Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New camera time – any Fuji/Panasonic users here?
  • bajsyckel

My Canon S95 seems to have some kind of sensor issue and, unlike lens issues previously, I don’t seem to be able to sort it. So I’m looking for a “do it all” replacement. My priorities are something reasonably portable, reliable & robust (to put up with biking/outdoorsish), good image quality RAW/jpeg, and, coming from a luddite/analogue background, good degree of manual options. In a lot of ways, the simpler the better as that gives less distractions and things to go wrong. Budget is anything from £350-£500ish and though I still have some film gear I’m not wedded to any brand/system etc.

Ideally I’d get my hands on some to get a feel for them but there are no camera shops local to me any more so wondered if anyone on here had any experience/comments. I’ve been looking around for a few days and am gravitating towards a couple of Panasonic Lumix and Fuji cameras in various sales (Fuji X-T100, Lumix LX10, LX100 and GX9). It’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges I know, and the specs are easy to compare and online reviews are OK, but anyone who has taken these out and about biking etc and can say how they stand up to that kind of thing would be ideal. So any thoughts on these, or anything else out there that you’d recommend?

siwhite
    Free Member

Ex-Panasonic GX-8 and current Fuji X-T3 owner here.

Panasonic was technically competent and capable but quite soulless – really dull to use. The Fuji is in another league – almost feels organic in the hands, with everything layed out beautifully and nicely finished.

You could do far worse than an X-T100 for access to a world of lovely lenses, but be aware that the 4K video doesn’t have a very high framerate. X-T30 is due out early this year FYI – https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t30-to-be-released-first-quarter-2019/ which will be a shade over your budget but will be a splendid camera.

sarawak
    Free Member

I use Fuji regularly.
    Got an X-T2 as main camera and X100F as travel/day out with wifey camera.
    Good stuff.
    I do take the X100F on the bike when I think the light will be right. I’m a roadie so it doesn’t bounce around, but a small Lowepro pouch will be enough for mtb use.
    If the link works here are some images…
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/49561411@N02/

willard

We’ve just got a Fuji X-(something) for video work here at the office and I’m quietly impressed. I’ve only had my hands on it for a couple of minutes, but the video seems nice (apart from random re-metering) and a couple of the photos were pretty damned good. A lot of that might be the lens… That cost a fair bit too.

Camera itself reminds me a _lot_ of my old Nikon D1h. Many options for ISO and colour balancing and other manual settings, but the auto settings seem to work well enough.

WildHunter2009

I replaced my Pentax K30 with an XT-20 earlier this year and its a genuinely lovely camera. Good size and takes lovely shots although I am still getting used to it. Only thing it doesn’t have which I did want is weather sealing but its a big jump up in the Fuji range to the XT-2 etc.
    I have no real interest in video either which helped make the decision. From what I saw and read the panasonic’s are significantly better in that respect.

bajsyckel

Useful thoughts so far everyone, thanks. I had read about limitations of video on Fuji but it’s not a priority for me so no deal breaker. I guess aside from the added bulk one thing putting me off any kind of “system” is the rabbit hole of gear acquisition that I might get tempted down. But then compacts seem a bit easier to damage somehow – that’s just a preconception though, I’ve no idea how true it is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

RX100 for me – compactness rules (had a few M4/3 previously) and I’m never good/spoddy enough to spend ages looking for differences…

Also ties in with a low end Shimano road groupset, I’ve just realised.

Apologies I see thisn’t the answer you are looking for!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Local shop to me is listing new stock Panasonic DC-GX800 in black with 12-32 lens for £200 – very tempted to get one myself to replace a recently defunct Canon Powershot G15.

bajsyckel

@cynic-al – the RX100 is one that I had considered as they always get talked about. I had kind of discounted them as the newer versions are crazy money. However the mark 3 version would be about budget and smaller than any of the others – pretty much jersey pocket size so will look at those too.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx99

Sony HX99 £399 @ John Lewis , very small , metal case big zoom.

rossburton
    Free Member

Love my (bought used) X-T1. Still a competent camera despite at the time being two models old, but still getting firmware updates. The only downside is that lenses are relatively expensive compared to Nikon/Canon which have a large selection of non-brand lenses, but that’s more than made up by the fact that my camera and lens are now smaller in weight and size than just the body of my old Canon.

Kamakazie

Big fan of the m43 system. I use Olympus bodies now as for photos I think they edge the Panasonic’s but both are nice to use.

If you want zoom lenses then there’s nothing as compact with nearly as good quality.
    The XT20 with the smaller primes looks good though!

gra

Good timing OP, interested in this too. To those with an xt2/xt3 realistically would you say it’s too big to take along on bike rides in a standard pack, or would I be better with an xt20/xe3? From what I can tell xe3 with a pancake is about the size of the X100.

Cheers

Ps op Fuji have cashback deals on currently but I think they finish Wednesday.

bajsyckel

^ no worries gra – still swithering over it so any more input welcome.

kiwijohn

@gra, depends on your ride. I happily take my XT1 withe the 18-135mm on gravel rides & bikepacking using either a peak designs sling lite or capture clip on a shoulder strap.
    For more mountainous rides, I have it in a mind shift trail pack, which offers more protection & still quick access.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am in the process of upgrading from an Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkII set up to a Fuji X-T3 as my small, light rig. The Olympus was pretty good all things considered, the Fuji is epic. No problem taking the Fuji on the bike or anywhere else.

I just need to sell the Olympus now to buy new glass!

OP – if you are looking at Fuji and m4/3 systems then I would say an Olympus OM-D E-M10 would be worth a look as more of a direct comparison rather than Panasonic. The Olympus has that same tactile quality to it and is plenty robust enough. I would also look at used kit and see if that allows you to push up the ranges a bit to get stuff like weather sealing or a more robust body design.

If anyone is interested in a used extensive Olympus set up give me a shout. I haven’t really decided what I am selling it for yet, but it has some rather tasty lenses! Selling or trading it is on the list of things to do this year!

thenorthwind

Olympus OM-D E-M10

This is what I’ve had (Mk III) since last summer, and it’s a great camera. Olympus have a scheme where you can book a “test drive” with a local camera shop, which allowed me to test it for a weekend at no cost. I’d already pretty much settled on it, but this was a big help in making the final decision. I wanted to get my hands on it before buying, but there are so many features on modern cameras that you really need some time to use it.

If anyone is interested in a used extensive Olympus set up give me a shout.

I really shouldn’t ask (potential for temptation), but go on, what lenses you got?

Oh, and +1 for the Peak Designs Capture Clip for riding with a camera. Also the rain shell.

nedrapier

I’ve got an LX7, I chose it over the RX100 (Mk1 at the time) as the manual adjustments are nicer to use – e.g. lens barrel adjustment for aspect ratio and aperture, and a wider, faster lens. and it was cheaper. I’m sorely tempted by the LX100 now.

But the LX7 is a bit too chunky to take on most bike rides, so I end up using the phone almost all the time. I think I might get myself a RX100 and an alpha A7 of some description. I’m not sure the chunky bridge actually works for me in practice. I’m not a Sony fan particularly, but those have come to the front when I’ve been looking.

when I’ve looked before, I’ve decided that the Mk4 RX100 is the best compromise of updates and price. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX100#Model_differences
    Although I’ve just had another look, now I’m not so sure! AF points and sensor swung it for me, I think.

bajsyckel

Thanks for the additional views folks. I had actually ruled out Olympus offerings having held a client’s one for a bit it just didn’t feel “right”. Possibly something of a mixed blessing as although I used and loved some of their film gear they are a bit pricy for current needs.

2nd hand not really an option as I don’t have anywhere near selling any more where I can get hands on and check out condition etc.

Think I’m pretty much decided on which 2 it’s down to, and then just need to decide which is the decisive factor in one or other’s favour.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Gear I am disposing of:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkII body
    Olympus 9-18mm f4 – 5.6 (surprisingly competent, and small/light which helps)
    Olympus 12mm f2 (very, very nice)
    Olympus 45mm f1.8 (also very, very nice)
    Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro (another really nice one)
    Olympus 75-300mm f4.8 – 6.7

I am keeping hold of a couple of bits for my wife to use on my older E-M5 mk I

cp

Capt. Kronos –

If thenorthwind isn’t interested, could you pm me details of the 12, 45 & 60 please.

Kamakazie

Olympus 9-18mm f4 – 5.6
    Olympus 45mm f1.8
    Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro

I have these and they are all very good. The 9-18 actually get’s the most use…. as I prefer my 20mm to the 45mm for a carry round but it is still a great lens.
    Shame you don’t have any of the fast zooms. I fancy swapping some of mine for one to use as a travel lens. I get a bit frustrated swapping lenses around all the time whilst out on holiday.

DrJ

Drifting off topic but – Cap’n – I assume you are keeping a 12-40 2.8 for yourself? That is a cracking “walk around” lens!

thenorthwind

Cheers Capt. I think those I’d be interested in I wouldn’t be able to justify at the moment 🙁

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

cp – sent you a message.

ALso, if anyone is interested, I have a Lee 75 filter system that may be going too. I need to use the 100mm system with the Fuji for wide angle stuff so there isn’t much sense in having a duplicate smaller set up.

Comprises a holder, set of ND grads (soft IIRC), a Big Stopper, poleriser and lens hood.

geetee1972
    Free Member

2nd hand not really an option as I don’t have anywhere near selling any more where I can get hands on and check out condition etc.

If you buy over the web from somewhere like Ffordes, MPB, Wex or Park Cameras, you have 14 days in which you can return the item and under distance selling regulations get a no quibble refund.

Kamakazie

Drifting off topic but – Cap’n – I assume you are keeping a 12-40 2.8 for yourself? That is a cracking “walk around” lens!

That’s what I’m looking to get for holiday etc. Pricey mind!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New camera time – any Fuji/Panasonic users here?’ is closed to new replies.