New bike time! Slightly odd hybrid crosser alfine thingy…..

Home Forum Bike Forum New bike time! Slightly odd hybrid crosser alfine thingy…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New bike time! Slightly odd hybrid crosser alfine thingy…..
  • toby1

What an oddity, sure it’ll gain some attention, but I reckon it’ll be very capable.

I know it’s an unfinished build but that is no excuse for taking a non-driveside picture, with the valves not aligned to 6pm and the tyres and valves not aligned 😉

DrP

Hey – it IS finished!!

Well, I’ve future plans to rebuild the wheels, and might change the brake pads when they wear out….

DrP

EDIT – Pisswangle – I forgot to line up the rear valve/logo…..!

DrP

With what friends and lovers call my ‘obsession with slightly atypical bikes’ continuing, I felt there was space in the garage (there really isn’t – it’s a mess) for this sort of thing….

Clearly it started life a a Kona DrFine (Giggle) purchased from Loddrik from ‘ere…
    Originally flat barred and trigger shifted (Alfine), I got some Midges and Versa Shifters, again from here. Then got some R505 cable calipers from, erm, here…
    The cables came from a shop though!! And some CX tyres are in the post too!

It’s my first drop barred bike, so of course I had to have Midge bars just to be ‘funky and alternative’! It’s taken a few twists and trials to get the hoods set up comfortably, but as this is taking my drop bar virginity, to me it all feels great!

The sliding drop-outs are a pleasure to use – much nicer than plain old horizontals, which I have on the fixie – there is a bit of a weight penalty, and TBH like ‘one of Sisco’s laydeezz’ all the weight is in the back 😯 , But I suppose it gives a bit more weight over the traction wheel (Perhaps…)

The plan is for this to be my ‘pretty much do everything bike’, and is going to be replacing the use of a car completely for work – you can make a patient group get used to most things TBH, and turning up on a bike is often a conversation starter (once on a home visit I met a lovely old couple who used to race FIXED TANDEMS! Bonkers)

So, anyway, comment away on the paving, grass, and if you wish, the bike!!

DrP

DrP

Well, what can I say!
    Stuck some Smart Sam’s on it, and this thing is ORESUM!

Flies along the tarmac, flies along the grass and gravel…A bit ‘different’ (from a meta5 with phat tyres) down fast tech descents, but this may well turn out to be my most versatile and favouritestes bike!!

If you’re a bit ‘cross-curious’, go for it!!

DrP

(the best thing is you can make new Strava segments that involve road and trail!)

Looks great . . . But it really does make me wonder if any cycling psychologists out there want to do a Phd on what someones bike says about their personality 🙂

ryreed

Really like that…looks good

Premier Icon soundninjauk
    Subscriber

I love the colour and the lines. I must admit I don’t fully understand what’s going on at the back though?

DrP

..what’s going on at the back though?

Well, there’s:
    -sliding dropouts
    -disc brake
    -hitch for towing trailer! I bet it’s that that put you off!!

As for the colour, it’s become affectionately known as “the polished turd”…

DrP

Premier Icon soundninjauk
    Subscriber

-hitch for towing trailer! I bet it’s that that put you off!!

So that’s what it is. I seeeeeee.

This is not helping my desire for a newer shinier sexier commuter bike. Dammit people.

1 shed

Very nice bike that, drop bar off road is quite good fun.

DrP

Feedback time….
    So, took the CX bike for a group blast last night – South Downs /Woods areas…
    The ground was dry and hard- VERY hard! You really notice every trail bump with skinny tyres at 70PSI!
    It’s not rocky here, but very rooty – It took a few tried to ‘figure out’ the weight balance whilst riding the drops. That is to say, you have to really put effort in to ‘deweight’ the front going over roots/ruts, but once you’ve figured it, that’s fine.

I did miss suspension/fat tyres when bombing along the singletrack – I got ‘pinged off’ at one point as I hit a stump coming around a corner at speed, and got bounced into the bushes!

However – I had a smile on my face the whole time, and was being ‘very noisy’ the whole ride (“whoa””Wow””eek” etc!), so all in all it was a cracking ride on a cracking bike!

Here’s the ride on strava…

DrP

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

It was fast on the twitchy bits and you only got one puncture so I’d say that was a success.

Only falling off properly once was a result too!

STATO

If your riding in the drops all the time (especially offroad) try putting them a bit higher. You have quite a considerable saddle-bar drop if your using the drops as the main hand position.

DrP

You have quite a considerable saddle-bar drop if your using the drops as the main hand position.

I take that on board but it’s not discomfort, rather the ‘getting used’ to the position.

DrP

STATO

Thats what i meant really, you probably wouldnt have an XC bike with that amount of drop, will make it much more ‘usable’ offroad if you nudge them up a bit, weight balance as you say. Of course each to their own, just passing knowledge learned through similar experience.

I should say i never got on with midge bars either (twisted wrist in funny way), salsa Cowbell much nicer.

DrP

True.
    Though it may dent phenomenal road speed somewhat if i did… 😉

There’s steerer space – can always give it a go…

DrP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New bike time! Slightly odd hybrid crosser alfine thingy…..’ is closed to new replies.