Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • New Bird Day!
  • Premier Icon johnw1984

Hehe, I’m old enough to know better!

Still thinking of a Yellow Ohlins spring…

Premier Icon johnw1984

Finally got to go out on it’s first ride today! I didn’t adjust the rear shock much from the base tune, just a touch less HSR and a touch more LSC. Had to stick a bit of air in the fork, then had to stick a lot more when I let it all out by accident!

Rose-tinted new bike googles/first impression is very positive.

Climbing/Pedalling:
    I was pleasantly surprised by how responsive it is. It’s the first bike I’ve had in a while that feels like it’s goading you to go faster on a climb! Combined with the coil, it feels like it just hoovers small bumps up and spits them back out as traction.

The steep seat tube angle feels like it puts me in the perfect position to get the most out of my leg strength and the front wheel stays on course without any wandering or lifting.

Every stab of the pedals translates well into forward motion, with no soggy feeling or hesitation.

Descending:
    This was as expected to be honest. It feels composed and fast, without feeling choppy or wild. Tried it on a few small jumps, drops, berms and rock/root gardens today. The low bottom bracket with the short rear end makes it corner incredibly well.

The rear suspension feels bottomless and buttery smooth. I’ve missed having a coil on a trail bike and feel they are 100% worth the slight weight penalty over air.

I’m looking forward to getting more used to it and so far, it feels like exactly the kind of bike I’ve been wanting.

One thing to point out is that I’m using a 500lb spring. At my weight that’s on max sag I’d like on this (around 30%). I feel this most on technical climbs where it’s easy to snag a pedal due to how low the BB at sag. I’ll try a 550lb and see how that feels after I’ve had a few more rides.

Here’s a pic of the bike a bit dirtier and a pic of some cute chicks we saw in a nest today. They look a bit like Owls, but I’ve not a clue lol. Birds in a nest… surely that’s a good omen?

Premier Icon robo89
    Free Member

I have to admit it looks a lot better in its natural habitat, that ohlins spring might just be the missing link to tie the yellow bits together nicely, you can go up in 25lb increments with ohlins instead of 550.

Premier Icon johnw1984

Yeah, I noticed that with the Ohlins. When I do get another spring, it’ll be most likely one of those.

Forgot to add, I’ve got a Nukeproof Reactor chain stay protector on the way to replace the neoprene wrap thing.

Premier Icon nixie

Be great if you could post a picture of that fitted please when it arrives. I’m not a fan of the neoprene wrap on mine.

Premier Icon Clink

Stuff the bike (sorry) – look at the owl chicks!!!!!

Premier Icon johnw1984

@nixie Sure, no worries as soon as it’s on 🙂

@Clink
    I know! I was shocked as they were nested in half a tree that had been snapped off. It was just a gentle downhill slope and they just caught my eye.

Premier Icon ogri

John, updates on the chicks please if you ride that trail regularly.

Premier Icon johnw1984

@ogri
    I ride around there at lest once every coupe of weeks, so I’ll pop back and see how they are 🙂

Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

@johnw1984…how heavy are you? Does what you are experiencing with sag tie up with what the Bird site says? How much sag are you aiming for?

Ian

Premier Icon johnw1984

I’m about 16 stone + gear. I don’t carry loads of gear though (2 x 500ml bottles and a multitool, spare tube etc).

I’d say the spreadsheet is pretty spot on. I’m at the maximum of the 500lb spring though. It’s rideable and plush (I don’t notice any harsh bottom out on 4ft drops or small jumps), but I’m going to go up a bit and get another spring to try out.

Premier Icon johnw1984

For anyone who wanted to have a look at the Nukeproof Reactor chain stay protector (excuse the dirt).

It’s a very good fit! I’d say about 95% without trimming it a bit in places.

Premier Icon ta11pau1

I’m on a 500lb spring on my CB IL shock too, sag is around 30% which is a little more than I’d like – but I’m very much a wheels on the ground rider and happy to take the extra plushness for the odd bottom out on bigger landings. I will say I’ve never felt it bottom out, the bottom out rubber is pretty firm so the last 20mm travel should ramp up very quickly.

Premier Icon bruneep

that weld for the shock mount is a bit agricultural is it not? I’d hate to look down at that on a ride.

what’s the rubber thing over the seat clamp for?

Premier Icon nixie

Thanks for the picture. Looks great in place.

The shock mount is not noticeable when your on the bike. It is even less obvious on the raw finish.

Premier Icon johnw1984

Yeah, I try not to look down when I’m using it for it’s intended purpose 🙂

To be fair though, it looks fine in the metal. I think pics make is stand out more.

The rubber thing is a Bike Yoke Willy! It’s to stop grit getting in the seat tube. I’ve found on a lot of aluminium frames I’ve had, most of the creaks have been grit getting between the seat post and tube.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.