• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by daveh.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • new chain new cassette = shifting bad. new cassette old chain = shifting ace
  • xcretro
    Free Member

put a new cassette (xt 9spd) on and a new chain (kmc x9sl) and new cables inners and outers and oddly it wouldnt index properly, not shifting up into middle cassette sprocket properly but fine in all other gears.

ive now spent 2 days trying everything to sort this out, Ive done all the obvious things that you may all start to suggest, it ruined my race last night as it wound me up and wasnt shifting right so I ended up quitting the race. stayed up all night trying to find a solution!

Finally this morning I tried taking the new chain off and popping an old one that wasnt too worn on with new cassette and it worked perfectly. put new chain back on and shifting issue returned.

must be a dodgy chain, no stiff links in it and no obvious defects as far as I can see.

anyone else had this happen before?

mickmcd
    Free Member

When we designed the chainrings which we started flogging we had a few probs with kmc chains shimano sram ,no problem turns out there was a slight deviation in size of the chain so anything tight tolerance caused a gripping problem,

duckers
    Free Member

I fitted a Kmc chain and 9 speed xt cassete a few months ago and it wouldnt change into the second smallest cog on the rear without skipping and trying to jump cogs, i wondered if the link plate design was at fault as it has a chamfered edge and x shaped profile. I’m trying to ride it out and see if a bit of chain stretch solves it.

Fitted a 10 speed kmc and xt cassete to another bike yesterday and it seems fine.

xcretro
    Free Member

worked it out now! took it to lbs and they tried playing with the hanger with the alignment tool and still wasnt working, I put my old chain on and the guy rode it and agreed it worked fine with old chain but nbot with either of the new chains. he had a closer inspection of the cassette and spotted that there were issues with the sprockets not being straight which was causing the issue.

swapped cassette and hey presto!! solved.

unfortunately they only had either hg80 in an 11-32 or an xtr so went for xtr cassette.

will be contacting CRC to complain tomorrow, get a refund on the cassette and also compensation for having to buy another now chain as thought it may be their chain, also the 2 days i spent trying to sort the issue, the screwed up race and the cost of lbs looking at trying to sort the issue!! all in I will be asking them for an additional £100 to cover my race entry fee, additional chain, LBS labour charges and some additional for my loss of sleep and anguish.

lets see how I get on tomorrow

superstu
    Free Member

Genuinely glad you got it sorted. However, think you’re very optimistic about what you may receive in compensation. Hope you get a favourable outcome

robbo
    Free Member

Good shop! Which one?

Good luck with getting compensation from CRC!

meikle_partans
    Free Member

Chain reaction are responsible for the cassette and nothing else. Imagine if they were responsible for refunding everyone’s race fees when things broke. Don’t be silly!

xcretro
    Free Member

Chain reaction are responsible for the cassette and nothing else. Imagine if they were responsible for refunding everyone’s race fees when things broke. Don’t be silly!

yes, but it didnt break!! it was a faulty cassette they THEY sold me!

cyclistm
    Free Member

This seems odd.all cassettes have sprockets which aren’t straight. If the sprockets were all straight the chain wouldn’t shift?

Funny enough when I changed the frankly shot to bits drivetrain on my cross bike the new group set shifter far worse.it tool ages to bed in

xcretro
    Free Member

OMG I didnt mean straight straight!! I do know how stuff works! i’m not a moron!! it would appear the sprocket isnt straight on the spider, its at a slight angle so the gap between the sprocket above and below is bigger/smaller as its rotated.

you dont need to bed in a new chain and cassette! they should work perfectly from the off!

cyclistm
    Free Member

ah, I see what you mean. That’s for clarifying

meikle_partans
    Free Member

yes, but it didnt break!! it was a faulty cassette they THEY sold me!

That’s right and that’s what they are responsible for. They are not responsible for the following things:
    1. Your decision to try and fix it for two days.
    2. Your decision to race on it knowing it wasn’t working right.
    3. Your decision to stay up all night trying to fix it.
    4. Your decision to buy a new chain.
    5. Your decision to take it to a bike shop.

xcretro
    Free Member

I presume you work for CRC then….

I didnt know it was the cassette at the time, only found out it was the cassette tonight! thats 3 days after it arrived ihn the post along with the new chain.

If I had known it was a crap cassette I would have done something about it earlier. they dont work on saturday or sunday so what was I meant to do? I had a race on saturday night, the bits came on sat am, I fitted and quick test spin on the stand to fine tune and then on the bike rack and off to the race. test lap and it was playing up, tried to fettle with the bike before the start of race but was not working right and hense ruined my race. I was then up all night trying to work out what it was!

All of this is as a result of THEM selling me a crap cassette, but you obviously don’t think its fair for them to compensate me for my additional expense as a result of this. what happened to the customer is always right. oh and consumer rights, and according to the citizens advice bureau you can claim for extreme stress, anxiety, loss of enjoyment or loss of time experienced as well as the cost of having to put things right.

All I can say is I will never be going to CRC again for anything!

singlespeedstu

All of this is as a result of THEM selling me a crap cassette

All of this is a result of You not ordering spares with enough time to fit and check them before a race.

cultsdave
    Free Member

xcretro – you have no chance. They will replace or refund the cassette and if you are lucky they will give you a gift voucher or discount code. Which is all that you can possibly expect.
    CRC are not at fault its the quality control at Shimano that made the cassette. Do you think that CRC inspect every item they sell? By your theory they should be! But then there prices would rise and no-one would use them.

daveh
    Free Member

Should have gone to your lbs for the cassette I reckon…

smurfly13
    Free Member

What would you have done if the LBS happened to stock a dodgy cassette…. give them a miss too?

Funny thing is the issue is with the SHIMANO cassette you first bought so……. to teach everyone a lesson you bought…. another SHIMANO cassette… Classic!!

xcretro
    Free Member

You’re all a bunch of ****! **** you all.

And this shit **** forum!! Report me for all I care! I shan’t be back to see any replies and will be now deleting my account.

jamj1974

Sorry xcretro, I think you are reaching here. You are entitled to a refund on the cassette and they maybe willing to refund the chain too – if they are feeling magnanimous.

The other stuff is a bit much IMHO and I don’t work for CRC…

jamj1974

xcretro – Member
    You’re all a bunch of ****! **** you all.
    And this shit **** forum!! Report me for all I care! I shan’t be back to see any replies and will be now deleting my account.

I think this is a bit much dude. Relax, no one is attacking you here.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Hahaha, what a fool you are!

singlespeedstu

Op.
    You seem to have some history with cassettes.

daveh
    Free Member

Call me a know-all so and so, but when I was a lad racing RC cars I learnt not to change things before a big race meeting. Even now, if I’m traveling several hours to a trail centre anything that needs doing to the bike gets done the weekend before, one ride minimum before I set off. Saves a lot of pram toy throwing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘new chain new cassette = shifting bad. new cassette old chain = shifting ace’ is closed to new replies.