Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New build, (warning plastic, main stream brand, 26er, hardtail)
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Finally built and ready to ride over the weekend.

Trek 9.9ssl carbon frame, size 19.5, 2009 model, plus carbon post
    RS Reba Race 2010 forks
    Complete XT brakes and gears
    Thompson stem and Specialized bars off a friends Stumpjumper, thanks Matt
    Selle Italia filante saddle
    Scott grips
    Mavic crossrides
    NN and RR rubber
    Basic but indestructible SPD's

Not super light, I guess around 24.5lb, could loose 2lbs without breaking the bank, but quite frankly I'm gonna get loads of miles in first, as I'm starting to believe that weight ultimately doesn't really matter that much.

Thanks to njee20 for the help with a couple of simple to questions.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Hey thats a really sweet build for what you have spent on it. I really like the frame and seen it built-up in the full xtr version etc. Well done and enjoy!

tinribz
    Free Member

Does having a carbon frame mean you have to stick to the blue routes?

I find myself worrying about the steel hardtail on the red ones lately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattp
    Free Member

lovely – carbon is the future

Mister-P
    Free Member

Granny ring to small sprocket = photo fail.

PrinceJohn

Could you have found a longer stem, that one looks a little short….

donsimon
    Free Member

XC bike + riser bars = fail.
    IMHO. 😆

Are you moving the seat further back any time soon?

oxnop
    Free Member

Looks nice and I'm sure you like it but I think that's the longest seatpost I've ever seen!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Stem is 110, but look way longer in those shots.

Small to small fail, agree.

Saddle position not fixed yet, but I assume the comment was sarcastic?

I'm finding those riser bars really nice, although agree that most true XC race bikes have flat bars.

Actual seat post quite short but the extended seat tube and post together are long. Shorter in the second shot as its been set up correctly there.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Really like it,

A few xc riders are starting to use risers especially slightly widers ones because it gives your more control and the position opens your chest allowing more air into your lungs and giving you a quicker recovery. Some funny looking italian dude was on about it in cycling weekly.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

the position opens your chest allowing more air into your lungs and giving you a quicker recovery.

…so presumably we'll be seeing Cavendish, Contador et al. all riding with far wider bars this season too, eh… 😉

garage-dweller

Luverly – except the stem, which seems to be stretching out to somewhere in mainland Europe where it can be joined with some narrow straight bars!

avdave2

the position opens your chest allowing more air into your lungs and giving you a quicker recovery.

I seem to vaguely recall everyone saying how Greg Lemond would not be able to breath properly using tri bars. I bet Laurent Fignon wished he hadn't listened to them.

njee20
    Free Member

The chest argument is vaguely valid, climbing in the drops can stop your lungs expanding fully, don't think risers makes a difference on that front though.

Tis a nice looking bike, I think Trek have done well the last couple of years. Agree on the granny ring photo though, that's a no no!

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Nice bike but you must be very tall – that is the highest seat post/tower combo I've ever seen!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow back from a very hot and arduous 40km loop.

Managed to break my chain after 3km, crash at 15km and get nailed by a tree around 30km.

Still points to note: Bottom bracket seems lower than my old Fisher as I kept hitting things. The difference in Deore and XT shifting is quite marked.Having saddle pointing to the moon issues and a slight lateral movement in the bottom bracket. Else not too bad, very pleased in fact.

For reference I'm 6.2", there is 30cm between the top tube and seat rails, but only 12cm of actual post.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New build, (warning plastic, main stream brand, 26er, hardtail)’ is closed to new replies.