• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New brakes time… Recommendations please.
  • mikezer0
    Free Member

Righty ho, I’m after some new brakes for use in the Peak District primarily and the odd trip to the Alps and Scotland.

The obvious choice is XT, but I keep hearing that the modulation isn’t as good as Avid (which obviously have their own issues).

Zee/Saint seems a bit overkill.

Anyone actually tried the new Sram Guides?

How about Hope?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve tried the new Guide brakes and they’re damn good. The only way I can describe them is that they’ve got the great modulation that you get in the current X0 Trails but the lever feel of the XTs. You really can set the lever up however you want. The adjustments are all really effective.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Elixir 9 trails. Job done.

Northwind

I’ll do the same thing I always do and recommend Formula The Ones… Downhill powerful, XC light, pea-through mattress modulation, crashworthy and reliable, and all parts available to buy if need be. Only real downside is the very high cost (both new, and for parts), even I’ve got to admit they’re a hard sell.

Flaperon

Perfectly happy with the modulation from my Shimano brakes but if you’re traditionally a two-finger braker then I think you’ll find them grabby. On the other hand, I’m not convinced about their longevity and the power decreases slightly as the pads wear so that solves the grabby problem.

If money was no object and I was choosing, I’d go Hope.

somouk
    Free Member

Would be XT for me… I like the grabby feel but you can always set them up to have a bit more lever travel and they appear less grabby.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

XTR Trails 🙂

Was a Formula fan, but managed to have quite a few issues with them surrounding reliability (no surprise there) as they are hit and miss at best.

I looked at Hopes before, but they didn’t (and still don’t as far as I’m aware) do anything that is as powerful, or as light as an XTR.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Shimano every time. SLX or XT.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to XT. Pretty happy.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Formula The Ones, having had them on various bikes over the past few years, and also for the same reasons as Northwind, but I recently picked up a set of R0’s from Merlin when they were doing a complete set, including discs, for £280, and they are now my new favourites. Fantastic modulation and power.

elusiverider
    Free Member

slx if on a budget. no worries.

rocketman
    Free Member

How about Hope?

Yup E4s here

Like an XT/Zee or XTR/Saint combo but with a proppa moto feel. Shimano are nice but sometimes I think the action is just too light. The E4s have the same precise feel but with a firmer action. Huge gobs of power I’ve gone down from 200/180 rotors to 180/160s

Also look and feel as though they’ve been carefully made in a big shed in Lancashire and not just churned out of a machine

jedi

XT all the way

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New brakes time… Recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.