Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New phono cartridge? Advice required…..
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

For a Rega Planar 3/RB300.

Marantz PM66KI amp, so MM or high output MC.

Currently using a Rega Elys 2 which is due a change. I like it, but it’s a bit closed in at the top and is just a bit flat all round. Lacks balls, if you know what I mean.

Have had a listen to a Goldring Red, bit too much the other way for me, very analytical, a bit hard wearing.

Local.shop is happy to demo a Nagaoka MP110, Goldring 2010 and a Denon DL110, all of which sound to be in the right ballpark.

Any other recommendations? Had good experiences with Sumiko MC’s in the past, but would prefer to keep below £200.

Thanks in advance.

stevious

Hello I clicked on this thread by mistake and I have no idea what any of that means but I find it reassuringly baffling. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help but good luck in your search for whatever it is you are searching for.

stumpy01

My Dad has always used an Ortofon cartridge on his deck. Can’t remember the model, but I remember the bloke in the hi-fi shop saying that unless you were spending silly money, this was his default recommendation.

Not much help really though ..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

Do Audio Technica still make cartridges? Their MC cartridges were very good, I’ve got one on a Zeta arm, and their MM carts always seemed pretty good. Not really up on that area of the audio market, tbh, I stopped buying vinyl in 1982…

kilo

The om10 used to be the default Ortofon cartridge back in the day

taxi25
    Free Member

The last cartridge I bought was one of these.

https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT95E

Does the job, but don’t ask me to describe the sound I wouldn’t have a clue. It would be like saying 27.5 wheels make the trails come alive Lol.

But if you’ve got a good ear take up the hifi shops offer and listen to a couple of different ones. Bear in mind things will sound different in the shops listening room to your own home.

Cougar

14 hours and no-one’s suggested an mp3 player?  Standards are slipping.

the-muffin-man

Not had this either! 🙂

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Ortofon 2M Blue is worth<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> a listen-pretty good balanced sound with clean bass.</span>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New phono cartridge? Advice required…..’ is closed to new replies.