New boiler required

Home Forum Chat Forum New boiler required

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New boiler required
  • pacerc200

Had a quote of £3800 for a worchester greenstar 550cdi to replace to knackered glufstream 2000. House built 2003 4 bed 3 bathroom detached. Is this quote in the ball park or way off. Was thinking about £2000 but I’m rubbish with the price if things. £2000 we get a boiler and a holiday and poss flog a bike, nearer £3800 no holiday and bikes will needs to be sold. Any heating/plumbers got any advise? West of Scotland.

headfirst

Where do you live? Islington?**New boiler will cost plumber 500 – 1000. The rest is his labour and in your case above his barefaced cheek.

Get a couple more quotes.

**Edit: Scotland?? Bejaysus. The world’s gone mad

Edit 2: bloody hell that boiler is 2k trade price!

dyls

That boiler online is £2k, add 10% for plumber collection etc, one day to install (?), say £250, and a little for materials, readjusting pipes etc, so my guestimate is…….£2,500. Id get afew quotes as well.

headfirst

There are cheaper and just as good boilers. I’m not a plumber but my friendly, nothing in it for him plumber tells me that you can’t go wrong buying anything in Vaillant’s range. Have a look on direct heating supplies website to compare makes, models and prices.

nealglover

Shouldn’t be anywhere near £3800.

It’s an expensive boiler, but even taking that I to account, if its a straight swap (going in the same place as the old one) and there isn’t much pipe work to change, I would reckon it should cost no more than £2500 – £2750

Just ask the plumber who quoted £3800 to provide a breakdown of the price to see where it’s all coming from ?

pacerc200

Thanks for input guys, no question I will get other quotes (this one was from a local company) looked at the quote in more detail, In the £3800 there is a powerflush (Scottish power at the annual service mentioned this as some radiators are cold at bottom) and a manga clean filter thing. Looking online the boiler is coming in at about £2000, filter £109 from screw fix and which website recommends about £400 for flush. So he is looking at £1300 for labour and sundries 😮 good work if you can get it, he’s not at that price. Quote is not broken down just final price
    Thanks, singletrackworld is a font of knowledge.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

FYI my plumber fitted a magnaclean for me for £100 (inc. supply).

bensales

I’ll soon be paying £2800 (inc VAT) for…

– Removal of existing boiler
    – Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 30CDI system boiler and vertical flue
    – Upgrade gas main from meter to boiler
    – Supply and install integral diverter valve
    – Supply and install FW100 weather compensator controller
    – Supply and install 1400 x 600 double panel double convector radiator
    – Supply and install 600 x 600 double panel single convector radiator
    – Flush system and add system protector fluid

From a guy I know and trust and has been working off and on for me and my family for 20 years. The radiators in particular will be a faff involving new pipework. Admittedly the boiler itself I’m having cost about half compared to the 550cdi.

nealglover

Quote is not broken down just final price

That’s because he doesn’t want you know he’s charging you £200 an hour 😉

10 years for a boiler isn’t very impressive – spares are still usually available at that age. Nor would you expect massively sludged up Rads if inhibitor has been used. What’s wrong with the boiler?

IanW

Recently quoted £1700 for wworcester Bosch 28?? Something boiler fitted in a slightly different location, bigger supply pipe, magnetic filter, system flush and the old gubbins water tanks etc removed.

Imagine that’s 50\50 parts and labour so your price sounds a little on the high side, get another quote.

tomlevell

10 years for a modern boiler is pretty good going IMO especially as a generalisation they don’t get serviced properly.

£3800 sounds steep. BUT there’ll be a fair amount of pipework modification and new flue hole probably for the swap.

Will a normal combi do or do you have a particularly large house or large hot water demand?

sharkbait

10 years for a modern boiler is pretty good going IMO especially as a generalisation they don’t get serviced properly

Really? 🙁
    Our old [oil] boiler is at least 25 years old and still going strong. Was thinking about changing but if it’s going to cost £250/year I may not bother.

pacerc200

Tha main issue with the boiler is, it’s crap, of a very poor design, the plate heat exchanger gets badly blocked and trips the overheat stat. Gled hill the manufacturer went bust in 2008 and all remaining stocks of heat exchangers have been used up. Nobody will provide a new service plan for them due to the issues, there is a website dedicated to the issues. It was a new build with corners cut ie no inhibitor that we bought as a repo in 2008, when we purchased all services were either cut off or inthe case of heating/water drained off, we have replaced a couple of radiators due to leaking at seams, been told prob due to a combination of no inhibitor at commissioning and being left drained for 10 mths. This is the house we want the kids to grow up in, good area, lots of outside space, small village, so want to do the upgrades right first time and not have to worry about stuff again till they move out.
    The strange thing about the old boiler is that it has electric back up, a 9kW element to provide heat and water should the gas side fail, it’s like vw selling a T5 and giving you a polo on a trailer just in case you have a breakdown, they must have known it was a rubbish product when new.

pacerc200

Tomlevell, was told original flue hole will be reused and 4 bed 3 bath means larger capacity require.

It’s going in a cupboard in the utility room, current one looks like a 1.5 height tumble dryer, new one would be like a dryer

monkey_boy

we paid £1700 to move old boiler to new wall and installtion of a new valiant with wireless gubbins

dropoff

Two things I’d like to say here
    1 Stay away from Worcester boilers
    2 How many web designers would break down their charges

Just thinking out loud

johndoh

2 – 1 that I know of. Us.

Worcester was rubbish, vaillant has been brilliant

The 550CDI has a hot water flow rate of about 25l/min which you’d probably only ever need if all three bathrooms were getting used at once. If your guy is a Worcester accredited installer you’ll get a 7 year warranty on it as well. There’s only a few other boilers that will get close that sort of flow rate for hot water. Worcester 42CDI is one, worth a look at Vaillant 837 as well. Vaillant is what I’d go for, I work in a plumbers merchant and the ones we have least trouble and sell fewest spares for are those.

Edit: Gledhill didn’t go bust, they’re still about but spares for anything cost a fortune

Vaillant in my house, been there 27 years and I’ve had to change the pump, thats all.

Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

as a worcester installer and repairer.. start with the premiss that good stuff costs money.

your boiler is specced at 2k trade to that add flue and controls.
    a flush is going to take the best part of a day and typically cost 400 inc. materials the installation of a magnaclean is a solid investment i pay 83 trade for them.. ( fitted for 100 quid? give me the guys name he can do half a dozen a day for me at that rate.. british gas want 460 fitted..i usually fit for an hours labour)

its a big old piece of kit and the gear your taking out is no light weight so almost certainly going to be a two man job. even at minimum pay levels thats 70 quid.

copper pipe and especially fittings are expensive and getting more so I allow 100 quid on ‘swaps’

he ll have to put in a couple of litres of cleanser once complete and the same again of inhibitor thats another 30-40 quid.

he ll have to register the work with gas safe no dear but it soaks up time

HMRC rather like us to add 20% to all our invoices. its against the law not to.

3800 is a not an untypical cost frankly. its the hieght of the ‘season’ and time is at a premium he could equally do breakdowns all day for the two/ three days it ll take to install your boiler and make just as much, because as he ll be working on yours he ll be frustrating existing customers as he cant come right now.

as for Worcester reliability.. apart from half dozen distress installs a year for the genuinely skint they are all i do. i havent yet had to repair one i ve installed NEVER.

Bear

What Total says. Why aren’t tradesmen allowed to earn a living?

And it is really hard to comment on an install as each one can be different, there may be a lot of re-routing of pipework for instance.

Personally for something that big I would use a boiler and unvented cylinder.

nealglover

Two things I’d like to say here
    1 Stay away from Worcester boilers[/b]
    2 How many web designers would break down their charges

You may need to explain that one.

I presume you have installed hundreds of them over a period or years and nothing but trouble with them ?

(Or maybe you have just had one, never serviced, that caused problems. Or a crap plumber that told you it wasn’t repairable maybe ?)

soma_rich

as for Worcester reliability.. apart from half dozen distress installs a year for the genuinely skint they are all i do. i havent yet had to repair one i ve installed NEVER.

We have had nothing but problems with our Worcester, 2 separate engineers couldn’t fix ours randomly resetting. Now we are waiting for a Worcester specific engineer but he can only come between 08:00 and 18:00 tomorrow so that’s our Saturday screwed. I will never use them again.

Bear

Soma – why do you think they are any different from any other boiler manufacturer?

I can recall some horror boilers that other manufacturers inflicted on their customers.

Personally like Worcester, fit mainly them and go back to them far less than all other makes, with the possible exception of Vaillant who also make good kit, just I prefer worcester.

pacerc200

Thanks for all opinions/advise, will update when more quotes come in.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New boiler required’ is closed to new replies.