorty so will hopefully handle wet rock and root better.

bruneep

just doesn’t seem to be stock of Front Kryptotal anywhere

momo

bruneep
    just doesn’t seem to be stock of Front Kryptotal anywhere

Set up a stock alert on wiggle/CRC they seem to come in a few at a time.

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t tried them in the full on slop yet but on my local woodsy dh trails in the wet I was pretty happy on them, lots of predictable grip and they cleared well. I’d say it’s a slightly more aggressive Mary, a bit less mud specific than the shorty so will hopefully handle wet rock and root better.

The Argotal looks very promising as a UK winter/whenever it’s wet all-rounder, but no supersoft compound in the enduro casing seems something of an oversight?

stevie750

I find tyre threads totally confusing
    would a
    Argotal Enduro Soft 29” x 2,6
    Kryptotal-R Enduro Soft 29 x 2,40

be a good setup for Scottish natural trails, lots of tree roots and rocks
    would it be noticeably more rolling resistance than a dhf/dhr2 setup

leonthepro
    Free Member

I have gone
    Krypotal Front Enduro Soft Front 29×2.4
    Krypotal Rear DH soft 29×2.4

Up in North Wales.

Went DH case on rear so I could remove the now rattling insert.

Struggling to get the pressure right on the front with the recent change in weather. I know peoples tyre pressure are personal thing but wondered what other people are running?

hairyscary

I’m running:
    Krypotal Front DH SuperSoft Front 29×2.4
    Krypotal Rear Enduro soft 29×2.4

Rimpact fitted front and rear.

I’m about 80kg

Depending on the conditions and trails I run,
    19 to 21psi front
    23 to 25psi rear.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Thanks. Went down to 21 on the front and seemed better go a bit a lower.

singlespeedstu

Argotal update.
    I’ve now tried the Argotal I have on the front in some wet conditions.
    Muddy, but not full on winter slop with a smattering of roots and rocks thrown in.
    Seems better than the Mary I had on last winter over roots/rocks and at least as good if not better on mud.
    Can’t feel it rolling any slower.
    2.4 Argotal in DH Super Soft flavour at 20PSI.

mrhoppy

I find tyre threads totally confusing
    would a
    Argotal Enduro Soft 29” x 2,6
    Kryptotal-R Enduro Soft 29 x 2,40

be a good setup for Scottish natural trails, lots of tree roots and rocks

Dunno but that’s what I’m going for when they turn up. It’s to replace a MM/BB combo, that I was running year round.

bikesandboots

Any Argotal 2.4 (trail or enduro) experiences from people who used the Der Baron Projekt?

bikesandboots

Der Baron Projekt 2.4 29″ was 995g (4-ply 240TPI), had the ProTection Apex casing which from the diagram here shows the Apex layer as a sidewall and pinch-flat protection layer.

Closest in the new range is the Argotal, which is 1040g in trail casing (3-ply 180TPI, no Apex), or 1125g in enduro casing (3-ply 330TPI, with Apex). Conti UK told me that soft was the equivalent compound in the new range.

So that’s +45g and lose the Apex, or otherwise +130g. Where will that be coming from?

Also, handy guide from a comment on that pink site:

Xynotal – Dissector
    Kryptotal Re – DHRII
    Kryptotal FR – Assegai
    Argotal – Magic Mary
    Hydrotal – Shorty / Wetscream

lightfighter762
    Free Member

For the steeps of Dollar and GlenSherup I have had great luck with the trail 2.4 Argotal on the back with a rimpact. Use a maxgrip DH assegai upfront with no insert. Impressed with rear control and confidence of the trail casing. Jump to turns or catch berms in steeper terrain and it just finds traction to where in the past I was like OMG I will die. May put the Argotal Dh 2.4 up front but I do not want to change how it is feeling at the minute. Superstitious like that. Do not see the need for the softer compounds. I like how supportive the trail casing tread area is. It really digs in. Also rolls really well on the climbs.

Gone coil for the winter. Do not fancy suspension sag in the snow.

ratherbeintobago

So are these replacing the ‘King’ series or as well as?

bikesandboots

One thing I noticed from using the filter on https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires, the new ones aren’t made in Germany unlike the king series and the replaced Der Kaiser/Baron Projekt.

Northwind

Good point that… And it still suggests that they’re black chili- that used to be the main thing, they only made black chili tyres in germany

ocrider

My Kryptotal is made in Germany (2.4 DH supersoft)
    It’s been suggested elsewhere that the trail models and the 2.6 tyres are made in China, the rest in DE.

momo

My Kryptotal is made in Germany (2.4 DH supersoft)
    It’s been suggested elsewhere that the trail models and the 2.6 tyres are made in China, the rest in DE.

Reading that had me popping out to the garage, sure enough my 2.4 Kryptotal enduro soft tyres are both stamped up Made in Germany but the 2.6 enduro soft Argotal I have is Made in China.
    Doesn’t feel any different using the old finger squish test so no idea if it really does use a different compound or not. Does explain why the 2.6s were readily available earlier in the year while the 2.4 was listed as not yet available.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

The Chinese trail casing has amazing traction while still rolling and wearing well. Have not flatted yet or blown a side wall. Even after BPW trip. Can only imagine what the stickier German casings will be like.

bigfoot
    Free Member

having now used my krypotal enduro soft rear in worse conditions still impressed with it, plus its also wearing really well.

luket

Xynotal – Dissector
    Kryptotal Re – DHRII
    Kryptotal FR – Assegai
    Argotal – Magic Mary
    Hydrotal – Shorty / Wetscream

Handy. I was after a burlier Dissector type thing for after the winter so ordered a Xynotal, alongside a Kryptototal which if it really is a faster rolling Big Betty Supergravity then I’m quite excited about it for ham fisted year round rock clobbering and the winter.

The names don’t exactly roll off the tongue do they?

£85 for the pair on Alpinetreks once you get the £5 off for signing up to their newsletter.

stevie750

How are folks getting on with these?

momo

I’m still on Kryptotal front and rear, rode a natural loop around the peak last week including a run down the beast, only came unstuck on a carpet of wet leaves, but nothing works for these really. Managed to catch something hard enough with the front wheel to snap a spoke nipple, no bother to the tyre at all.
    Racing the night enduro at Llandegla in a couple of weeks, will be keeping the kryptotal on for that and will probably then swap the front for the Argotal ready for a day at Revs in December.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Still on x2 Argotal for Tweed Valley riding. Crazy grip in all things steep and wet. Not slow either which is nice.

singlespeedstu

Still loving my Argotal on the front of my eeber.
    Brilliant tyre for Tweed Valley trails.
    Mrsstu has the same on the front and I’ve just fitted a Kryptotal on the rear for her. Again on an eeber with super soft DH casings.

Only one ride on that so far but looking positive.
    Think I’ll also be going with the same rear but in soft instead of supersoft.

mrhoppy

After a day at Dyfi on mine I’m happy with them. 2.6 argotal feels a little smaller than the 2.6 Mary it replaced but grips as well and rolls a bit better. Kryptotal R 2.4 got a little squirrelly at times but it was damp and loose so I suspect anything would have, also rolls well.

Overall feel is they’re a bit quicker than the equivalent Schwalbe I had on before but without giving up grip. fit and seat easily enough, certainly compared to SG that I’ve used previously.

I’ll replace with the same which is as good a recommendation as I can think of and summer tyres will likely be Xynotal/Kryptotal F as the difference to the semi slick is unlikely to be too big.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve a Kryptotal R coming today, enduro/soft 29×2.4 – going to have a look at that then decide what front to get. Do wonder if I should have got the dh casing though.

Thinking Argtotal for the winter but would be nice if they did super soft in the enduro casing for the front.

Anyone know where’s there is stock of Argotals in 29?

momo

DH Soft in 29er

Bit cheaper if you’re willing to wait Bike 24

orena45

Merlin have the trail endurance Argotal (29 x 2.4) in stock for £45 (including the current 10% off offer atm).

Been on Kryptotal enduro F&R on my enduro bike for a couple of months and loving them. Tempted to go for that endurance Argotal for the front of my hardtail for winter, but kinda holding out for the enduro version to be available, so I can swap it over to the enduro bike when needed.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Looking for either the enduro soft or dh super soft in a 2.4 I think. Going to get the 2.4 Kryptotal R on and see how that sizes up before deciding.

Tweeks claiming to have stock in a couple of days so will keep an eye on their site.

squealer
    Free Member

Argotal soft front and kryptotal endurance on the rear here.

Replaced a dhr2 on the back and a 2.6 minion dhf front.

Contis are way way better.

ocrider

My much loved DH super soft Kryptotal bought in early August found it’s way onto the daughter’s bike for her half term training camps. She says she’s keeping it, so I’m going to try out the enduro casing soft version because availability and price.
    I thought she’d have destroyed it, but the centre knobs still have plenty of bite (30% worn approx) and there’s no sign of any side knobs ready to tear off, like those on a dhr would after a similar amount of time and my draggy braking. It’ll do another month at least.

BearBack
    Free Member

local FB seller with a pair of Krypotal Fr/Re trail/endurance tires. Said they are stamped made in Germany.
    I thought these were the chiner rubber?
    Anyone any wiser?

jamesfts
    Free Member

local FB seller with a pair of Krypotal Fr/Re trail/endurance tires. Said they are stamped made in Germany. I thought these were the chiner rubber? Anyone any wiser?

I thought the 2.4s in soft/supersoft were made in Germany and the 2.6s in China – might be wrong.

Put in an order on Tweeks for the Argotal in 2.4/29/enduro but as they’ve now disappeared off the site and nowhere seems to have stock so I’m not holding out much hope.

How big are the 2.6s? Not a fan of tractor tyres.

stevie750

27.5×2.4 only enduro soft £35 at wiggle
    wiggle

bikesandboots

When I enquired to https://conti-tyres.co.uk/ about availability of different tyres, they said stock will appear on their site for direct sales first (expensive, and expensive postage though). It then goes to their wholesalers and then on to retailers – takes 2-3 weeks from when they come in at conti-tyres.

bikesandboots

Where do the Endurance and Soft compounds land relative to Maxxis Dual Compound, Maxx Terra, and Maxx Grip ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.