Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Buff Time
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Current Buff is in need of replacing, and before I just get a bog standard one. I figured I would see if it’s worth getting one of the many variants there now are:

Thinking possible a thermal one as winter is on it’s way.

Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I switched to the merino buffs for skiing a few years ago. Never looked back. They’re a little longer than a ‘standard’ one, but work very well for me.

Major advantage is the lack of stinkiness. 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

I have just bought the Windstop version, the Cyclone I believe. No real reason other than the main reason I wear one is to keep the wind off my neck and Windproof material seems a nice way to do this 😀 Merino seems like a very sensible option too although I tend to wash them quite often so smells and wotnot are less of a concern

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    letmetalktomark

I went with an Endura Baa Baa one for about £14.

Nine merimo – very long – no itching and no stink 🙂

Houns

2nd merino

fasthaggis

The TK of MaXX has buff style things at much cheapness

Jamie
    Free Member

I do like the look of the Cyclone, as it’s the windchill that normally gets me.

chakaping
    Free Member

MBUK are probably due another free gift Buff about now.

mangatank
    Free Member

Marino is unbeatable in terms of performance. Well worth any extra price.

zilog6128

I went with an Endura Baa Baa one for about £14.

Might try one of those. Of course, you can 6 “oxford” brand ones in TK Maxx for that price, which also solves the stink problem, as you can have a new one every day!

Jamie
    Free Member

I bought some of the Oxford ones from TK Maxx last year, and they are good for the price, but are quite solid in their ability to let some air flow through in an direction. As in they don’t.

bullheart
    Free Member

Marino is unbeatable in terms of performance

True dat…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use raphas merino “neckalce” I have a couple, orange and purple and a can’t recommend them highly enough. I only use them for propers cold days though so thats sub 2C with windchill about -2C, kicking a roadie around does get a bit fresh. Don’t use them on my Niner as speeds are far less and my body temps are up and I don’t really like anything around my neck.
    Don’t ski, so can’t help there.
    I do have a Buff but it stinks from sailing so it resides in my kit bag for emergencies..

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t ski, so can’t help there.

Neither do I, it’s only Flashy Pants that does.

Hmm. So I am now erring towards Merino Buff…£5 cheaper as well. They last/wash/hold their shape ok?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

merino buff. simples.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As it happens, I often ski in merino pants as well. 🙂

wallop

If it’s merino you won’t need to wash it!

Jamie
    Free Member

If it’s merino you won’t need to wash it!

Well, that’s one down. How about keeping it’s shape? Does it stay nice and snug, or end up like a wizard’s sleeve?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Merino buffs are great, but I prefer the regular one under my lid unless it’s really chilly.

The longer merino is a thicker and a little too long unless you’re covering your ears a bit, IMHO.

sv

Polartec one – fine material for under the helmet and then fleece material for the neck area, works well.

geoffj

They’re a little longer than a ‘standard’ one, but work very well for me.

When does a long buff become a snood?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

When it’s worn like one. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When only the tip of your head is poking through.

Jamie
    Free Member

Reet. I have taken onboard all of you comments, and ordered something completely different as is normal on STW a cyclone and a merino one from Amazon to compare.

Gawd I love free returns 8)

One thing. Word on the street is that the Merino ones can lose their shape…any thoughts?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah they die if you boil wash them 🙄

So long as washing machine temps don’t go higher than about 30C you should be fine… Then a spin and air dry, don’t stick em in the tumble dryer though eh…. Or they might just fit Barbie Girl or become a collar for your mens parts… 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Yeah they die if you boil wash them

I was planning on never washing it. Merino, innit.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Absolutely love my merino one. It’s so long I reckon I could make 2 decent length ones out of it though

Jamie
    Free Member

Just as an update, kept the merino wool one in the end. Doesn’t look like it will hold it’s shape as well as the cyclone, but will be more versatile for day to day use, whereas the cyclone is very focused and to be honest is probably better suited for use on a motorbike etc.

benji
    Free Member

Just got an Endura one, that’s finished in my new team colours, should be ideal for frosty cross races.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Genuine Buff merino ones feel, wash and last great – but just be a bit careful with exposed velcro bits on your gloves / shorts / pads / whatever when you’re washing them together. One speaks from experience…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Buff Time’ is closed to new replies.