New bike time, Quite like the idea of an Orange Five…

Home Forum Bike Forum New bike time, Quite like the idea of an Orange Five…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New bike time, Quite like the idea of an Orange Five…
  • Geometry looks good!

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

If it feels right get it but, not before you’ve tried as many as possible.

Great user name.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Not sure I can be much help. I love mine, but I just don’t understand all the crap that is written about them from both sides. I guess it’s just because it’s made here, but reading stuff online you’d think it was either some wonder bike or the spawn of the devil. Mine is just a nicely sorted 140mm trail bike. It’s fun to ride, but then so are lots of other trail bikes I’m sure. I like the simplicity of the design, but more complex designs work well too and even the most complex bearing change isn’t that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. It does come in a nice bright colour though.

ahwiles

if you want one, great, get one, enjoy, stick it to the haters.

but if you’re just after ‘a bike’, you can get a lot more, for a lot less.

roverpig – Member
    Not sure I can be much help. I love mine, but I just don’t understand all the crap that is written about them from both sides. I guess it’s just because it’s made here, but reading stuff online you’d think it was either some wonder bike or the spawn of the devil. Mine is just a nicely sorted 140mm trail bike. It’s fun to ride, but then so are lots of other trail bikes I’m sure. I like the simplicity of the design, but more complex designs work well too and even the most complex bearing change isn’t that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. It does come in a nice bright colour though.

You’ll RUIN the internet, being all reasonable like that

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Tried one, tried the alpine, owned hecklers, prefer my VPP these days. Felt like it needed a lot of help from the shock which took something away from it (The rep stuck the RP23 on max pro pedal before we set off)

Nobody ever seems to publish a frame weight on them either.

Try lots of different bikes, it’s a good time to have a go on everything 🙂

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Liking the angles on the new 650b..

tonyd

I had one and loved it. It wasn’t the best climber but if you’re fit that won’t matter. Did a weeks riding in the Sierra Nevada and it was brilliant, it never felt out of place on the steepest and rockiest descents. My bum went before the bike felt like it was anywhere near it’s limits.

Try one though if you haven’t already as they do seem to be a bit marmite.

The only reason I sold mine was because I don’t really do (m)any big trips these days and I felt a bit silly pootling round Swinley on it.

Premier Icon captain_bastard
    Subscriber

Looking for a new bike, will be for riding where my fuel ex is a bit under gunned (lakes, alps etc). Ridden a few bikes, and will try a few more

Am warming towards a five, feels about right and nice and simple to work on

Lovers and haters, convince me either way!

Premier Icon alibongo001
    Subscriber

OP if you decide a 5 for you and you want an 18″ I have a lovely 2012 one for sale if you are interested?

(Apple green with Fox / Hope everything)

I can send pictures if you want!

PS I love mine and do lots of Calderdale rides on it through the year. It was spectacularly good when I took it for a week to lake Garda too!

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

if you like how the Fuel climbs, you’ll probably hate the 5, test ride is essential

888trojan888

I have a five and love it. Its a bit lardy for climbing compared to alot of other full susses out there but its great fun to ride, solid and a general hoot downhill.

If its fun you want go with the five its a quick up hill bike you are after then you will probably want to look else where

I loved my Five, even though it was welded by blind man and cost far too much.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Still haven’t ridden the latest little-wheel Five but the 29er is bloody good. The build quality and finish seems improved over my old orange as well. Still not at all stiff but that’s cool, stiff is overrated.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

got a five, had others.

Right. Its an ok bike. Its not fantastic its not rubbish. It does everything i ask of it and more. Other folks i ride with get a LOT more out of theirs. if you compare it to a faux bar type suspension i personally felt that it didnt offer the magic carpet ride that you got from those type of bikes. Its a lot more active (bouncy) I like it and it makes it an engaging ride imo. Going from a canyon nerve AM to this was like night and day in the enjoyment stakes.

It does have a nice pride of ownership thing associated with it though and i think that accounts for most of it.

transition1

Get a Covert 27.5
    I know a lad who rode is 2013 Covert on everything he rode is TR450 on in Whistler BP
    a very capable bike which also rides uphill too

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

Had mine for 4 years now and still love it… If I had to reduce my bikes to 1 it would be the Orange that is the last standing. I like the fact that the same bike that I was hanging off the back of on sketchy steep Alpine descents will also happily do the local club xc ride with just a change of tyres. A doddle to maintain and look after and a hoot to ride downhill, if not the ultimate climbing machine but that’s what a hardtail is for.

I had a 2009 5 for four years , it did most things ok and was a fun ride, always put a smile on my face on most terrain . I think the main flaw is that it is very dependant upon the performance of the rear shock how the bike performs. I also think that orange have sat on their laurels a bit and the newer models are overpriced for the spec.I test rode a blur and bought it , I was amazed how much better it climbed and how it felt better on the downhills [ partly because I never got on with the hope mono minis on the orange ] ,As someone else said the VPP is amazing and just works so well .

ChunkyMTB

You need a set of these with it

catvet

New version is great, only other with a good geometry as the new Five is a banshee spitfire ( as 140 trail bike)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

catvet – Member

New version is great, only other with a good geometry as the new Five is a banshee spitfire

TBH there’s nothing that exciting about the new five geo, wheels aside it’s within a bawhair of my hemlock, which is as cutting edge as a mud brick. That’s not a criticism mind, lovely collection of numbers and Orange have nailed it out of the box without fannying around with anglesets and that like I have.

glasgowdan

I know of one for sale, set up pro spec with a ccdb coil (which totally transforms the bike) and new pikes up front.

Email in profile if you want me to put you in touch. The guys selling it as he fancies a change after riding it for a few years.

timberjack

test rode one at Glentress against a Gyro and although the gyro seemed faster up and down i bought a 5 as it seemed more fun and i have wanted one for years, cant wait to get it and it should be here just before i go for a weeks holiday in the lakes

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

I have a 5, a Fuel Ex and a Camber 29er. I ride the 5 through most of the winter. Much different to the multi pivot bikes with a much less supple ride but a great winter mud suspension bike. Get one if you enjoy it and you won’t be disappointed.

Jonny5

If you have got on well with the Fuel but need more. What about the Remedy?

pitchpro2011

I love mine, the first thing you notice especially if you ride a canyon nerve then this is that it doesn’t climb as well. It is almost as good climbing as my pitch was though. It goes down much better than my pitch did which is a longer travel bike. When I look at other bikes they would be in addition to my five rather than replace. I’m outbiked.

trailmoggy

The only thing I liked about my five was the noise

gaz552

catvet – Member
    New version is great, only other with a good geometry as the new Five is a banshee spitfire ( as 140 trail bike)

The new Merida OneForty 5B also has that good geometry and 145mm travel.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

looks very close to the Bronson and new heckler geometry too…

edit any reason Orange won’t post frame & bike weights?

joeegg

I had a 5 for a year and just never got on with it.The geometry just felt wrong for me, feeling not well balanced.A lot of climbing where I lived and the 5 was hard work.
    Changed to a Reign and I started enjoying riding again.The issue about the single pivot being easier to maintain doesn’t really come into it. I changed the Reigns myself with no problems for 20 odd quid. The Reign was miles cheaper,better finished and specced with a lighter weight too.

catvet

As it’ says in my previous post 140 mm travel, to get those angles all the other bikes posted have longer travel !!
    Weight is 27.5 lbs 10 speed hope hubs BB Stans tubeless Hope headset stem And brakes, Thompson bars and dropper post excluding pedals
    No noise running 10 speed and clutch mech. Join the program !!!

catvet

As it’ says in my previous post 140 mm travel, to get those angles all the other bikes posted have longer travel !!
    Weight is 27.5 lbs 10 speed hope hubs BB Stans tubeless Hope headset stem And brakes, Thompson bars and dropper post excluding pedals
    No noise running 10 speed and clutch mech. Join the program !!!

The frames are light – simple single pivot monocoque rear which isn’t super stiff. You’d have to try hard to make a frame like that heavier than the norm! Don’t know about the full builds, always seem to come with weird skinny rims and inappropriate tyres…

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

mikewsmith – Member

The suss frames probably have a bit more variation than most due to how they’re made. They’re mostly sensible weights but it’s annoying, they throw around “300g lighter” and the like happilly enough.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New bike time, Quite like the idea of an Orange Five…’ is closed to new replies.