New Chainring Help

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by  PaulD.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • New Chainring Help
  • skybluestu

Im currently running a 11-34 and 2 x 9 24/36 gxp 2 but finding im spinning out at times and want to put something bigger on the front.
    Advice on whether a 38t would make any noticeable difference and if so then suggestions of what to go for.
    Looking at the hope rings. Is there anything I should be avoiding? Can I put a single outer ring on or should I be only going for an middle?

Cheers

PaulD

A 38T is only 5% larger, so would increase speed at spin-out accordingly.
    A 40T would be 10% so a better bet, but may not clear your frame if on the middle ring position on a triple crank.

PaulD

skybluestu

its a 2 x 9 chainset so should be ok i guess? Do you think that the Hope 38 and 40t rings would be ok for the job? is there any ramping at all that should be taken into consideration?

PaulD

Rings are usually specified as single-speed (no ramps and pins) or not mentioned.
    Your double may be odd sized BCD, so check carefully.
    My worry is still the diameter of a 40T and it fouling the chainstay.
    Again, work out the diameter and see if it will be OK.

Rings can be specific WRT ramping from a given smaller ring, so again worth checking what info available.
    Even SS specific rings will shift with a front mech if you back off the pressure.

PaulD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New Chainring Help’ is closed to new replies.