Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New build because of just one part?
  • akip
    Free Member

Anyone built up a whole, brand-new bike, simply because they happened to have one single solitary part that just needed to be allowed to fulfill its existence?

I have a spare saddle sitting on my desk, staring at me, begging to be used.

clubber
    Free Member

Of course. Will no one think of the spare parts?

That poor saddle. Lonely, unused, gathering dust. Building a bike for it is the only humane thing to do.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anyone built up a whole, brand-new bike, simply because they happened to have one single solitary part that just needed to be allowed to fulfill its existence?

No…not yet…

That is about the best excuse I’ve ever seen to justify a brand new build… 😆

kcal

I won a pair of forks (in this here magazine / site) and ended up with a new (to me) bike out of it, not a cobbled together collection of spare bits but an additional bike.. still got it, still love it. SS Kona.

honourablegeorge

Had a bar stem and seatpost here for a couple of days, found myself searching the classifieds for a 29er frame.

Luckily I sold them in time.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had a drop handlebar lying around for years (despite never having actually owned a drop-barred bike). One too-cheap-to-pass-up frame, three months, and some choice 2nd-hand puchases later and I have a cross bike.

akip
    Free Member

Agreed Clubber! Can’t help now scouring local classifieds, for parts to befriend this lonely Gobi.

Thing is that I managed to rationalise down to one “do-it-all” mountain bike three or so months ago, selling almost all of my old spare bits. Maybe I just can’t help feeling that I may not be a one-bike-man.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a old piss colour mavic 317 on a hope hub thats dying to be part of a pair fitted to a pace build classifieds and ebay are on constant watch 🙂

sharkattack

Yes I have a Renthal Fatbar with ODI Longnecks on it and I’m about to build a full new hardtail around it.

On the other hand I just sold my almost perfect bike because of the PF30 bottom bracket.

clubber
    Free Member

I rationalised down to one MTB a few years back. Let’s just say that it seems to have reproduced… 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

@ parksie: have you scoured retrobike ads? There have been a few of those citron Mavic rims for sale over the last few months on the ‘1998 on’ board.

😀

parkesie
    Free Member

Watching a pair on ebay atm also got excited at the red pace frame but its too small 🙁

It was my dream bike when i started riding, worrried when i finnaly build one ill hate it
    😆

GJP
    Free Member

I built a whyte 19 carbon hardtail from a Thomson seat post. So what started as a £70 post ended up being a bike costing over £2.5 k. Only to find At the end I discovered I needed a 410 mm post and not the 367 mm I started with 😳

Candodavid
    Free Member

Got a spoon ready to sit on top of something, but I am moving on other parts to help fund, just can’t say what it is though

tall_martin

A mate bent his chainring and used it to buy a whole new bike.

Well, he would have needed a new chain set, might as well get a new bottom bracket if you do that, why not service the forks, rim was worne, could get a new wheel why not get a front disk brake while he was at it, get a new frame to get a rear disk…..

that was 5 years ago, he bent a chair ring the other day… and bought a chain ring. I was dissapointed

scotroutes

I broke a seatpost once and my wife suggested I needed a new bike.

Who am I to disagree with a woman?

ads678

Not built a bike from one bit, but built a new bike because the free hub on my old GT died! Cost me about £600 to build up. Then a few months later I fitted a free hub from a spare hub I had hanging around and gave the wheel to my bro in law!!

Shhh, don’t tell the missus…..

scaredypants

OP, I bet you’ll get the bike built and find the saddle hurts your arse 😆

Kahurangi

Best way to get the rest of the components is to buy a whole new bike and put the saddle on that.

But wait…

lunge

I built a bike from a pair of Easton EA90 handlebars. Seemed a shame they were wasted so various bits were built to add to them. Turned out 680mm bars weren’t wide enough anyway so I had to buy some new bars anyway.

Right now, I also have a pair of drop bars, a stem and a saddle sitting around. Hmm…

jkomo

I have a pair of xc 26” wheels, I’m thinking of building a 29er around them.

ddmonkey

Yes – I find a nice stem just sitting there is a real tempter….

llama

I bought a 29er tube by mistake so I bought a 29er (setup tubeless)

tazzymtb

I have a thimble full of stans left..needs some new wheels to go with it and then obviously another bike. Actually thinking about a black sheep ti fat bike….god that’s going to be an expensive pool of latex!

wwaswas

someone on twitter was saying that they dreamed they owned a fat bike and was this sufficient justification for buying one.

Consensus was that it justified a purchase.

So you don’t need to actually own any physical parts, just have a dream.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I built my unit because of that.

Had some crank brother bars and some conti tyres sitting around, when I finished the build it had some element bars and ardents!!!

I seem to be snapping up nice pieces of finishing kit when they come up cheap on eBay to go in the parts bin…. For this very reason!

johnny

I have a hope XC 28h front hub in my parts bin… thinking of building a disc-braked CX bike around it…

jwr

I have a spare 10-speed chain and have been pricing up a Cotic Soul to go with it….

Bregante

Pretty sure I have a crown race in the garage somewhere.

Hmmmm

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.

I had a lefty Fork lying around.

So I built a Singlespeed.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I wanted a belt-drive bike, so I bought a Gates belt.
    Then built a bike around it. Does that count?

Kahurangi

I wanted a belt-drive bike, so I bought a Gates belt.
    Then built a bike around it. Does that count?

Works for me. If you ever do need want another bike, I’m also happy to write a referral 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New build because of just one part?’ is closed to new replies.