• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New build dilemma
  • scotroutes

So – I have a nice new Ti 29er frame and lots of nice, good condition 9-speed kit (XTR cranks, rear mech shifters and brakes, XT front mech and cassette) to go on it. Thing is, I keep looking at the shiny new 2×10 setups (especially now there’s a 40/42T rear option) and wondering if I should bite the bullet and do the “upgrade”. I can’t think of any genuine, logical reason to do so but since when did logic dictate these things???

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Just build it, I’ve been waiting all week.

slackalice
    Free Member

It depends upon whether a 2x set up is an ‘upgrade’ for the type of riding you do, isn’t it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

29er and you’re worried about things being “new”?

The whole thing is deader than Farah slacks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve got the cash druid, spunk it on our behalfs.

Then we’ll laugh long and hard at you.

Still on 8 speed here, there are many many things id buy before 10 speed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh dear CFH…”more dead”.

*passes service revolver*

DT78
    Free Member

Clutch mech is worth upgrading from 9 speed. Wouldn’t bother for just an extra cog.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Back order xtr 9000 tomorrow :O)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

‘Twas a deliberate typo! Paraphrasing a Red Dwarf quote, and thinking of something more deaderer than corduroy!

P20

Go for the 10spd.
    I had XTR 970/2 kit, arguably the nicest shifters I’d ever used. I went for 2×10 XT. 40/28 – 11/36. Main appeal was the clutch mech which works brilliantly. I don’t regret ditching the XTR to go 10spd

Kahurangi

@scotroutes – if you’re happy with a front mech then don’t get suckered in by the extender cog options. You will notice that missing sprocket.

@CFH – I believe the thing more deader than corduroy is seersucker*

*from watching out-takes videos in my youth. This gag didn’t get any laughs so they tried it again with corduroy.

matt_outandabout

Go 2×10 and sell all the nice 9sp stuff to me for mrs_oab’s bike and daft cheap rate. 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just run what you brung… It isn’t going to change your life as much as you think it might. You’ll still have to press some buttons to pedal at a different speed.

Houns

You need the current (10 speed) xtr group set. Oh and what Tap said 😡

takisawa2

Farah slacks

[checks wardrobe]

scaredypants

*passes service revolver*

I’ve not seen that on the bristol stool chart – is it a zero ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You need the current (10 speed) xtr group set. Oh and what Tap said 😡

For once, the camp one, is correct… 😉

cookeaa

Get it built with the 9 speed stuff so you can ride it, the only real difference between 2×9 and 2×10 would be a clutch and a cog, not worth the spend or wait for parts.

Plus XTR 11 speed is imminent (apparently), spunking a chunk of cash on the latest and greatest 10 speed kit only for it to be superseded and hence obtainable for less would just serve to wind me up…

scotroutes

So, firmly in the 9 speed camp then eh?

STW has disappointed me. I fully expected a push towards the shiny shiny.

Mind you, this way I can use those XT Dual Control levers…..

br
    Free Member

I’m running a 9-spd mixture of XTR, XT and keep looking at the shiny kit and while I can still buy 9-spd XT rear mechs and cassettes cheap can’t really see the point of going 2/3×10.

And based upon where (and the routes) I ride, really can’t see 1×11 been any good – ie hasn’t a bail-out gear.

Plus, you could easily buy all near and then **** the mech on the first ride, so may as well wear out the current gear.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New build dilemma’ is closed to new replies.