Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • New career aged 40, what to do for just coasting along
  • piemonster

Nudged by the other thread! And in part because I left warehousing to try another sector in the belief it’d be more rewarding. It wasn’t. Just in case my employer reads this, I’m only messing*

What are my options for earning roughly the UK average but just coasting along never really under any pressure to achieve anything. Y’know the sort of clock off **** off set up. No qualifications of any note required, no financial targets, targets overall kept to an absolute minimum if in existence at all, and if they do they be as close to meaningless as possible. No one giving you shit trying to inspire creative thinking out of you. Just enough interest so you don’t get too bored (although I can handle boredom more than stress). Anything that requires learning to keep up to date can **** off. I do work hard, during working hours, can pretty much turn my hand to anything that doesn’t require extended learning (a few days or weeks is fine, if the training ventures into months it can fu….. you get the idea). It’s not a lack of ambition, it’s just the ambition doesn’t involve workplace success.

Anything that gets me spare time during daylight hours in winter would be a massive win. And I’d rather have a cheap bike than work my arse off for an expensive bike.

How much do bin men earn these days? How many hours do they do?

*Im not**

**Or am in! Sorry not sorry.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I kind of quit work at 38-40 after a succesful career selling engineering software and had the same quandry.

Ended up trying to get a job stacking shelves eventually and you will be amazed how much competition there is in the workplace.

I kind of work part time now but its a bit slow, mates at work, Mrs at work when im not so it can be done but its a complete social change.

damascus
    Free Member

National average wage, no targets or hassles? Clock off, tune out? No qualifications? No ambitions?

Sounds like you are made to be a civil servant? 😂

piemonster

Tell me more about this Civil Service? To be clear, I have no moral compass of any note, I feel that would help with spending taxes inefficiently.

jekkyl

Driving instructor.

Amazon warehouse staff.

slackalice
    Free Member

Get yourself a decent push mower, strummer hedge cutter etc and go cut grass for those who either are unable or unwilling. Tie that in with some handyman type jobs for your grass cutting customers and you’re away. Even the time out during winter months is covered.

I know, I’m a **** genius, you can thank me now.

Drac

What are my options for earning roughly the UK average but just coasting along never really under any pressure to achieve anything.

If you want to spend your days on an Internet forum pretending that you’re busy all day then you’ve come to the right place for advice.

piemonster

Actually, that’s not a bad shout Slackbladder. We’ve been talking about fitting a towbar to the van, easy enough to find a trailer for the job.

piemonster

Huh, just googled U.K. average salary. It’s more than I though.

I can live on less than that for sure!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gardening +1

qwerty
    Free Member

Post person?

trail_rat
    Free Member

gardening +2.

Did it for many years in my late teens in the summer. amazing how many people don’t like gardening and will pay good money to have their grass and hedges cut.

my plan when i need to coast (having spent the last 10 years on 24 hour call / adhoc travel) is – bike shop – working for someone else , I’ve seen enough to know that you only double your money in the bike trade as an owner   by folding it in half or by working 24/7 7 days a week and being damned lucky.

But I’m not ready to coast yet , still some fight left in me.

Don’t underestimate boredom though.

piemonster

I’m not sure I started with any fight let alone have any left.

TheWrongTrousers

Deliveroo !

scotroutes

There might be an opening in the Bike hire/transport business next year.* It’s seasonal, stress free, as much scenery as you can eat, some limited social interaction. It would require a move north though.

* Just joking Lindsay**

** Well, maybe not.

funkmasterp

Garden centre?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation.

Will soon be moving for wife’s job and I have  the opportunity / it will be difficult for me to get a job doing what I do now.

You won’t get a job earning national avg wage without qualifications or having to give a sh!t

At 44 though and a background as an accountant I can’t think what else there is I can do in deepest Shropshire / Welsh boarders

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You won’t get a job earning national avg wage without qualifications or having to give a sh!t”

The only reason not to give a shit about your work is if you have no pride.

Doesnt matter what I do -when it needs doing it gets done to the best of my ability.

To not give a shit about your work  is a dangerous place to be imo –usually indicates it’s time to leave.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>.I took the ops post to mean he wants to clock off at what ever time and not have to worry about it till he clocks back in tomorrow…..which having been that guy on the end of the phone at 2am trying to jump into an ongoing issue and fire fight-i can wholely appreciate. </span>

km79
    Free Member

You won’t get a job earning national avg wage without qualifications or having to give a sh!t

It’s very possible actually. If you have the capability to work and achieve at a higher level then dropping down a couple of levels to coast along whilst doing little more than going through the motions is pretty easy.

piemonster

“I took the ops post to mean he wants to clock off at what ever time and not have to worry about it till he clocks back in tomorrow…..”

Although this thread is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Trail Rat Is correct. Work hard whilst I’m there is just fine with me, if I wasn’t the boredom would be too much. But I’m not so keen on the laying awake thinking about work in the middle of the night thing.

As noted by km79, to operate below ability is a perfectly reasonable strategy, which tbf I’m already doing. I’ve passed up applying for several roles now simply down due to the return not warranting the effort. There’s too many things I want to do that pushing myself at work would stop happening. I’d have more money, but no more personal reward for the work done and a reduced reward outside of work.

stevextc
    Free Member

To not give a shit about your work is a dangerous place to be imo –usually indicates it’s time to leave.

I used to believe that… now I think giving a shit is far more dangerous.

either way unless you are exceptionally lucky this is entirely one sided as your employer doesn’t give a shit about you. However good you are they will happily swap you for someone as good but cheaper or similar combinations. Your boss might give a shit but that’s your boss not the company.

Mate of mine worked for the same company for 17 years… doing countless unpaid overt e and a very good job they moved 300 Miles and he took redundancy … 2 years later they moved back and dismissed his reemployment out of hand as he had proven “disloyal”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

While I agree with your sentiment steve. There is giving a shit and being walked over.

And while people may have been promoted over me for doing extra….ive watched them and it just means they get even more extra heaped on top for not too much extra reward.

Km79 has the right idea. It’s harder to implement than you’d think but not impossible – just gotta word it right.

nonk
    Free Member

If you are the sort of employee that gets stressed it’s because you care , if you care about the work then work for yourself it’s the only way .

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

philxx1975, Is there really competition in the shelf stacking sector? All the shelf stackers I see (in supermarkets etc) look like they are just there for a chat with their mates. I could easily out work 5 of them, and would probably enjoy it more than them by achieving shelf stacking perfection!

RustyNissanPrairie

The soap factory in Irwell Vale for those that knew it would have been perfect for you. When me and mates finished school at 16 non of us had any idea what to do next so like the waves of school leavers before us we traipsed down to the ‘soapy’to figure out this working life in front of us.

8hour shifts packing Vanish soap into a plastic tray then into a flat packed cardboard box. We couldn’t stand up for 8 hours let alone work. Our pitifull peacework wage mainly went on custard eclairs in the vending machine!

Unbeknownst to be my parents Soapy MD neighbour pulled strings and got me on sweeping up duties. Armed with brush shovel and barrow I swept up soap machine expungement for an hourly wage. This task also included squashing cardboard into the big skip and falling asleep then waking up one day when everyone had gone home for the day! All with a musical backdrop of GnR’s sweet child of mine blaring out of Radio1.

The happiest days of my working life – no mortgage, no stress, blissful summer. Never to be repeated in my career post Soapy!

bigjim

Civil service, from my experience I reckon 1/3 work very hard, 1/3 work average, 1/3 do jack all and just float along. If you’re on a contract you have even less responsibility and no annual performance nonsense, however you won’t be able to get your union rep to cover you if you’re busted for doing nothing.

piemonster

Colin, I’ve found a couple of lovely Black Isle properties with loads of outdoor space and we’d have no mortgage. I’ll phone Lindsey in the morning and you can finally retire!

hugo
    Free Member

Dog walker and person walker.

Dog walking seems like money for old rope, especially if you have a suitable vehicle.  People are always looking and the advertising seems to be done through Facebook and word of mouth.

Additionally, and semi seriously, how about setting yourself up as a “person walker”?  Seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/14/los-angeles-people-walker-chuck-mccarthy

scotroutes

The Black Isle eh? Looks rubbish from where I’m currently having lunch.

piemonster

I’ve a track record for sometimes odd east coast locations as well.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

SWMBO can probably be sold on this in time. Now, how to get this thread deleted before I start applying for jobs.

Im not really sure how much im joking. This has all the hallmarks of a 5 year campaign.

scotroutes

Plenty of time to get your Velotech awards and learn a bit of Scottish history then.

The accent might be more of a problem.

Have you considered moving to Nigg? I could then use the line…”one of my friends is a ………….. resident of Nigg”

piemonster

Is the accent harder than deepest darkest Methil?

bigjim

Motherland looking great today I see

If you’re into gardening there’s an amazing property for sale on the black isle at the moment that needs a good bit of work. And the internet is too slow to waste much time on stw

bedmaker

This is something I’ve given a fair bit of thought to over the past couple of years.  I’m not in a position to coast just yet (well, I suppose I could but I have a pension pot to fill up)  but could throttle back a fair bit.

I work for myself, and it’s been good for the past five years or so.  My problem with doing shelf stacking or other low paid stress free work is the sheer number of hours you’d end up working to make anything worthwhile.  I hate the thought of being trapped inside a shop when it’s nice out.

Doing something fun but low paid would be a different story.

I reckon I can keep doing what I’m doing, but work six months of the year max.  If the work is spaced out with plenty of time in between, that takes a lot of the stress out.   No worries about things taking longer, and no need to do long days.

A few weeks of crap weather?  Bring some work forward and take the time off when the weather is nicer.

Once I’m actually in a position to coast, I can do a day a week and earn more than doing five days at the living wage, no problem.

I’d be looking to see if there’s something you can do related to your past work that pays a bit more but without the headaches of full time.

Otherwise, I’d like a job which involves walking a lot.  Either a postie (awaits a postie to tell me how much harder it is than it looks…) or working for the likes of SNH counting deer, investigating frogs, bothering fungi, that sort of thing.  That would probably require an element of training though.

windyg
    Free Member

As mentioned above, gardening or just mow lawns, there is so much work out there I turn loads away,i enjoy it, i choose my hours and work.

A guy I know does about 80 lawns throughout summer season and a few hedges and takes most of the winter off.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Admin role in a big Plc.

Not quite mindless, it’s more a case of dealing with incomprehensible business speak bullshit.

Most people are fairly career minded so managers actually love a plodder who can come in, do the job and FU day after day, month after month, year after year.

Usually fairly unionised and almost, it seems, impossible to get sacked unless you do something grossly wrong – for example in the two big PLCs I worked in you couldn’t be sacked for poor performance, unless you worked in sales. Otherwise if you don’t steal, commit fraud, make your employer look bad in public or commit a serious crime outside of work, you could, in theory, come in every day and stare out the window until 5 and go home again*.

Salary will always be over living wage. I started on 22k in 2002 as a non-grad, level 1 drone.

*if they really hated you they had ways to get rid – things like ‘Internet, phone and mobile strictly for work use only’ knowing full well, in fact encouraging people to make use of them just for a bit of leverage.

survivor

Nudged by the other thread! And in part because I left warehousing to try another sector in the belief it’d be more rewarding. It wasn’t. Just in case my employer reads this, I’m only messing*

What are my options for earning roughly the UK average but just coasting along never really under any pressure to achieve anything. Y’know the sort of clock off **** off set up. No qualifications of any note required, no financial targets, targets overall kept to an absolute minimum if in existence at all, and if they do they be as close to meaningless as possible. No one giving you shit trying to inspire creative thinking out of you. Just enough interest so you don’t get too bored (although I can handle boredom more than stress). Anything that requires learning to keep up to date can **** off. I do work hard, during working hours, can pretty much turn my hand to anything that doesn’t require extended learning (a few days or weeks is fine, if the training ventures into months it can fu….. you get the idea). It’s not a lack of ambition, it’s just the ambition doesn’t involve workplace success.

Anything that gets me spare time during daylight hours in winter would be a massive win. And I’d rather have a cheap bike than work my arse off for an expensive bike.

How much do bin men earn these days? How many hours do they do?

*Im not**

**Or am in! Sorry not sorry.

You sir, are my new hero….

That is all…. Carry on.

seadog101

Nearly 50, I’d love to jack this in, but know that I have no other options, and any work I could possibly do would be so low paid we would starve.

DavidB
    Free Member

Postie

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘New career aged 40, what to do for just coasting along’ is closed to new replies.