New Bike : Trek Slash 8 v Nukeproof mega 29 Comp v Vitus Sommet 29

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Bike : Trek Slash 8 v Nukeproof mega 29 Comp v Vitus Sommet 29
  • stanfree

Possibly time to change up to a 29 er from my Trek remedy 8 . The remedy is a great bike and I feel confident of trails that I previously wouldnt have entertained. Having used my sons commencal meta AM 29 I feel big wheels are the next option for me.
    So the options are as follows Trek Slash 8 , Nukeproof Mega or Vitus. As I see it the Trek will be quality like my remedy , the Nukeproof seems a great bike but the one I can afford is fairly dull looking and the Vitus has a phenomenal spec. I normally ride the Tweed valley and usually Inners or the Golfie. Hopeing to put down about £900 and use interest free to pay for the rest . Any other options.?

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Pretty much all of the bikes you have mentioned are on my potential “next” list (including the Commencal).

Triton are doing the 2020 Slash 8 frame only for £1399 at the moment and I was leaning towards that. In reality though, I’ll probably end up on something with shorter travel. Another one I was looking at was the Ibis Ripmo AF.

My missus has two Treks (Pro Caliber and Top Fuel), I think they are really good quality frames and she loves the ride and fit of them.

If it was my money, I’d probably go for the Slash frame and custom build.

Had few Remedys in the past never got on with my 27.5″ one in 2017 sold it last year got a Slash 8 great bike cant tell you about the other ones handles like a dream.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Slash and mega ride very differently.

The trek is lively and even twitchy sometimes, the mega is planted and more of a bulldozer.

I’d probably take a punt on the Vitus, out of those three.

The 2020 Nukeproof 29ers are much better than those from previous years; geometry and suspension are totally sorted. Megas tend to ride a little better overall than the Vitus IMO.

JP

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The 2020 Nukeproof 29ers are much better than those from previous years; geometry and suspension are totally sorted

How would you describe the previous years’ suspension vs 2020, out of interest?

I have my own ideas (having owned one), but not everyone agrees with me. Geometry was awesome though, maybe just needed slight tweaks to head & seat angles.

Might be worth trying a Bird AM9 if looking at further options.

The 2020 Nukeproof 29ers are much better than those from previous years; geometry and suspension are totally sorted

How would you describe the previous years’ suspension vs 2020, out of interest?

I have my own ideas (having owned one), but not everyone agrees with me. Geometry was awesome though, maybe just needed slight tweaks to head & seat angles.

There’s more mid stroke support, a bit more travel and the head angle is slacker and reach is longer. The old one never felt as good as the 27.5 Mega at the rear, but now it’s much better.

JP

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

That sounds sensible. I agree it lacked support and would hang up on edges – giving a lot of feedback through the feet.

Pedaled like crap too IMO.

My friend is quite happy with his though and rides it pretty hard, so maybe it just wasn’t the bike for me.

Premier Icon richwales
    Subscriber

I went from a remedy to slash 8. You can get some good deals on 2019 models if you look around. Loved the remedy and wanted the same fit, ride and feel with bigger wheels and the slash has been perfect. You can also “mullet” the slash in the high setting – like two bikes in one!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

The Slash is a beast, but, it’s a little short of dropper post space if you want to fit a really long post. (and it’s not really all that long a bike so I think most folks would want to err up a size which compounds that)

The old Mega was really excellent and the new one seems to just build on that. Haven’t ridden it though.

Haven’t ridden the Vituses, they’d definitely be contenders if I wanted a new bike tomorrow.

arogers

The Slash is indeed a beast of a bike. I’m very surprised by the “twitchy” comment above as I’d say it’s one of the most stable bikes I’ve ridden. It doesn’t like going slow though. Definitely a bike that rewards commitment.

I think from Trek’s stable I’d probably choose a Fuel EX for the Tweed Valley. Admittedly I haven’t ridden the current model, only the one just gone. That said, my Slash does just fine in Vegan Valley, so you probably can’t go too far wrong.

I’d recommend a Bird but I don’t want you getting any faster.

Blackflag

It’s never long before someone suggests the Bird AM9 on here is it?

It’s never long before someone suggests the Bird AM9 on here is it?

And?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.