Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • New bike thread : Time for a small change about…. 29er Spearfish :)
  • nuke

I’ll ask LBS guy tomorrow to do it if he has scales in there.

Be interesting to know as I saw the review on the MuddyMoles website and their build came in just under 29lb with Crest, Rebas and 1×9 which was heavier than I expected

Jeffus
    Free Member

My Fish very very good bike climbs well and goes down even better, sadly had to sell mine, would highly recommend one , the frame is solid and the quality is A1 , maxle back end was very stiff, 25.9lb in the picture, changed out a few parts got it down to 25.66lb with pedals 😀
    Rebas had 20mm axles so nice ne stiff 🙂

Clink

Jeffus – how do they size up? Are you on an 18″?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jeffus
    Free Member

Hi yes I was on an 18″ medium, they are roomy, I’m 5’9″. short stem wide bars , rides really well

KevinPP
    Free Member

Jeffus – where did you get your frame?

weeksy

Srry, this should really be the completed build thread

Well here’s the final pic and final spec (needs a few bits fitting when they arrive)
    Salsa Spearfish, size large.
    Hope Pro2 Evo with Crests.
    Bontrage Mud-x
    Formula Mega (rear)
    Formula K18 (Front)
    Formula rotors
    Fox float 32 F100 / 15mm maxle
    XTR Bottom bracket mounted in PF converters to standard BB.
    Rockshox Monarch
    SLX 10 speed shifter
    Shimano full lenght gear cable.
    Deore cranks running a 32T
    SLX cassette 11-36
    SRAM generic chain
    Superstar XCR-st chainguide
    Funn fatboy riser bars
    Hope Headset
    Ragley stubbing stem
    Well B-54 pedals
    Giant lock-on grips
    Salsa seatclamp
    Charge Spoon

To be fitted : SLX shadow+ rear mech. Renthal 32T chainring.

Riding the bike in the street, i’m VERY happy with how it rides… it’s a lovely bike/shape/position. However, i’ve swapped the bars off from this photo to risers due to issues hitting the top-tube of frame with the bottom of shifter. I’ll decide on Thurs (working from home) which set of bars i prefer to ride with and set accordingly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Riding the bike in the street, i’m VERY happy with how it rides… it’s a lovely bike/shape/position. However, i’ve swapped the bars off from this photo to risers due to issues hitting the top-tube of frame with the bottom of shifter. I’ll decide on Thurs (working from home) which set of bars i prefer to ride with and set accordingly.

I run my bars low and they hit the top tube on all my bikes, never been a problem (and I crash a lot)

weeksy

Good to know mate 🙂 thanks. I can base my decision on what position i prefer then instead 🙂

cooie

Weeksy how tall are you? I’m so tempted by a Spearfish especially at the reduced price and Charliethebikemonger just 2mins down the road 🙂

weeksy

6’0 I think they come in a fraction small compared to some, but I do only have a 60mm stem I admit.

Large is only fractioknally bigger than my medium Giant xtc29

wwaswas

I’d have moved the table 🙂

Nice bike mister.

STATO
    Free Member

Nice build Weeksy, get out bike-packing on it! Here is mine, im 6ft4 and frame is a Large, tiny bit short but makes it better for long rides.

Looking down on Gladhouse Reservoir by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

cooie

Looks like large it is then. 🙂

Clink

Stato – are those Rebas at 100 or 120?

STATO
    Free Member

120s knocked down to 100. Might open them up again and go for 110mm as they dont feel particularly great. Can understand why weeksy was so keen to keep his fox.

Clink

Can you go 110? I’ve got a set and I thought it was 80/100/120?

weeksy

So today was the Spearfish’s debut ride.

So, it was a bit soft on the rear to start, another 30 psi in there and that felt a lot better. Using my rudimentary weighing techniques, the weight came in at 27l, (12.3kg) which is a weight i’m very happy with.

Geometry feels closer to my old Meta rather than the Giant XTC29 which suprised me, i thought it would be VERY XC feeling. However a chunk of the reason for that may be the riser bars and short stem, rather than just the overall riding geometry. However, i don’t see this as a bad thing as it breeds and inspires confidence.

Hitting the icy trails is rides smoothly and takes in the bumps with ease, feeling very compliant on the trails. Hard to say how it feels in anger as i wasn’t really pushing things, just tootling along and trying things out.

The Formula Mega rear brake is great, really happy with that STW Sales section purchase…

The Superstar XCR chainguide performs silently…. Which is superb 🙂

Overall, i don’t see any issues with the bike in the slightest… looking at the rear and front, i need to stiffen both just a smidgen as they’re getting a bit too much travel at the moment, but that’s a minor thing.

Happily, there’s nothing hanging off, broken or flapping about. The cranks running the PF converter to standard BB seems to work like a dream.. so we’re all happy.

weeksy

Final prep before ride at the w’e, fitted the Renthal and chainstay protector and threw a bit of air in the tyres, lined up the brakes… all good to go 🙂

weeksy

So, the bike made it’s trailcentre debut today…

From the first seconds sitting on it even in the car-park it was superb… the geometry, riding position and the small climbs in the car-park and me and the Spearfish we friends.

It climbs like a mountain goat, eating the trails with ease… showing it’s weight (or lack of) on the climbs with superb style. Onto the downhills (Reds and blacks) and the bike is rocking and rolling sweetly… it turns, weaves and changes direction brilliantly. Couple of minor jumps and air time and some switchbacks, berms and sweepers and i’m still feeling the love.

The 1×10 and the new chainring caused me no issues at all. Although there was a climb, short sharp jobbie where an extra tooth would have been nice… but just stepped on the power, pushed the pedals and made it 🙂

I’m still struggling to find this ‘rear end flex’ i’m honestly bemused as to when i should be feeling it… or the longer chainstay causing a problem… i can’t find that either… Add the fact that the thing looking bloody lovely in the flesh… and i’m a very very happy boy.

I’m sitting here trying to think of a downside and for the life of me… i can’t.

rOcKeTdOg

i wish charlie did 0% finance 😥

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

Weeksy how do you get on with the mud x,s ? I have a fish with ralphs but the rear clearance is tight.would like abit more traction in the gloop!

cooie

Weeksy, I’m really tempted with the Spearfish, but am a bit worried having been used to 5 or 6″ bikes, that the rear travel wouldn’t be enough. Would you say the 80mm travel is comparable to a 26er with more travel?

weeksy

The mud x’s are brilliant. It was icys y’day and I slipped on climb twice,but then my mate on high rollers informed me he had too. So that stopped my worried. But they’re light, grtiipy and still roll well, so I love them.

Comparisons on travel etc are wasted on me sorry. Due to my wheels on ground style of riding even on mountains I am not in a place to comment. I didn’t feel under biked at all and the fact the Fish dominated the climbs means I would have allowed for some faults.

weeksy

Just fitted myself a Shimano Deore rear brake. No matter what i did with the Formula rear there was always a bit of drag, so much so that generally the wheel would only rotate 1 full rotation before coming to a stop. The Shimano was cheap on Merlin, fitted and is LOVELY… wheel spins like a dream now. I’ll probably keep the forumla as a spare as 1700mm length brakes are hard to find in emergencies…

Also ordered a 185gr Bontrager carbon seatpost which should arrive today along with a set of 710mm carbon FSA bars, which come in at 230gr. Both of these should give me about 400gr off the overall weight compared to standard. I was debating between going down the Reverb route, but in all honesty a lighter bike would be better than one with a dropper post, add to the fact i picked both items up for very good money so was a lot less cash than the dropper.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Weeksy – now you’ve had it for a few weeks do you notice the lack of rear travel? I’m torn between a Spearfish or a Spesh Camber Comp.

Thought I had decided on the Spearfish, as I think that will be the lighter build, but I’m not sure 80mm is enough. Not that I’m some sort of air bandit or ride particularly rocky trails, but I’m coming from a 150mm trail bike.

Got a demo on the Spesh over Xmas but can’t get one on a Spearfish so any feedback appreciated.

johnnystorm

Are you looking at a 26 or 29 Camber?

I replaced my 26″ Camber comp & Canyon 29er as the Spearfish was as comfy as the Camber & as fast as the Canyon.

davosaurusrex

Thought you’d have pulled the trigger by now Kev! Did big ginge mention I’m thinking of selling the 5 spot and getting a Sultan?

cooie

Thought I had decided on the Spearfish, as I think that will be the lighter build, but I’m not sure 80mm is enough. Not that I’m some sort of air bandit or ride particularly rocky trails, but I’m coming from a 150mm trail bike.

Having similar dilemma – Spearfish or Horsethief.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Problem for me with the horsethief is the minging colour, can’t we get them in black like the yanks?

weeksy

Kev I confess due to bad weather I’ve only ridden it the once. Rest of my riding has been gym or road. Even round here though I’m unlikely to be affected due to terrain locally

KevinPP
    Free Member

Jonnystorm – 29er Camber. Already have a 29er ht and thats confused me even more bacause with low pressure it rolls over roots etc with applomb.
    Dave – I would have, but been waiting for Whyte to sort my frame, and deliberating over which 29er to replace it with…
    Saw on another thread you’re thinking of a Sultan? Welcome to try the Camber if you want to hook up over Xmas week.
    Weeksy – get out there man; I need feedback! 😉

weeksy

Kev, I certainly never felt u dear biked at llandegla with it.

Clink

weeksy – did you grease your PF30 adaptor?

weeksy

Clink, I confess I never installed it, I took to my lbs to install headset and he did the BB then too!

davosaurusrex

Kev, wouldn’t mind a go on a Camber but what size have you borrowed? Probably going to be a bit small for me?

weeksy

Today was the first PROPER XC ride on the Spearfish.

I’m REALLY struggling to find something that isn’t brilliant about it. It handles great, rides brilliantly, climbs, descends and cracks along great.

I have had to do something a little bit weird which is to move the rear brake mount in by 1mm-1.3mm by using a spacer, reason is that with the Formula Mega i was getting some rubbing no matter what i tried. I fitted the Shimano rear and it still rubs.. moving the caliper in by 1mm gives it perfect lining up and it’s all good.

Did 3 1/2 hours of XC and felt mostly (apart from the thighs) as fresh as a daisy 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

How are u finding the monach shock? Does it have lockout etc?

rOcKeTdOg

Actually, just googled it, it doesn’t 🙁

johnnystorm

Rocket, it doesn’t have lock out but I don’t really notice it (like I do on my camber for example). It’s the perfect FS for a facial hair toting swift rider like myself. 😉

STATO
    Free Member

It dosnt have lockout but it does have a mild pro-pedal. More than enough with a sensible pressure in the shock, bit bobby if run soft (but you will be hitting the bump-stops a lot if you do that).

Ive just fitted a Fox RP3 to mine, seems a little nicer but you do need that tiny bit of pro-pedal to stop bobbing if out the saddle.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread : Time for a small change about…. 29er Spearfish :)’ is closed to new replies.