Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • New brakes £150
  • djl1

Picked up an aeris 145 frameset for my 40th later in the year and the next part of the build is brakes.

What are the current go to for about £150? Stopping power over weight etc is the priority although i appreciate im at the lower end of the budget

Weedling
    Free Member

Magura MT5’s !!

olly2097
    Free Member

Deores with some change

blitz

Deore 4-pots

samwilk200
    Free Member

Deore 4 pots from Rose bikes

jruk
    Free Member

Deore 4 pots probably but have a look on Bike Discount. New SLX for £150 or Magura Trails, 4 pot front, 2 pot rear, for the same price.

djl1

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, will check them all out. Are the deores the 501?

jree
    Free Member

I’ve got MT5s. Unbelievable stopping power

julians
    Free Member

I just bought a front and rear set of magura mt5 4 pot brakes for 140 quid from bike discount, they seem decent for the price.

Not as much stopping power as the sram code rsc I have on my other bike, but good enough for most riding, more power than the hope e4 I used to have.

The lever body feels a bit flimsy when you’re mounting it on the bars but is surprisingly fine in use.

flicker
    Free Member

Magura mt5. My eldest has them on his bike (I run guide r) and I’m particularly envious of the stopping power they have, superb brakes.

salad_dodger

Have Shimano fixed their leaking pistons issue yet?

matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab has MT5’s with Kevlar Uberbike pads. Incredible power and control. A bit narrower between rotor and pad, occasionally they rub. They’re the next brakes I want due to sheer power and feel.

That said, my Deore 4 pots also running Uberbike Kevlar pads are fabulous – good power, fade free and just work.

bigalid

Magura MT trail sports
    A MT5 4-pot calliper up front, and a 2-pot on the rear.

Having tried several other brakes These are the ones i will now fit to all my bikes in the future.

breninbeener

Slight hijack, but is there any love for the MT4 2 piston brakes?
    Im looking for some reliable decent brakes for my rigid bikepack bike.
    I have had the variable bitepoint issue and microleaks with Shimano in the past. Id like some Hope X2 but my budget wint stretch that far unless i would be mad not to….
    Any recommendations?

Ian

alan1977
    Free Member

i run zees on everything, usually pick them up 75 quid a end if you get them when they are on offer

ogri
    Free Member

There are two sets of XT brakes in the classified at the mo’.

johnjn2000

I have Magura MT5’s on one Bird and the Shimano M520 4-piston on the other Bird and both are really good so far. I am 13.5 stone and they stop me far quicker than they need to, the Magura are cosmetically far superior, they look lovely, the Shimano’s just do what they are supposed to do but look bland.

matt_outandabout

Slight hijack, but is there any love for the MT4 2 piston brakes?

MT4’s are good – same lever as MT5 and single pot.
    I had MT2’s before which were on par with Deore 2-pot for power, felt nicer.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Maguras have a flimsy lever and the lever arc is all wrong, as the master cylinder is mounted in a very strange position compared to other brakes. Surprised no one has mentioned this.

JP

wiggles
    Free Member

I have some old magura MTS and have ridden bikes with some of the new ones and have to agree with the post above. They just feel weird the levers are a weird shape and seem to always have a lot of travel before they bite.

I’ve had, magura avid brakes, SRAM guides, hope e4s and various Shimano brakes. The only ones I regretted swapping for something else was shimano Zee’s just so much power and great feeling brakes. Xt and XTR are very similar so would be interested to try the new 4 pot versions

onehundredthidiot

Winstanleys doing my trail sport for 130 quid.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Merlin are doing Magura MT Sport for £43 an end. I’ve got ’em on my hardtail – they come with ‘comfort pads’ whatever they are so pop them out and stick in a set of sintered/resin of your choice.

I’d heard of the flimsy lever before I’ve bought them but I think its decently solid.

Nice to have some brakes that aren’t leaking pistons (looking at you Deore…)

Weedling
    Free Member

You can run Magura calipers with Shimano levers for the best of both options.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can get Formula Cura’s for that now.

I’d rather run them over any Shimano brake, from Deore to XTR.

Magura levers feel really weird.

lewzz10
    Free Member

Magura levers feel really weird.

+1, brilliant brakes.

Bigmantrials

+2 for this, I am pretty heavy and the cura 2 pots were great, riding slightly different stuff now so have moved to the 4 piston version.

davewalsh
    Free Member

For those using formula curas, have any of you tried the ispec B shifter mount and if so, how well does it work?

lewzz10
    Free Member

For those using formula curas, have any of you tried the ispec B shifter mount and if so, how well does it work?

I am currently, it’s totally acceptable but not very polished to look at if that matters. Used it with 10spd Saint and 11spd XT shifters for reference.

You can slide the shifter in/out towards the bar ends as normal, and have some rotation on the mount too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘New brakes £150’ is closed to new replies.