Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New bike! YT Jeffsy AL2 medium
  • Mintyjim

It didn’t take much deliberation, I’ll be honest, and I’m very happy I pushed the button.

I changed a couple of things because I already had them:

Magura MT5 brakes;
    Fabric saddle;
    Hillbilly front tyre;
    Fox rear shock;
    Slaughter rear;
    Single works component 32T oval T/T ring;
    Vorsprung mod plus 150mm airshaft in the Pikes;
    Upside down reverb lever on the left.

Had its inaugural ride on the weekend, Nant yr Arian including a couple of laps of various descents and the Reaper DH track.

It was great fun, popping off everything, grip was fantastic and happily climbed with ample grip.

Made all the better by the stunning weather and glorious views.

It smidges past my old 1997 Kona Manomano (with tioga box stem, remember those?!) as my most instantly comfortable and natural fit bike.

love the 150mm Reverb, although if my legs were any shorter than 31″ I’d be in trouble. Weighs a ton compared to the Giant, wish i had the spondolies to have afforded carbon but who was to know if I’d like it!

Erm, prefer the feel of Shimano and love the amazing Maguras.

Sorry about the terrible perspective photos, I can’t take pictures for toffee.

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb14730890/p5pb14730890.jpg%5B/img%5D

gnusmas

Nice bike, and great place for a maiden voyage. I am toying with one, can i ask how tall you are and what size it is please?

dumbbot
    Free Member

call that a lawn?? look at the daisies, the gardener should be shot immediately!

Nice bike tho

joebristol

That’s a pretty aggressive looking bike – like it! Lot of changes you made right at the start – are the MT5’s a really strong / good brake? The guide R’s that came on it should have been pretty good.

Looks better as a 1x than the standard 2x for sure.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Picked up a new YT at the weekend? Seller wasn’t based in Forest of Dean by any chance? 😆

Mintyjim

It’s a medium and I’m 5’8″ and there’s no way I could fit a large! My other bike is a Stanton Sherpa in 17″ and I noticed that the seat height of the Jeffsy was a bit higher but with me sat on it and sag, of course, it drops to a more manageable pedalling level.

My daughter loves daisies so I mow around them, it takes ages.

MT5’s are amazing and extremely subtle and controllable, loads of power! The guide R’s went on the Sherpa to replace the ageing Deores, everything gets recycled!
    I actually like the Onza’s that came with it but love the hillbilly on the front. Seriously the grip on this bike was prodigal and I had PR’s on Strava everywhere at Nant yr Arian.

loads better in 1x I agree and more than adequate gearing for my legs.

Haha, no I bought direct from YT. Ever since Woolies went into administration I stopped nicking stuff (joke!)

chiefgrooveguru

I like the rear rack / workmate in the first photo – utility Jeffsy! 😉

gnusmas

Is the wheel dog sticker in the third pic an optional extra?

Thanks for the info ??

joebristol

Looks very much like the work mate things that Aldi were selling for £10 recently…

tillydog
    Free Member

Great looking bike and helpful info, thanks.

…if my legs were any shorter than 31″ I’d be in trouble…
    It’s a medium and I’m 5’8″

It looks like the reverb is as low as it will go in the frame in the photos – is that where you need it to get the right saddle height?

Is that 31″ your “trouser” leg measurement (crotch -> ankle) or your “cycling” leg measurement (crotch -> floor)?

I would normally expect to ride a medium, and was hoping to try one at Sherwood Pines this weekend, but based on your measurements, it looks like it will be too tall for me (at 5’6 and am between the small and the medium on most size guides, including YT’s).

kimbers

how heavy is a ton?

how much lighter is the carbon?

joebristol

YT list the 27.5 Jeffsy (not sure if this is 27.5 or 29) al 2 as 30.9lbs.

legend
    Free Member

I noticed that the seat height of the Jeffsy was a bit higher but with me sat on it and sag, of course, it drops to a more manageable pedalling level.

Unless your Reverb is sagging, that makes no sense 🙂

onewheelgood

I would normally expect to ride a medium, and was hoping to try one at Sherwood Pines this weekend, but based on your measurements, it looks like it will be too tall for me (at 5’6 and am between the small and the medium on most size guides, including YT’s).

I have a medium CF Pro with 150mm Reverb. I reckon the bike is the perfect size for me, although my hardtail and rigid SS are both small. I’m 5’7″ with a 30″ inside leg and my reverb is 2mm up from being as low as it can go. So by my reckoning if the OP really has a 31″ IL his saddle is too low!

russyh
    Free Member

I have just taken delivery of a medium cf1 I am 5’9 with a 29/30″ inside leg I have had to raise the post about 10mm to get the perfect pedalling position. It’s a fantastic bike so far apart from the shocking Onza tyres that came with it! They are bloody lethal on wet roots! Trying to decide what tyres to switch to next. Mine weighed in at 29lbs out of the box, swapped cranks out to SiXC and set up tubeless and I am now a smudge under 29lbs. Size wise I wouldn’t want it any shorter but in standard set up I like the reach it seems to work for me and proves my thoughts that super long bikes don’t really work for me

core

Have been looking at these over the weekend, almost planned to go to Sherwood Pines Friday to demo one until they all got nicked.

On YT’s website the Jeffsy27 Alu2 is listed as 30.5lb IIRC. Not silly heavy, could save a bit by going 1x and some choice upgrades over time. No info. on whether the rear hub uses an XD driver to take a 10spd?

How does it pedal for a 150mm bike? Is it lively?

Mintyjim

@ tillydog / onewheelgood / russyh – Sorry, the last pair of trousers I bought were advertised as 31″ but I don’t actually know what my real inside leg is. Extrapolating from these posts I must around 28/29″ – how embarrassing!

@ kimbers – I don’t know the exact weight, it’s just noticeably heavier than my Reign with a similar build. It does, however, pedal very easily so it’s more an observation than a factor on enjoyment.

@legend – you’re right, what I actually meant was foot/tap downs are more equal with the suspension sag.

Mine’s the 29er so 140mm travel and it’s certainly lively in my opinion. I was actively looking for stuff to pop off instead of plough through compared with the Reign.

Not having had 11 speed before I think it’s got an XD driver cos it’s a bit ‘funny’ to look at compared with the traditional freehub i’m used to.

Like Russyh I found the reach bang on with the 50mm stem and I too never really gelled with the whole bigger reach thing, in fact I really didn’t like my mk1 Bird Aeris! However this bike just feels right for me.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The exact same bike I’m saving up for, what are it’s looks like in the flesh? Photos never get across the looks of a bike.

mark90
    Free Member

I too never really gelled with the whole bigger reach thing, in fact I really didn’t like my mk1 Bird Aeris! However this bike just feels right for me.

That’s interesting, I love my Aeris and recently demo’d the Jeffsy 29er. I didn’t get on with it (not intending to bring negativity to your new bike thread 🙂 ). They are very different bikes and it just goes to show that the bike not only needs to fit the rider but also suit their riding style and preference. When you find what works for you…. happy days 🙂

And with a 29er you get to use the Hillbilly grid 😉

Mintyjim

I think it looks great in the flesh, I like the more restrained colours and the quality/finish is great when you consider the dosh involved.

Mark90 – weird isn’t it. I loved the reign, it’s just too much bike, and that had a 444mm reach with a 35mm stem so i guess more in common with the Aeris.

Yes to the 29er Hillbilly grid! I live in West Wales so pretty damp most of the time but even on the very dusty condition last weekend it gripped amazing well on loose corners etc.

nicnag
    Free Member

Also considering a Jeffsy right now, but am wavering between this and the Escarpe 29 VRX. Probably prefer the colour and the specs of the Vitus, but cant find any recent reviews, whereas the jeffsy seems to be loved by all.

But nice bike anyway.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New bike! YT Jeffsy AL2 medium’ is closed to new replies.