Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • New commuter (hybrid)
  • ChrisL

After 9 years with my Doctor Dew I’m thinking about getting a new bike for commuting. It’ll be a hybrid with disc brakes (like the Doctor Dew) and as I’ll be using the CycleScheme the budget is capped at £1k. Three candidates I’ve found are:

[list]
    [*]Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc[/*]
    [*]Giant Rapid 0[/*]
    [*]Whyte Stirling[/*]
    [/list]

Has anyone any experience with or comments about these bikes? Specwise the Giant has a nicer drivetrain than the Specialized (105 vs Tiagra) but I don’t know how the Whyte’s SRAM Rival stacks up against the Shimano groupsets. They all have own brand wheels so it’s hard to tell whether any have better or worse wheels than the others. Similarly, how do the Whyte’s Tektro Auriga brakes stack up against some sub-Deore Shimano brakes?

Geometry wise the Giant seems to be the shortest while the Whyte’s the longest but the total difference isn’t much more than 10mm. They Whyte’s a bit slacker than the other two.

I’ve been able to arrange basic test rides on the Specialized and the Whyte so I’ll be able to try them for size and so on, but getting a shot on an XL Rapid 0 may be a bit trickier.

brassneck

They all have own brand wheels so it’s hard to tell whether any have better or worse wheels than the others

A friend had a lot of trouble with his Whyte Dorset, wheel tension issues, though he is a little on the chunky side. Think it was dealt with to his satisfaction under warranty, I’ll check.

That said my Whyte 29CS is the best bike I’ve ever ridden (for me) and I’ve had no trouble whatsoever.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘New commuter (hybrid)’ is closed to new replies.