Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • New car looming, who’s next for the gnusmobile?
  • bearnecessities

Low-load the Smax to molgrips who will not be able to resist putting a new engine in there.

Drive the the gnarstra, sell yaris and put towards smax costs.

When Smax is finished, sell Astra to cover off any remaining costs and molgrips time.

= 1 Smax for Gnusmas clan!

*This plan is riddled with flaws

**I’m also available for ferrying duties

Cougar

Gnusmobile 2.0 – Fake Gnus?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll replace the engine in the Smax if someone gives me a garage to use to work on it 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gnusmas

Bearnecessities – that sounds like a good plan lol.

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t know how serious this is, but drop me a line.

I have to get something for the SMax as I put a load of new bits on it for the MOT, the day before the cam belt went.

gnusmas

Message sent Harry. Bloody bearnecessities putting ideas in my head 😂

andrewh
    Free Member

molgrips

Subscriber

Don’t tempt me, I don’t think my wife woudl appreciate a project car 😉

How about a project van? The Gnusmobile’s former stablemate, for want of a better word, is also after a new home
    In the classifieds here

duncancallum

If I can get to west mids I’m golden though I can do Wales n back in a day

duncancallum

Ive a recovery dolly that can be used though I think it needs a wheel bearing…. but it’s there to use

matt_outandabout

This thread needs some fellow tuechter.

https://m.facebook.com/TeuchterWagons/

bearnecessities

We have a recovery dolly! (Probably?)

Dunc, I can drop you down to W.Mids.

Edit: I still think this plan has massive flaws 😀

duncancallum

Ha my mates on that page… all the way from lewis

molgrips
    Free Member

I might need some assistance replacing an engine. And a place to work, my driveway’s not even flat.

Having said that, my neighbour did it with a borrowed lift, a smattering of second hand tools and a mate. His driveway’s not as sloping as mine though.

gnusmas

I don’t see any feasible way of doing what has been suggested so if anyone wants an s-max please contact Harrythespider.

Back to the point in hand, the gnusmobile is going to Duncan. No problem with that and happy for his sister to enjoy it as much as I have. Now need to work out when and how. Waiting for one thing to get sorted with the astra before I can collect, hopefully by the end of next week.

matt_outandabout

Where’s that blooming like button?

singletrackmind

Just wait a week or so and the magic of STW will conjuor up a way of getting Harry’s S-Max down to Molly’s
    Then he can install a used good engine over a weekend and hey presto job jobbed
    Is there not a few quid left over from the original round of funding for the Yaris? if not no worries.

@Harry-the-Spider . what are looking for in recompense for the S-Max? £200 or a wee bit more?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Back to the point in hand, the gnusmobile is going to Duncan. No problem with that and happy for his sister to enjoy it as much as I have. Now need to work out when and how. Waiting for one thing to get sorted with the astra before I can collect, hopefully by the end of next week.

I’m theory I can help with the when and where… Bolton isn’t sooo far out of the way from here to Wales, which is if I’m not mistaken where The Gnusmobile is. In theory I could do a riding weekend to Wales, pick up dunc (and bear?) on the way and all head for a ride (I’m assuming folk here do ride time to time) drop them where needed?it’s a when thing which is the main decider here

Ambrose

Happy to help in any way I can.

duncancallum

What’s the time scale do we think chaps just to give some feed back to Rebecca.

Ideally as its BH next weekend would be ace but I’m in big Gs hands

molgrips
    Free Member

Ride, I’m interested. Brecon Beacons?

duncancallum

I’d do a ride if I can get a driver for the car I can take 3 n 3 bikes in the van n we can go riding n then bring the yaris back?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Sounds good to me – dates depending – its looking increasingly likely I’m going I’m have to be working overnight in deepest darkest Norfolk over the bh weekend however so that may be a serious spanner in (my) plans. (with luck the end user is going to request we do other dates mind so…. It may out may not coincide)

duncancallum

Are we on for Saturday gents?

senorj

Nothing to add ,apart from saying ,again……Bravo.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Work is off for the weekend so in theory I’m free if needed – of course all depends on the gnastra.

gnusmas

Still waiting on an update for the astra, which is unfortunately out of the current owners hands. As soon as I do I will update here and try and arrange childcare and a meet up.

Duncan – replied to your message.

duncancallum

Cheers quys

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

arrange childcare

Danny macaskill does a good line in that I gather.

gnusmas

Danny macaskill does a good line in that I gather.

Good call, wander if they do a tag along for 4 kids……
    Anyone got his number for me to ask when he’s available?

gnusmas

Update time!

The car is no longer with me, it is now near Usk in a safe place with another forum member. Very short notice meet up today to get the astra. I’m hoping now it might be easier to get it to Duncan from there.

The catch for the glove box came off earlier when I went to check inside it. On the way down the exhaust started rattling a bit and now it sounds very throaty, not sure where or what’s happened, didn’t think to check. It’s been a joy to drive, even with it leaving its mark wherever I went.

Thankyou all for making it happen and giving us the opportunity to do things we probably wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise. Some nice new memories to add to the ones we already hold in our hearts.

I have messaged Duncan to let him know. Now I suppose is trying to arrange the second leg of the journey from its current hidey hole nearer Duncan. It won’t be insured from today with me, but once Duncan sorts it from his end it should be good to go. The person who’s land it is on is now away until Monday night so possibly from Tuesday onwards I’m guessing should be fine.

duncancallum

The only issue is I’m away for over a week… 2 weekends so I’m out of the relay race.

If it can be brought nearer I maybe able to get my sister too it.

Unless the key can be hidden n thatcase I’ll be available this weekend.

My only rush is my sisters with out a car and school and work for her are a 2.5 he bus journeyapart.

Why’s life so complicated

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

2 weekends

I’m guessing they’ll not be convenient ones either? When are you next about? Is sis also in Bolton?

duncancallum

I’m away 31st to 9th

Sisters in Southport.

I’ll have it taxed n insured today or early tomoz.

I don’t mind running people back south if that’s easier than finding a co pilot up here.

Once it’s near the north west it gets easier for me to move it

duncancallum

Got a lift of my mate Sunday just need keys….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

that’s beyond my ability to help I’m afraid!

molgrips
    Free Member

Car’s now up North presumably Stockport thanks to Duncan and his mate who were very charming.

I rode 50k to pick it up this morning, that went pretty well until there was a road closure which cost me some time as I tried to find a way round. In the end I slipped through the site as it was quiet being Sunday. Then a bastard steep hill to get the car.

Turns out that as the car had sat for a couple of weeks the exhaust had rusted through behind the rear box, leaving it hanging against the exhaust tunnel brace making a hell of a racket. Kept stopping to try and wedge it up but ended up stopping at a posh supermarket/service station in my now sopping wet cycling kit and no shoes, to get some string. Was 2 hours late to meet Duncan, and so I missed my sausage roll and cake. But it all worked out in the end, rode another 125k home in 5h15 which was quicker than I thought despite the headwind.

Anyway he says he’s handy with a welder so here’s hoping he can force it through another MOT.

bearnecessities

Good Lord; what an effort to make it happen. Great work, Mr Molgrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

Effort wasn’t strictly required. My wife offered to drive me 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

This bit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391741359644 Or further back? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-1-0-Exhaust-Rear-Back-Box-Tail-Pipe-Tailpipe-Finisher-/191565694773 Yaris exhausts aren’t very expensive. If he can do the welding it’s all good.
    The exhausy problem was further forward when we had it, so I assume Marko’s repair is still holding?

Ambrose

Chwarae teg Molly, fair play. That’s a bloody good effort!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘New car looming, who’s next for the gnusmobile?’ is closed to new replies.