Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike (warning – more long travel content)
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

After a very nice Reign this morning I thought I’d stick my latest effort in. A 2006 coilair built with the kind assistance of Amedias (unless he has a new name now) from this very forum.

Built with the bits from my old Roast and the forks wound out to 150mm it has pedalled about really nicely on it’s few tarmac based bedding-in/what-bolt didn’t-I-tighten-properly rides. Hopefully later this wekk I’ll take it out to Stoke Woods and terrify a few dog walkers ready for a blast at Haldon later in the week.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i like – looks proper beefy!

will
    Free Member

That does look nice! is the chain not a tad short?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

38 pounds-ish. It is beefy but if you’re prepared to sit and spin seems to climb in a very unfussy manner.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

No that’s almost the largest sprocket so is is about right. The chain length shortens under compression so when I sit on it the stretch does decrease a bit.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Very nice.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Nice one Ash, I look forward to seeing it up @ Haldon sometime.

Me & my mates are still going up there this Sunday if you are about 😀

acjim
    Free Member

Nice ride, is that a Ti spring on the 5th element? (If that’s what the shock is)

mboy
    Free Member

squattingmouse – Member

No that’s almost the largest sprocket so is is about right. The chain length shortens under compression so when I sit on it the stretch does decrease a bit.

Does it? 😕

Every full sus bike I’ve ever owned the chain length has increased to some degree (lots on a Bullit, next to nothing on my Current Maverick or my old 2003 Enduro) under compression, not shortened! You might want to add a link or 2 back into that chain before something nasty happens IMO!

acjim
    Free Member

re: Chain length, won’t the chain device make it look shorter than it actually is?

nickc

150mm fork on a QR. What’s that like then? Must admit I’ve always been put off them, for no good reason I’ll admit.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

like it, looks very capable. But surely it’s a coilER with a coil shock on 😉

scraprider
    Free Member

hey nice one m8.

MrNutt
    Free Member

very nice, but I’d stick something with a 20mm bolt through on there! (psst, fancy some very tidy 150mm z.1s?)

brakes
    Free Member

change the cranks, wheels and frame and you might have a nice bike there

might 😈

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Right then – yes the chain guide/tensioner is making it look worse as I added the roller after the chain etc was sorted.

The QR fork was originally used at 130mm and is used as I have a perfectly good hope XC/EX721 wheel on the front. I’ve no idea bout comparisons to bolt through as the only bolt through fork I’ve ever owned was a boxxer. It’s more a case of I can’t justify the cost of a new fork and front wheel. PLus it’s a lot easier to get in and out of the car this way.

It was a coilair but at some stage someone stuck a 5th element on it (according to the bloke I got it from it was done by the shop as demo bike to prove you tame something as notoriously bouncy as a kona for hard pedalling). Besides it’s still true – coil rear and air front. I do’;t think it’s a ti spring just the grey coating progressive use on their springs.

My only planned mod for the near future (after next paycheck) is a new bar to bring the front end down a bit. 2 inch rise azonics are a bit unnecessary on this thing!

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh I’ve got some wheels that would go with them too ;D

squattingmouse
    Free Member

MrNutt – stop trying to tempt me! (she who must be obeyed is not looking amused at this…..)

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Chain growth – I may be wrong but I do remember that whatever it does we did take it into account when sorting the chain length.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New bike (warning – more long travel content)’ is closed to new replies.