Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New car stereo – Who makes a decent one these days?
  • willard

As for the title I guess. I’m looking for a new stereo to replace the old, knackered on in my Passat. Something that would take/play/integrate with an iPhone would be nice, DAB not essential though, same colour lights as the dash is also not essential!

I’ve not bought or cared about car stereos since I sold my Golf, so I’m really at a loss to know what’s good or not. It’ll be using the stock speakers, so uber-quality of audio is not really required.

hora
    Free Member

Use this opportunity to get into DAB. I use a Pioneer Dab unit.

willard

That is much cheapness and a decent brand (I assume Alpine are still good these days?). DAB’s dead by the way, or at least it will be. I do like the idea of crystal clear audio for radio, but my aerial may be shot too..

All I need now is the adaptor thingy for the gap in the dash to turn the VW double DIN slot into a single slot.

hora
    Free Member

Check- my Citroen plugged straight into my Pioneer (harness provided).

Mine was £100.

righog
    Free Member

I have recently fitted this one and it’s been great, but the Alpine one looks good as well.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_910721_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Recently bought a bluetooth enabled mp3 (no cd) Pioneer unit from Halfords. Made a huge difference to the sounds even in my fairly shit 10 year old Astra.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just changed mine in the Van and I too bought it from Halfords, cheap Sony £65 jobbie. Came with a digital arial and has the iPXXXXX in socket. So easy to fit, did it in 15mins, out with the old, plug the new connectors in and slot right back in. Only bit of hassle was finding an earth for the remote digital arial..

willard

Awesome result! Nexxia (makers of single DIN blanking kit and connectors) are just round the corner from my house and are happy to let me collect the generic stereo connecting kit.

All I need to do after that is choose one of the stereos recommended above.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New car stereo – Who makes a decent one these days?’ is closed to new replies.