Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • New Bird Aeris 120
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

http://www.bird.bike/product/new-aeris-120/

I know there is a thread in the news section – but cant comment on there!

This looks pretty good – I presume as per other bikes, the 1665 build will be the NX (anyone used?).

scotroutes
    jayx2a
    Free Member

Must look harder! Bu to be fair, I cant comment on the news pages!

sambob
    Free Member

NX kit is ace, no complaints over 3 months of use!

jayx2a
    Free Member

The NX could be the turning point for me! Might bring it within an affordable budget.

Alex

That’s another sorted looking bike. Definitely some ‘evo’ going on from the Aeris in terms of how it’s made. But all the good stuff – simple, easy to maintain, non ridiculous cabling, sorted geo etc still in place. I’m very glad they didn’t decide to make a boost/chubby one. Otherwise that might have made me want to try one rather than just go buy a flare max.

I reckon they’ll sell a few tho – especially at those price points.

BoardinBob

It’s got the boost rear hub??? Or did you mean interchangeable 650b+/29er setup front and rear?

chakaping
    Free Member

Very nice.

I’m very glad they didn’t decide to make a boost/chubby one.

I’m both glad and sad that they didn’t do a 120mm travel 29er.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m both glad and sad that they didn’t do a 120mm travel 29er.

+1
    When I saw the front page I assumed it was a 29er, but disappointed.

jayx2a
    Free Member

It’s nearly same price as Aeris 140, so looking at around 2k for the NX with dropper and £2200ish for the HX or SLX version.

alextemper
    Free Member

Looks fantastic.

So glad they finally did a press release as I don’t need to keep quiet about it any more. Was really interesting looking at the CAD drawings back in Feb and seeing the amount of time and effort put into the design and suspension kinematics to go from concept to what will be a great bike.

I imagine if the public had more of an insight into the work that goes into a new frame they may be more appreciative of the process and end product.

jayx2a
    Free Member

It does look good! Like the Blue, but the orange and grey are both good colours too.

I was thinking about saving more cash for a T130s, but this looks like a really good option.

If I spec one up with same as the T130s (GX/Yari/Dropper etc) it will be about the same price.

Alex

@BB – so it is for some reason I read 142×12. 2.5 max tyre tho so it’s not going to take a proper chubby. There’s probably lots of design compromises to run 27.5+/29 or 27.5 – Cotic have gone down the making two different frame route. And they are properly different – e,g. head tube for the max is chunkier.

Like I said, I’m sure (and I hope) they sell loads. My Aeris is still riding like it was when it arrived 18 months/4000kms ago.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I was looking at the Aeris but didnt want such long travel, then specced up a TR which I was so close to buying, but then having discovered all the single track near me, I really want FS!

I’m trying to be patient and avoid buying the wrong bike just because I want one NOW!!!

alextemper
    Free Member

Buy the TR now and then save for the Aeris 120 frame and have both when it’s available. TR over Winter, Aeris 120 for when it’s less mucky, if you went with wheels using Hope Pro 4 or DTSwiss hubs then you can convert back and forwards between boost and non boost spacing on the rear and simply decide on a boost or non boost 130mm fork.

Or just do two separate builds!

thepodge
    Free Member

Should have gone for a new name

jayx2a
    Free Member

I would love to go for a HT and FS but my budget would not allow!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Disappointed it’s not a 29er.

Still tempted though. Looks great.

alextemper
    Free Member

I was going to replace my old Zero AM hardtail with the v2 for Winter riding but wondering on this instead and whether I need another FS bike.

cokie

Disappointed it’s not a 29er.

Something Ben at Bird said 11 months ago about developing 29ers

Ive experimented with some dark side prototypes and the issue right now is that by the time I inject enough fun into it (slacker, longer travel etc.) I find I’ve erased pretty much all the speed while having the downsides of things like heavier wheels etc, which kind of defeats the point of a 29er

I’ll get there soon enough I am sure, but the first incarnation will be alu most likely.

Source

jayx2a
    Free Member

I wonder how long delivery times will be. Guess it’s a case of getting pre order in pretty quick on the 1st!

chakaping
    Free Member

Give them a bell? Or just hang on as Ben is bound to be along shortly.

When he gets here he can give us an update on that 29er as well.

😉

coomber
    Free Member

Well that looks very nice indeed.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That does indeed, look lovely..

When is it due?

benpinnick

Delivery dates are TBC, will be December most likely – thats why no pre-orders until Sept 1, as we’ll know exact timings by then.

If you want to get in early on pre-orders then I would suggest joining the Waitlist (on our site) as that will get you early access.

EDIT: As for 29ers there’s likely to be movement on that sometime in 2017, but I can tell you the first model out the gate wont be a 120 FS (or a 115/125 etc.).

blitz

I’d be surprised if this doesn’t end up being my next bike. Looks perfect. Currently riding a 26er 120/100 short travel FS and was looking to go for something with a bit more travel but knew 140/150 would be overkill. Loved the look of the original Aeris and a huge fan of the customisation and (reported) customer service. However because of the travel issue I was leaning more towards a Whyte T130 S Yari. This looks like it will top that though. I expect an equivalent build in this to be cheaper, possibly lighter (just a guess but the Whyte is like 14.2kg or something?) and becuase of the customisation, shouldn’t need much, if any, tweaking. Love that blue too.

superstu
    Free Member

As an aeris owner this looks cool, great brand doing great things. Good luck Ben and Co.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The only interest I see in the 29er side of things is where Santa Cruz have gone with the Hightower (with the 650b+ bonus also).

Anyway, liking the 120. Fast, agile, short/mid travel is where it’s at now for majority of trail use.

chakaping
    Free Member

As for 29ers there’s likely to be movement on that sometime in 2017, but I can tell you the first model out the gate wont be a 120 FS (or a 115/125 etc.).

Cool, look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

No hurry, I just bought a new 29er trail HT anyway.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive experimented with some dark side prototypes and the issue right now is that by the time I inject enough fun into it (slacker, longer travel etc.) I find I’ve erased pretty much all the speed while having the downsides of things like heavier wheels etc, which kind of defeats the point of a 29er
    I’ll get there soon enough I am sure, but the first incarnation will be alu most likely.

At 6ft and (cough) carrying some ballast, bigger wheels just work for me, the added weight isn’t noticeable, but the ‘not having to concentrate on what the front wheel’s doing’ is.

Horses for courses. I’ve not tried a bird yet, I probably should!

alextemper
    Free Member

Had a good look at this in the flesh today and have to say it looks really, really good. The attention to detail, choice of tubing, the one piece machines stays, all contribute to an overall look that is really easy on the eyes. It looks long but not in a disproportionate way that some bikes are.

I had a sit on the M/L size and had a quick pedal about to see how it sizes upi and initial felt. Sizing is spot on for me at 5’9″ and although the reach has increased over the longer travel Aeris by 10mm, the steeper seat angle of the 120 brings the riding position back to feel effectively the same. The shorter chainstay of the 120 keeps the wheelbase pretty much the same as well.

Although it was only a quick pedal you can notice that steeper seat angle and this bike is going to be very efficient and should climb very well. There’s a metric deluxe shock fitted which offers a good pedal platform when you want the support but also feels really supple ironing out small bumps. The bike felt very responsive putting down any power and was then surprised to see it had a Maxxis DD Shorty and Minion tyre combination which are hardly light weight tyres.

Lastly the colours all look great. The blue is very similar to the SC 5010 v2 blue for those familiar with it. The candy orange I’ve already seen before on a hardtail and is standout and the grey is currently my favourite and will be a hit with those that like to hang different colour components on their bikes,

Initial impressions are that the guys have produced a great bike here, enough for me to be pre ordering and I can’t wait to get myself booked in on a demo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

looks great; doubt it’s enough travel for Swinley though

andytheadequate
    Free Member

It looks a lot prettier than the older version. I’m quite tempted by it as I like the idea of the bigger reach compared to a lot of bikes (including my Canyon Spectral).

What’s the likelihood of a demo day tour? Hampshire is a bit far to go to try one out and don’t fancy buying one without trying it first. Are they likely to bring out a longer travel one as well, or is this a replacement of the 150mm one?

benpinnick

@andytheadequate we’ll be opening some sort of demo facility near Hamsterley very soon, and frequently touring the Scottish/Lakeland/northern hotspots on a sort of continuous demo tour.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Guess I will be on a M/L or Large – but at 5ft 11 I’m usually between sizes so probably M/L!

What kind of grey is it? Dark or light?

Edit – found the grey, just not the orange!

benpinnick

Check out the zero am for the orange. It’s the same paint just with Aeris 12 graphics.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s good to hear. I’m assuming it’ll be announced in the Facebook page when the dates/locations are set?

jayx2a
    Free Member

Pre orders start tomorrow!

flaps
    Free Member

Looks good!
    I’m hoping to get a FS bike within the next 12 months but always thought i’d go for another with 140 travel on the fork like my current HT. What’s the difference between the 140 and 120 in regard to the purpose? What can one do that the other can’t? What type of venues and rides would be suitable for either? I think i’m looking for the Holy Grail, the ‘do it all’ bike.

remoterob
    Free Member

The 120 is designed for a 130mm fork, so a 140mm fork would be fine – there’s more variation in the axle to the crown measurement between forks/headset stack than the difference in travel.

Also IMHO the difference in travel between 120 and 140mm is negiable in terms of what a bike can do, the quality and usability of the suspension is more of an influencing factor than the outright travel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘New Bird Aeris 120’ is closed to new replies.