Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • new budget wheels for road bike
  • MadBillMcMad

I have an aging PlanetX Carbon Pro bike – 7 years old or so with the original wheels.

Looking at Merlin for want of of better place would I benefit from a £100 ish pair of wheels.

Something like Shimano RS11, RS21, or pushing the boat out to RS330.

brassneck

I think you might need to spend a little more to get something better – £100 is more straight replacement, for a pair. I’d look £300 ish – decent handbuilts or Hunt 4Seasons for a pre built wheelset.

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-icon-ultra-11speed-wheelsets-2024.htm

£75 with Code MAYMAD25. Dropped 300g compared to R500 wheels which came with new road bike.

2 rides in and they seem fine. Limited colours left.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d spend a bit more than £100.

Campagnolo Zondas can be had for reasonable prices at times, and are fairly lightweight and stiff.

MadBillMcMad

thanks all,

yeah I think you are right.
    It will be worth it I am sure.

nathb
    Free Member

Fulcrum Racing quattro’s – “slightly” over budget at circa £160 though.

Really have transformed my bike compared with what I had previously.

anagallis_arvensis

I got Fulcrum racing 7 with tyres and tubes for £160. They work.

SaxonRider

I would draw your attention to these

Campagnolos from Wiggle.

At the pricepoint you’re talking, and very stiff. I have been using them all winter, and been extremely pleased.

nbt

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    I got Fulcrum racing 7 with tyres and tubes for £160. They work.

Good to know as I just ordered a pair for my bike: the rims are more or less done and the hubs, having seen three sets of rims to date, are now feeling a bit graunchy. They’ve arrived but I’m off the bike for another four weeks due to a minor op on my foot. Price alert, don’t read on if you don’t want to see the new price but they are currently £120 at CRC with a further £10 of using the code MID2016.

dickie
    Free Member

I have a pair of Shimano RS81 C24 with Schwalbe Ultremo 25mm tyres you can have for £225.
    They have only had about half a dozen rides.
    These;
    RS81

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Check out Wiggle’s alloy Cosine wheels. I very much like the tubeless 32mm ones I have.

anagallis_arvensis

they are currently £120 at CRC

Good price, I got mine from LBS so was happy to pay a bit more as they made the effort sell them to me

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm a post answering a question no one asked… Well done.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Had r11’s on my new road bike. Said had as they were swapped once it was home. Lead wheels anyone?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘new budget wheels for road bike’ is closed to new replies.