Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • New Bird – Aether 7
  • scruff
    Free Member

Going to be running 150mm forks on it with a 44 offset not the 37

What will the difference be with 150 / 44 forks? A bit higher BB, bit slacker with an extra 10mm but what about the 44- is that quicker steering than 37?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m just an old duffer who wants 29er roll-over in preference to travel

I’d profer a bike like this with 2.6 650b tyres will roll over stuff pretty well.

sprocker
    Free Member

Scruff, my understanding is that the reduced offset increases trail and therefore stability, although I am running a longer fork which will slackenit out a bit and may compensate, I can about a bit with stem and bar width a bit as well. Ben at bird said it would be fine to ride so going to give it a go.

jonesyboy

Shorter stays is good, if only it was 29er. Am9 geom looks like a straight line plow through it beast! Longer front, short back, 130/150 travel 29er would be awesome… Pretty much a norco optic.

cookeaa

I’d profer a bike like this with 2.6 650b tyres will roll over stuff pretty well.

Probably, but I’m getting on well with 29×2.3″ as a trade off for rolling/weight/grip/comfort.

After several happy decades of 26ers I opted for moar diameter, so I’m just not bothered about tweener wheels, I accept this is a niche point of view now though…

1timmy1
    Free Member

Just about to order one of these as my new do it all bike. Stopped riding 29 wheels last year having tried a few, just prefer 27.5. Going to be running 150mm forks on it with a 44 offset not the 37. Thanks Ben for should prompt responses to queries. Great value as well.

@sprocker
    will that void the warranty?

sprocker
    Free Member

Checked with Bird they said it will be fine

benpinnick

150mm is no problems. Why not go full downcountry? 😉 It will be just fine

Big Version

toblerone1

That raw finish is mighty fine!

1timmy1
    Free Member

That looks beautiful 😍

convert

I have similar wants, but then I’m still not sure short-mid travel 29ers with tasty angles are as appealing to the prime MTB target market (early 20s to mid 30something trail riders?).

I’m just an old duffer who wants 29er roll-over in preference to travel, and some ‘modern angles’ now for “occasional gnarr, with a fair bit of basic trundling about” and I doubt I’m representative of the majority of people buying LLS mountain bikes…

This is me too. The Bird bike I want has sady still not been designed.

benpinnick

The Bird bike I want has sady still not available to purchase

Fixed that for you 🙂

convert

Fixed that for you 🙂

Well that’s a teaser!

roverpig

I’m just an old duffer who wants 29er roll-over in preference to travel, and some ‘modern angles’ now for “occasional gnarr, with a fair bit of basic trundling about” and I doubt I’m representative of the majority of people buying LLS mountain bikes…

Maybe not, but it describes what I do on my (LLS) FlareMax pretty perfectly. They may be sold as hardcore gnarr-machines but a 29er with modern geometry and shortish travel is great for “just trundling about”. Especially natural stuff where you might suddenly come across a tricky section. Sounds as though Bird will have something to suit fairly soon as well, which is good news as they sound like a great company to deal with.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Great to see you guys hooking up with a grassroots mtb channel like Jamie’s.

It’s a cracking looking bike, but I thought the “down country” thing was for short travel 29ers?

Anyhow it’s a rubbish term can we please get it in the bin.

joebristol

Thought I’d pop back here with my opinion on the Aether 7 after 3 rides on it.

First one was the Cafell lap at Cwmcarn in biblical strength winds plus rain / hail / maybe a hint of sleet / bright sunshine all in 2 hours.

Second time was in a bit of drizzle but less windy – did Cafell with the Pedalhounds DH then the Twrch lap.

Third one was this weekend with the lockdown so just a local bimble to get an hour or so of fresh air / exercise.

It’s everything I wanted / hoped it would be. I sized down from a ML Bird Aeris 145LT – mainly looking for a shorter reach / shorter chainstays and to be a bit sprightlier uphill. Willing to take a hit on the rockiest bits of downhill for it.

I’m finding it manuals and pops a lot easier than my last bike and I’m already cornering better / more confidently on it as a result of the shorter reach and chainstays. It definitely pedals uphill more efficiently despite being barely any lighter than the 145LT – it has all the same build kit off there so why would it be much (if any) lighter. I haven’t ridden anything yet where I feel at a disadvantage of having less travel – I think uplifts days are where I’ll notice it.

Build kit is 140mm Lyriks / GX 11 speed / Code R’s / 180mm Oneup Dropper / Hope Pro4 with XM481 rims / 45mm Nukeproof stem / 780mm El Guapo bars / Maxxis DHF 2.5 and Dhr2 2.3.

misterdun
    Free Member

What rear shock are you running joebristol?

joebristol

Went for the Rockshox Deluxe Select+ as I was trying to keep the cost down. Seems ok so far – got 2 tokens in it and it’s not bottoming out with 30% ish sag.

There’s always the option of adding a Megneg aircan at a later date which is in the back of my mind. That said it doesn’t seem to rush through the midrange so I’m not sure if it’s needed or not.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘New Bird – Aether 7’ is closed to new replies.