Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • new bike vs old
  • julians
    Free Member

Trying to decide whether to replace my trusty 2005 specialized enduro with something that fits into a similar category (ie All mountain), but not sure if the newer bikes in that category are actually that much better.

I’m thinking things like transition covert, nukeproof mega, ibis mojo HD, santa cruz Nomad. Are these likely to be a step change better than my old enduro or would I be looking at just subtle improvements. Has frame and rear suspension technology improved that much over the last 5-6 years?

I tried a friends 2010 enduro, and it was slightly better by virtue of the fact that it was a little lighter, but not really a huge difference in how it rode.

I really like my old enduro and am loath to replace it unless what I replace it with is like a night and day difference.

jimjam
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll notice a huge night and day difference between your enduro and any of the others.

If you’re considering things like the mojo hd and nomad then I’m guessing budget isn’t maybe a huge concern? For me it’d be an enduro carbon without hesitation, frame only custom build if possible. Lighter stiffer and slacker than what you have but with a proper seat tube.

julians
    Free Member

I could afford something like a nomad or mojo HD, but to be honest I’d rather not spend that much, unless it really was a huge huge difference in ride.

It’d be really disappointing to spend 3-4k and find the bike is not significantly better than your 6 year old bike that cost you £1700 when it was new 6 years ago.

rustler
    Free Member

I went from an 04 SWorks Enduro to a Ventana El-Ciclon. It was a big improvement. New bike better in every area. The 05 on Enduro was different class of bike though, & I reckon the difference would just be weight. Keep the Enduro, give the frame a good service & get a custom tune on the shock. And a new fork because forks have come a long way since 05′.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Last year I rode a rigid On-one all over the shop and had whale of a time. This year my 2004 enduro has come out of hibernation and that is a proper hoot, an “old” design with up to date components nailed to it. I tend to think that unless you are on the raged edge like a pro all the time or all you do all day every day is ride then I don’t think you will notice that much. Sure you will notice but will it be worth the extra dollar.?

Trouble is though a new bike does look and feel great.

julians
    Free Member

The enduro is in fine fettle, but a little battered looking.

I’ve already got new forks, 2011 fox 36 Rc2, they made quite a difference.

Frame and bearings and rest of kit is in good shape, theres not much left of the original build, I’ve replaced the wheels, brakes, handlebars, drivetrain (several times), the shock was replaced with a fox dhx air under warranty in the first year.

Doesnt sound like there would be alot gained by changing, which has been my gut feel for a while, but you read the mags and reviews and then you start thinking well my bike is pretty old now, so maybe things have moved on a lot.

jimjam
    Free Member

julians

Doesnt sound like there would be alot gained by changing, which has been my gut feel for a while, but you read the mags and reviews and then you start thinking well my bike is pretty old now, so maybe things have moved on a lot.

As has been mentioned there has been a fair improvement in damping in that time, and comparing 05 enduro to 11 enduro there has been some noticeable changes in geometry. You will be getting improvements, particularly if you enjoy descending, or feel that your current bike could be lighter, it just depends how much you actually value those things.

I think the fact that the enduro was such a progressive bike in it’s day means it hasn’t needed to undergo radical changes. Other brands have played catch up to an extent.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Perhaps just send the shock off for a custom tune and buy a good long biking holiday with what you’ve ‘saved’ 😀

catnash
    Free Member

Have had an 04 enduro and a 06 enduro, I have to admit that 06 enduro was a blast, just the right geometry for fast DH. If you want a bike that is faster and even more fun get the 11 Stumpjumper evo. Or get it stripped painted and save some money?

chakaping
    Free Member

As mentioned above, weight would probably be the main difference. I’d upgrade if I was in your position and had the means.

New alloy Enduros are pretty light. Would like to try one out myself.

julians
    Free Member

After a lot of deliberation, I’ve bought a Mojo HD and some new fox 36 forks.

Going to reuse the wheels (hope pro2’s on Dt5.1 rims) and brakes (hayes stroker trails) and a few other smaller bits off the enduro.

Hopefully I’ll notice a considerable improvement in all areas against the old enduro, but time will tell.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, lucky you, I was about to sugest keeping the old enduro as

and comparing 05 enduro to 11 enduro there has been some noticeable changes in geometry. You will be getting improvements, particularly if you enjoy descending,

isn’t strictly true, I seme to remember Dirt reviewing the new one as being almost as good as the old one (that you have/had) and comparing stuff like the new Orange Alpine to the ’05 enduro etc and poseing the question why it’s taken 7 years for manufacturers to catch up/go backwards to what was a very simple equation (long+slack+low+good dampers = great bike).

Personaly I’d never considder a MOJO as I’m a tight arsed northerner, but now have some serious bike envy 🙁

julians
    Free Member

I reckon the 05-06 enduro was years ahead of its time. I’ve not ridden that many bikes to be fair, so maybe I’m not a good judge, but its just so much fun to ride.

I think I mentioned it earlier on in this thread, a mate has the new enduro, and its very very good, but only slightly better than the old (05-06) enduro.

I’m also a tight arsed northerner, and it pained me to pay more for the mojo hd frame than I paid for the entire enduro back in 2006, but hopefully it will be a bike that will last me a long time.

soulrider
    Free Member

as has been said…
    New shock and forks (poss some new wheels too)
    will give it a new lease of life
    my pal has one and everytime he gets it out he loves it

t-p26
    Free Member

I have an 04 Gemini, it works fine, does all I ask of it. Nothing is wrong with it but the idea of a new bike appeals and I think about “all mountain full suspension”. Then I wonder what they will do that the Gemini cant.
    NO real need for new bike here yet…

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I am in a similar position. I have an 05 Giant VT2 that I love riding and does all I ask of it, including AM in the Alps. Reading this thread is interesting. I was thinking of replacing it, but instead I have put on 140 Revs and have sourced new wheels, an RP23 for the back, bigger rotors (the Hayes 9s work ok for me), XT drivetrain etc. and can’t wait to fit it all when I get out to the Alps next week. The Revs were good, so let’s see what all the other stuff does for it!

ATB, Dom.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘new bike vs old’ is closed to new replies.