Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 344 total)
  • New Bike weekend, the time to Slay the trails.
  • joebristol

Are you basically confirming you did buy a bike that is a little too small for you 🫣? Just ribbing you a little…

I run a 50mm stem on both my bikes – I prefer how they feel with that length of stem vs shorter ones. I have run a 32mm and 40mm stems on previous bikes and didn’t love it.

Your son might think it’s less cool to be riding the same bike as his dad – and that 141 has slightly crap forks. You bought the Slayer as you wanted more travel than the previous bike (fuel ex) – surely if getting a privateer you’d be better with the 161 to replace the slayer?

Tracey

You should be able to pick up a half decent stem in that size from Pinkbike for £30-40 with a bit of haggling. That way if its not right then you can move it on at very little cost.

weeksy

Are you basically confirming you did buy a bike that is a little too small for you

No, yes, maybe…. but we knew that all along and the plan was always to jump on a 50mm stem as it’s fairly common on them to feel the stem is a little short. I just never got around to it until now. But as i’ve just edited, i’ve ordered a 50mm in a 35dia from Merlin, so hopefully i’ll get that by Sat morning and run that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikerevivesheffield

Let’s cut to the chase, none of the stem stuff is true is all because you have privateer envy and want a new bike 😝

joebristol

50mm stem should be fine I’m sure 👌

ayjaydoubleyou

Looks great, but you are not allowed a spare bike for most enduro races.

lets be honest, no race or category that weeksy snr* is going to be racing is going to know/check/care about enforcing this rule

*or most people reading this thread

Yak

lets be honest, no race or category that weeksy snr* is going to be racing is going to know/check/care about enforcing this rule

Well yeah. But I thought it was spare for the lad… who is at the business end of things. But is it ever enforced in the UK? Dunno.

mashr

At most races it’s probably just not practical to head right back to the start (slowly as the bikes gubbed), change bikes, then back out again

Also agree with the “don’t copy the boy” sentiment above. Plus, he’s been given a bike to use by the sponsor, no need to go out and buy another one just in case. I’d imagine even Katy would give you a funny look for that

weeksy

It was a multi-function idea…. but yeah didn’t even think about the fact that Frame and Forks must remain the same. Even though this season he’s only racing Southerns and Haibike rather than PMBA and Nationals, i still wouldn’t break the rules in that context. So a very good point made.
    Even if it’s not enforced, i’d still not like to do it.
    But when i was thinking of ‘spare’ it wasn’t necessarily on that day of racing, but you know, the day before or days leading up to it, something went wrong etc..

But i’ve pretty much moved on from the idea of the 141 anyway.

robbo1234biking

Well yeah. But I thought it was spare for the lad… who is at the business end of things. But is it ever enforced in the UK? Dunno.

At one of my sons CX races (Under 9s) a kid had a puncture and there parents swapped the bike and he got DQed. Seemed pretty pointless really – I think he was last anyway!

weeksy

Yeah the rules are generally enforced in races as well, they’re the rules. It came up last Sunday when a youngster (18ish) crashed and the public were going to pick up his bike for him to get back on, but if they touch his bike, then he’s a DQ.. It’s harsh, but the rules are there and will be enforced.

mark88

Buying the same bike to have a spare to match one provided by a sponsor is baffling.

EWS put stickers on frame, forks, wheels to stop swapping parts. I’m not aware of anyone else doing that.

It’s different for pros, but as someone who pays for their own race entries I would 100% use a spare bike / part regardless of the rules if it meant I could continue riding. I wouldn’t cheat, but I would happily ignore stupid rules.

weeksy

Buying the same bike to have a spare to match one provided by a sponsor is baffling.

Well, i also think it’d be a cool bike to ride myself too, i’ve ridden his a couple of times and even with it being way too soft for me i still think i’d really like it… But i’ve pretty much shelved the idea at the moment anyway. I do love the Slayer and it flatters me lots (not that you’d know it)

mashr

FWIW, if you do come back round to a Privateer, the way to do it would be through the team to see if there’s a bro deal available (assuming you’d have mentioned that already if you’d looked into it)

Edit: or hold off until the end of the season and buy Jnr’s off them

weeksy

FWIW, if you do come back round to a Privateer, the way to do it would be through the team to see if there’s a bro deal available (assuming you’d have mentioned that already if you’d looked into it)

Edit: or hold off until the end of the season and buy Jnr’s off them

It’s been thought about yes and buying his current one at the end of term has also been considered yes. The reason part of this thought came about was last weekend with the Privateer guys and “we’ve got to get you on one of these” came up… I then started thinking “mmmm not a bad idea”
    But i wouldn’t be cheeky and ask for assistance personally as i don’t know them that well. A few circumstances this year may change that and i may get a bit cheekier… but at the moment… No.

mashr

But i wouldn’t be cheeky and ask for assistance personally as i don’t know them that well.

you do realise that you’re doing marketing work for them, frequently, for free, on at least 2 threads on this forum plus the YouTube/Insta stuff? There’s nothing cheeky about it, if a bro deal doesn’t work for them they’ll let you know. If anything I’d go as far as to say it’s pretty normal. Katy could also enquire you’re your behalf if easier. (I have a long history of such things through my other half in her old career)

Of course, this is only if you actually want one

weeksy

you do realise that you’re doing marketing work for them, frequently, for free, on at least 2 threads on this forum plus the YouTube/Insta stuff?

Of course, but that’s what you sort of sign up for when all this happens, you (he) has to give a certain amount back to ‘earn’ the bike… As we all know, that’s how the world keeps on turning.

I think the ‘want’ thing is all well and good, but the reality is that we’ve got enough bikes in the garage currently so really it’d have to be 1 in 1 out… I’m not done with the Slayer yet, me and it have plenty more adventures to take on together. Something like the 141 will make more sense in a year or two when the boy goes off racing every weekend without me and i’m at home riding more locally with mates… Then it’ll be more of an option.

For now… the skills enabler still rules 😀

Stick with the Slayer. You know it’s the far superior steed. 😉

mashr

Of course, but that’s what you sort of sign up for when all this happens, you (he) has to give a certain amount back to ‘earn’ the bike… As we all know, that’s how the world keeps on turning.

You aren’t the one that’s sponsored though. In no way are they expecting his Dad to be hawking their kit for them, thats just a nice bonus for them. Anyway, wait for the 171, get one of them, sell it to me 😉

weeksy

LOL we’re waiting for the 201 😀

zerocool

Maybe go for a 161 as you prefer the longer travel Slayer.

fazzini

Nope, i’m thinking of both bikes

Erm… I’m calling the NBD alert I posted on your other thread 😂😂😂

Either way…nice bikes 😁

@Weeksy, just pulled the trigger on 38’s for mine. Was toying with holding fore for the ’23 model. Decided against it, just going to sink some money into this.

squealer
    Free Member

but also it’d be cool for both me and the lad to race on the same bike

My son would rather give up racing than me be on the same bike as him. Did you actually ask your son what he thought????

weeksy

My son would rather give up racing than me be on the same bike as him. Did you actually ask your son what he thought????

Yes. It would appear some kids are not the same as others. But anyway, it’s doesn’t matter vasci didn’t buy it.

Tracey

It wouldn’t make any difference at our house. It’s usually first up best dressed and I usually get the hand me downs from the previous years race bike.
    We did at one point have the same colour frame, not by choice, as I wrote mine off in the Alps and it was replaced with a crash replacement new frame at a discount and I couldn’t chose the colour.

weeksy

@relapsed_mandalorian

I’m pretty happy with the forks on the Slayer… Looking at my race times, even compared to other 50+s i’m still a tonne off the pace and new forks isn’t going to fix that for me. I’m not sure in truth if anything can fix it, if it can, it’s more coaching/time, but i don’t truthfully know if that gap can be fixed by coaching lol.
    It may be time to sit and chat with Katy about a potential plan and what we can do about it.

I went 38’s for two reasons, I’ve got some horrifc damage on one stantion and my riding has progressed where I’m noticing the flex, especially in corners.

As for coaching, im a massive advocate I have on average 2/3 1-2-1 days a year with a local coach. My riding has improved considerably as a result, I am realistic about my ceiling though, there’ll be no backflips or EWS top 100 finishes from me! 🤣🤣🤣

weeksy

Yeah i think in simple terms i’ve not had/done ‘enough’ over the years and even though i’m a better rider than a few years ago, i’m still fairly garbage.
    But i’ll keep plugging away and getting on with it.

joebristol

@weeksy – I reckon with some work on cornering you could make up a huge amount of time. Katy and / or Sam could probably get that going loads better just in one 121 session

weeksy

Yeah i’m not aruging that matey… I’ve pinged Katy a mail to see if we can arrange something over Easter Holidays..

bikerevivesheffield

@weeksy check your insta messages, something that might tickle your fancy in there

weeksy

I’d be very surprised if there was buddy, but I’ll sure go looky. Beware I’m rubbish at insta 🤣

Go it. Thank you. But I’m happy.

Threw the 50mm stem on the bike the other day, but not tested in anger yet. Sat likely for testing. Unless I race it on Sunday and plough it into an inglorious last place

bikerevivesheffield

I’ll let him know that you will be up by Friday to buy it

weeksy

I was tempted to race at FoD last Sunday but i decided to leave the bike at home and i think it was the right decision. I’m having a bit of a ‘race crisis’ in terms of where/how i’m finishing and the struggles to get anywhere near what i see as ‘respectable’ and in some way i just need to come to terms with the fact, i’m not particularly good 😀

The Slayer is ready for BPW Enduro race tomorrow with the stages being
    Wibbly Wobbly (red)
    Hot Stepper (Red)
    Pandoras Rocks (Red)
    and the long one which is Melted Welly, Groot, Surfin Bird, BlueBelle, Norkle. Full top to bottom, mix of blue/red.

I know most of the stages reasonably well… but that doesn’t mean i’m expecting miracles, it just means i know them 🙂

My One-up dropper still gets a little sluggish on the way up at times, which slightly irritates, it seems if i throw a little Juicy Lubes at it, it gets better, but I don’t have to do that nearly as much on my lads bike as i do on mine… so a little bit weird. It’ll likely get stripped down and serviced soon.

I’ve set the suspension flip-chip to full slack mode for tomorrow… see if that gets me down things with a modicum of safety.

Sadly i’ve still not found an ‘enduro’ style FF helmet that fits me, despite having now tried a TLD Stage, Bell Super3R, Endura MT500 etc etc… I think it’s only the IXS i’ve not bought and sent back. So i’ve got a minor debate as to whether i go for full DH FF helmet tomorrow or a standard XC type helmet.

Yak

Probably wear what you normally wear at BPW or it will feel odd/different.

fazzini

I think it’s only the IXS

MET Parachute MCR?? Good luck on Wednesday 👍

frogstomp

My One-up dropper still gets a little sluggish on the way up at times

Have you checked the air pressure? Both of mine seems to decline over time despite being sealed cartridges.

julians
    Free Member

My One-up dropper still gets a little sluggish on the way up at times, which slightly irritates, it seems if i throw a little Juicy Lubes at it, it gets better, but I don’t have to do that nearly as much on my lads bike as i do on mine… so a little bit weird. It’ll likely get stripped down and serviced soon.

seat post clamp too tight maybe?

weeksy

Don’t think so … But i could try loosening it a bit yeah.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.