New (car) tyre time

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New (car) tyre time
  • aphex_2k

Focus S petrol…

Current tyres are P Zero 215/50 R17. Done 50,000 kms and need replacing.

Looking around the same price point, anything I should be looking at as an alternative?

parkesie

Conti sport contacts have done me well and Avon zv7 for abit less. A lot swear by Michelin cross class mates I’m finding them squirmy in the current heat on the work van.

alanf

Just had some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3’s and they seem quiet and great in terms of grip (in the dry – not had any rain to test them in yet). Can’t comment on longevity, but they seem like a great tyre in terms of performance.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

I have put Avon ZV7 on my Astra and I am happy with them

flannol

Dunlop sport blueresponse I found to brake outstandingly well in the wet, supposed to be quiet and economical too

johnners

Current tyres are P Zero 215/50 R17. Done 50,000 kms and need replacing.

Bad luck, that looks like a peculiarly expensive tyre size. For example

Sport BluResponse  215/50 R17  £112, 225/45 R17 £84

Mich CrossClimate+ 215/50 R17 £143, 225/45 R17 £105

Sorry, not your original question I know but I would have thought a big seller like the Focus would have a more common size. Will a 225/45 go on your rims?

Nico

I’ve got cross class mates* (this forum gets harder to read as more and more sit back and let predictive text take the strain) and I like them. They seem to be wearing well and are good in shite weather of all sorts.

*Crossclimates for those whose subscription to Max Power has lapsed.

CountZero

I’ve seen Goodyear Vector Gen2 4-Season tyres on several cars at work, and did some google digging, they seem to have pretty positive results across the reviews as a competent all-year tyre, without being stupid expensive. Tread is a bit like the Eagle F1, but with extra sipe action. Considering a pair on the front of my Octavia for the winter, the current tyres are close to needing replacement.

tpbiker

Just had some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3’s and they seem quiet and great in terms of grip (in the dry – not had any rain to test them in yet

Just bought a set of these for the boxter. Cost me around 150 quid less than the p zeros that were first choice, and happy so far. That said I’m hardly pushing them to the limits of their grip but first impressions are that they are far better than the mid range Nexen set I had on before

fossy

I bought Maxxis Victra MA Z3’s at about £80 a corner (215 50 R17) a couple of years ago. Excellent all weather grip and the tread is very similar to Goodyear Eagles, and they make bike tyres ! 🙂

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

Last 2 sets have been Eagle Asym3 but will probably try one of the following next as they are a decent bit cheaper and very well reviewed:

Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125
    Falken Azenis FK510

hodgynd

Another for Maxxis Victra’s ..245 45 18’s..two weeks ago £95.00 each on the front ..

Still have Good Year Eagle F1’s on the back ..

The Maxxis roll very well ..

aphex_2k

“Will a 225/45 go on your rims?”

I’m not sure how it works tbh – so that would be 10mm wider and 5mm lower profile? If that’s the case, I guess it would work. There does seem to be a lot less around in the size I want which is odd to have a less than average tyre size.

I can get the Eagle F1 A3 for $235 each (down from $349) and that’s a 225/45 they don’t seem to make a 215/50 tyre in this brand/model.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Another Eagle F1 vow here.  Used the versions 1,2 & 3.  All very good.  Not sure about going 45 over 50.  Probably best to understand the true difference in size first – before pushing the button.

wrightyson

Got eagle f1s on my transit sport which obviously due to it being basically a van has all kinds of weird loadings weight wise, theyve not been mega tested  as its a van but been very good so far. Used to use vrededtein ssentas on my scoobs which were phenomenal when pushed hard, always found avons never gave any warning prior to letting go in style….

wrightyson

It’s not strictly 5 mm lower profile as the profile is worked out as a cross section percentage of the width or something like that, so as you go wider the profile gets deeper. In this case

215 divided by 50% =107.5mm profile

or 225 divided by 45% = 101.25mm profile

Effectively a 6mm lowering in profile which will affect Speedo reading by a very small amount.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

First number is the width, second is a percentage of the width as sidewall height.

225mm wide / 45% of 225mm (101.25mm) as sidewall height.

As with all tyres the actual size could be anything.

aphex_2k

Effectively a 6mm lowering in profile which will affect Speedo reading by a very small amount.

So assuming the speedo is calibrated for the original stock tyres, if I go a fraction smaller, would the speedo show a higher or lower speed? (Just as I know when using GPS my speed shows around 4km/h more compared to the speedo now). Important as they often send out tickets here when you’re just a couple of km/h over here.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’ve inherited some Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my car.  Compared to anything I’ve driven before they seem very awesome in all respects.  Having heard even better things about the MPS4’s, those will be top of my list when these wear out.

Premier Icon keithb
    Subscriber

The tyre pressure label on the door pillar may have a range of acceptable tyre sizes for your vehicle.  Go outside these (or even within these) and it may count as a “modification”.

Rim width influences what tyre width can go on it.  Generally you can go +/-10mm on width and still be OK.  Worth looking up your tyre size as a complete weheelset on something like MyTyres to find out what rim width is likely to be fitted.  Then find a website that advises on whether you can go up/down on width on those rims…

I have Michelin Pilot Sports . Have clocked up 25k on the front wheels of my Golf GTD.They still have 3mm remaining and grip superbly wet or dry . Definitely recommended.

Massive improvement over the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas.

aphex_2k

and it may count as a “modification”.

Perhaps in UK but car standards are a bit… Slack here! (Honestly – how some cars are even on the road is beyond me).

Potenza Adrenalin RE003’s being fitted tomorrow.

TurnerGuy

p

Just bought a set of these for the boxter. Cost me around 150 quid less than the p zeros that were first choice

I removed some nearlyu new p zeros from my alfa gt when I first bought it and replace with Eagle F1s which were much better, I think the pirellis performance in the wet is poor, and I am not a petrol head or drive particularly fast – I just always go to a little chicane section near a local airport to work out the proper tyre pressures for new tyres

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New (car) tyre time’ is closed to new replies.