Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New bike-wagon – Big, fast cheap q-car
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

After driving an MX5 for the last few years, practicality came knocking.

I was looking for something big enough to put bikes inside, nice to drive/fast, not too bad on fuel and something I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on so wouldn’t be too precious about it – with parking in city centres and putting muddy bikes in.

Enter the £900 Saab 9-5 Turbo:

So far, I’m enjoying it. Very relaxing to sit in, good stereo and it certainly shifts! It’s a bit old fashioned inside, but I quite like it. Seems like it won’t have too many fancy electronics to go wrong.

oldtennisshoes

Nice old luxobarge – perfect!

finishthat
    Free Member

put mine on the classifieds today —>
    great cars , it is my second , thats 15 years driving 9-5 estates.

winston
    Free Member

Seems like it won’t have too many fancy electronics to go wrong

That made me proper lol.

That car is basically a clone of the most unreliable car I ever had.

If I’m not mistaken that’s not the aero but the vector sport ? 2.3lpt? I think my number plate was even the same except 05!

Good luck.

finishthat
    Free Member

Intrigued as they are not known for electrical problems , unlike the 93 .

winston
    Free Member

No to be fair (and I was a Saab fanboi) firstly I paid A LOT more than the OP for mine as it was almost new so my expectations were obvs higher and second, many of the problems were mechanical.

But after corroded abs collars at 2 years old not covered by warranty, mystery oil leaks, ECU problems and finally being asked for £750 plus vat to replace a failed headlamp unit at 4 yes old it was time to say good bye.

teethgrinder

Nice! Loving my V70 D5… Think a straight through Stainless exhaust might hand to be on the cards.

big_scot_nanny

I hope its a good one, if its still running at this point I assume its been through all the bad stuff!

My 9-5 Aero, bought 12 yrs ago, was **** dreadful.

Please, I pray to the Norse gods, let this car maintain YGH’s brewing antics by keeping the car on the road 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s the Aero, high pressure turbo. Supposedly “mapped” and does have a stainless exhaust…
    No idea of the provenance of that, but it really shifts if you want it to.

Needs the brakes done and a service, but also came with a years MOT.

Currently full of mountain bike, and am off to pick up some kegs from my brewery!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Saw the one in the classifieds earlier, good price!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nice cars, mate had one. Seems to fit all your point of criteria apart from first. My mates was not very economical at all but I guess it depends on your interpretation of ‘not too bad on fuel’. But ultimately fuel economy is a meaningless measure without considering your annual mileage.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It does about 40mpg on motorway, 30mpg in normal, mixed driving.

I live in a city, work from home and have an ebike for getting about town… So I don’t drive very often!

bombjack
    Free Member

I also went from an MX-5 to a big Saab, although I plumped for a 9-3 2l petrol turbo.
    Awesome bit of kit, fast, able to swallow bikes whole, not too bad on gas.
    Only bad job I’ve needed on mine in 5 years ownership was a stability control sensor which resulted in an MOT failure due to the warning light staying on.
    I’d have another (or probably a 9-5 for the extra space) in a heart beat.
    With some retro 900 tri spoke wheels.

allfankledup

It does about 40mpg on motorway, 30mpg in normal, mixed driving.

The petrol fuelled swedish estates I owned did low twenties – -yours is broken…

I’d be quite happy with a 9-5/9000 personally – I do keep looking at volvo 240s though…

johnw1984
    Free Member

I can only dream of 30mpg in my Forester 🙂

Still, makes a great bike wagon with the tow bar mounted carrier!

finishthat
    Free Member

18 mpg in stop start traffic (mostly stop…) , 38mpg on long runs for me.

CountZero

I do keep looking at Volvo 850 T5s though…
    FTFY…
    😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New bike-wagon – Big, fast cheap q-car’ is closed to new replies.