Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • New bike thread : CHARRRRGGGGGE !
  • weeksy

As you’re aware I’ve been looking round for a generic XC 29er recently. I was thinking of this and that… new or used…

I then found this, a quick phone call later and it’s winging it’s way to mine to arrive on Thurs 🙂

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251577889704?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wanted *x10 as it makes it easier for swapping wheels between the Meta and the new bike. It also comes with the right bits hanging off it to make upgrading it if desired simple and easy.

This will be 90% my winter bike, the Commencal will get the odd run out, but it will be quite rare I think.

I’ll see what these brakes are like but I’ve got others to go on it if needed at home anyway.

The Hopes will take off a bit of the extra weight it has on it… Right size, right geometry and perfect for winter XC and road duties.

🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m commenting here so that your thread doesn’t slide to page 2 totally ignored, spoiling your new bike buzz.

ska-49
    Free Member

This will work nicely up on the Ridgeway and Swinley. Good price too!
    Hate the crankset though- always though they were ugly. I;m sure they are perfectly functional.

fasthaggis

This is excellent news.
    You can now stop riding your wife’s bike 😉

Good price BTW 🙂

woody2000

I bought a Plug 4 from SDJ – it was cheap, but it was literally a bike in a box and nothing whatsoever had been done to it in terms of pre-assembly. Just something to bear in mind 🙂

Enjoy!

hooli

Looks good value

NormalMan

Congratulations on the new bike.

Be warned, I bought a 29er HT and the fs hasn’t been out much at all!

bikecrack
    Free Member

Good bike, good price ….Let’s go !

weeksy

Thanks Matt

(and everyone else)

Not worried about pre-assembly in all honesty, I’ve built bikes etc, so will be checking everything and setting it all up before riding. I may even take straight to 1×10 before it’s ridden to be honest as that’s where it will end up anyway soon. Depends if I can find all the bits I need to convert. Think so though.

Will also see if the stem/bars are right for my, or if they’ll need tweaking as I don’t want it to be a full on XC Racer, so will depend on the geometry I guess.

Best bit is…. I never paid that 🙂 we did a deal outside of ebay so was another £20 off price 🙂

scotroutes

Nice frames. I like that they have a higher-than-average BB. Makes for fewer pedal strikes and the slightly higher CoG seems to make it quite nimble.

mattjg
    Free Member

that worked then

(I quite fancy on of the SS Cookers myself).

deviant
    Free Member

Hate the crankset though- always though they were ugly. I;m sure they are perfectly functional.

Just had that exact crankset, mechs etc fitted to my other half’s Ragley for the winter, it’s cheap but works perfectly….as with all things MTB it depends on the fit and set-up, if it’s been set-up well you wont notice it which is how things should be on a ride….you shouldnt be thinking about the mechanics of your bike while riding, they should be quietly doing their job unnoticed.

weeksy

What’s the score with the BB lads ? I’ve got a 1×10 HT2 SLX crankset here along with an XT (maybe XTR actually) rear 10 speed mech I can throw on there for sticking to 1×10 and lightening it a little longer term. But don’t know anything about these cranks/BBs, is the BB removable to leave a HT2 compatible thread ?

(maybe I read something wrong earlier, I thought it was an Octalink?)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

according to the spec it’s octalink BB so you’ll need some HT2 cups to fit a HT2 crank.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-bb51-deore-hollowtech2-bottom-bracket-51282.html

teadrinker
    Free Member

Enjoy! I love my Cooker.

weeksy

reggiegasket – Member

according to the spec it’s octalink BB so you’ll need some HT2 cups to fit a HT2 crank.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-bb51-deore-hollowtech2-bottom-bracket-51282.html

PErfect, no worries.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hope the bloke who welded it wasn’t as pissed as the bloke who puts the stickers on. Otherwise, very nice.

weeksy

I’ve just spent the last 50 mins sorting the wheels/tyres out. Removing the spacers for the 15mm and 142 stuff and fitting 9mm QRs all round. I’ve left the rotors off for now as i’ll take the wheels to my LBS tomorrow for the re-build/service I’ve been promising them for ages now. If they’re not ready for the weekend it’s no biggy, but would be nice if they are I guess.

The 1×10 stuff, I dunno you know, I VERY rarely use anything other than the middle, but as this bike is only 2×10 and a 38T front ring, I may just leave that side as it is. It’s a silly small seatpost, so unlikely to find a nice dropper for it, but shouldn’t need the dropper anyway mostly for the stuff i’ll be riding.

weeksy

Been reading up on the Promax Decipher brakes… which basically seem to work about as well as putting your feet on the floor 🙂

Happily I have a brand new set of Shimano M575 front and rear I bought from Merlin as emergency spares… So they’ll be getting fitted before the bike even turns a wheel.

weeksy

New bike day for me too today 🙂

Why can’t couriers deliver at 7am… I’m up and about.

weeksy

Bike arrived stupidly early this morning… happy days.

It’s now built and waiting for 11ish for an hours blast on the trails.

New brakes fitted, the rest for now is completely standard. (Well, apart from the chainstay protector, bottle holder and MRP front guard.

NormalMan

Nice one. Always good when the courier arrives nice and early.

Look forward to hearing your initial views.

Have fun!

weeksy

There’s one interesting thing that I’ve found, it seems to have a standard HT2 bottom bracket… Unless I’m missing something really obvious, seems to be the new twirly style Deore double that are on CRC etc.

Arguably the rear brake cable should be 10cm shorter… but hey, we can’t have everything on day 1.

Bathroom scales weighing has it as 14kg with pedals, chainstay and MRP, bottle cage. Hopefully we’ll take a chunk off that when the HOPE wheels have been serviced.

weeksy

So, how was the bike… Well, it was essentially as you’d expect I guess. It wasn’t amazing, wasn’t rubbish. It was a bike built to a budget and at times you could tell.

The coil sprung fork is too soft, but it’s more about the ‘bounce’ in it, when climbing on dirt, if left open it’s VERY bouncy…. The good news is, that means it’s quite nice on the downhills. It’s a compromise fork, but at a compromise price, you can’t expect anything more I guess.
    Handling and ‘ride’ are excellent, it really picks up pace well when you try and get a bit more power down on the flats, impressed.

I spent a good 20 mins during the ride tweaking this, tweaking that, adjusting this and adjusting that. Brakes, bars, cranks, etc, all needed a little sorting out to get it a bit closer to where I need it to be.

The biggest disappointment were my Shimano M575 brakes… Not sure why but they’re basically garbage currently. Could be the pads need bedding in, could be the new rotors need a bit of bedding in, but essentially they’re garbage. I’ve checked them for air and given them a little bleed… but not sure they’re quite right at this stage. So it will be decision time, new pads or new complete brakes. Debating that one..

Little things I don’t like for example, the rear mech cable, sticks out a ridiculous amount, I may need to trim that and re-fit the shifter cable.

Shifters, well, they’re just crap LOL. They work, they do the job, but they’re poop. Also as they’re Shimano ones they’re designed to work from the top with finger, as I’ve been running SRAM I’ve got so used to thumb shifting. They DO work thumb shifting but the lever isn’t designed to work the same that way, so it’s not as comfy. Also the large window means I can’t get the brakes in the right position for proper 1 finger braking. I’ll likely swap out the 10 speed shifter ASAP, leaving the 2 speed front until I need it.

Overall, it may not sound like it as I’ve been very critical of the bike above, but I really do like it… it’s a cracking bike, I just need to tweak it to my positions/feel/wants a bit before I’m happy.

scotroutes

You might be able to remove the shifter windows (there may even be blanking caps).

Re-try the brakes after the rotors have some pad material laid down.

Be a bit careful with the rear mech cable. You don’t want to end up with too small a radius as that will eat the inside out of the outer and you’ll be back complaining you can’t get your indexing to work.

weeksy

scotroutes – Member

You might be able to remove the shifter windows (there may even be blanking caps).

Won’t take anything apart just yet, I screwed up my old style SLX window by trying to remove that once upon a time lol

Yak

I think that looks great. Nice simple clean hardtail. See you on it at the next Gorrick.

weeksy

Ordered up a new Zee windowless shifter for the 10 side. Now need to debate whether to stick with 1×10 and at the risk of someone else buying it, get this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301361950291?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    That should give me the ability to move my levers ?

Or option 2 is just go 1×10 on it and get it all done now.

weeksy

So today was Swinley Forest, Blue/Red/Blue, the generic ride for most people, a decent test of bikes and handling, performance and power etc.

First things first then i’ll put up the bad bits.
    The Shimano brakes… much as they’ve now bedded in a bit, they’re still bloody rubbish compared to my favourite Formula RX’s.
    The Bars…. Not sure why or what, but they’re just not right for me, too low, too dragged back

That’s about it for the bad things really.. The rest of the bike is absolutely spot on. The riding, turning and handling is great. Although it’s a bit rubbish at jumping, not sure whether it’s timing, weight or what, but the thing barely gets off the floor.
    You have to change your riding style on the HT as we know, a lot more time up and out of the saddle, which is fine with me, sitting down on certain terrain just isn’t enjoyable. But you turn the pedals and it flies along nicely, cracks into the turns and holds speed well. Whilst the geometry is very different to the Meta AM, that doesn’t mean it’s wrong or bad… it’s just different.
    The HT climbs really well, even up out of the saddle it has brilliant grip and ability to keep climbing.
    The 10 speed gearing with a 38T is perfect for Swinley, there’s 1 climb up to the Labrinyth that’s about as steep as Swinley gets, but it’s fine for that hill, I got up it quickly and easily, could have even used the 2nd gear I needed I guess.
    Roots/rocks, well, they’re not as ‘nice’ on the HT, but to be honest, Swinley isn’t THAT bad, there’s only 1 or 2 small sections where you feel you want it a little softer.

I’m looking forward to getting the lighter Hope/Crests fitted next week when the winter rubber arrives, see how much difference the lighter weight wheels make.

I’ve got back and swapped the bars for some 30mm riser bars, 720mm width, which feel FAR more ‘me’ and the brakes are on their way to the door via courier, so we’re all good and looking forward to winter.

weeksy

I have a small debate with the forks at the moment.

I can get a pair od REBA Dual air, 100mm forks, perfectly compatible with my bike for £120 posted… there’s another couple of options also, a pair od FOx Floats, a pair of Revelations maybe.

Debate is, do I

1. Stick with my coils
    2. Upgrade my coils (£30)
    3. Fit a set of QR based REBA
    4. Fit a 15mm set of ‘something’ and a new front wheel.

weeksy

Sitting waiting in today for the courier to bring the REBA race forks.

The bike now due to spares/purchases is becoming a nice bike.

The Formula RX brakes are superb, absolutely brilliant I have to say.

Add that to the better shifting of the Zee shifters, the nicer bars and the reduction in weight from the Hope/Crests, it’s getting to a decent weight. Once the 700gr lighter REBA go on today, it should be a decent XC bike too as well as a trail bike.

It’s now cost me £600, which when you consider some of the other bikes we’re discussing in threads for £1500+, I rekon I’ve deffo got the better end of the deal here 🙂

weeksy

Went out for an hour as the rain stopped this morning about 8.40am, got back at 11.25 LOL. Only planned on a quick ride then possibly going with Crosshair to stand and watch him doing his CX stuff. But I ended up riding aimlessly for hours in various woods and having a lovely time. The rain mostly stayed away. The trails were wet and muddy beyond words, but once you get your head around it, it’s all good.

New forks are excellent, although need softening slightly, but work really well and don’t pogo like the coils. The ride is really really nice on them.

Brakes are spot on.. Very pleased I went back to the Formula RXs

Top morning out… time for errands now

All in all, for the money…it’s a BARGAIN.

weeksy

Just for Scout :

I did a 50km road ride on it yesterday, was pretty decent, held some decent speeds although the gearing isn’t quite right when it goes downhill on the road, only having a 38 front means you can’t really get the most out of it.
    I was having a TONNE of issues with gearing though, “click, nothing..click…something… click….grind….”
    Came home and swapped out the gear cable…. rubbish still, messed about with the 3rd screw on the mech, rubbish… In the end decided with trial and error that it had to be the gear outers, it’s a 3 section semi-enclosed outer. So swapped it out for some new Jagwire outer I had in the spares box along with a new inner and it now shifts like a dream again.

I’m now several weeks in and I’ve not actually sat on the Meta since buying the Cooker, so much so that the Meta is living at a mates place in storage (Although I hope to bring it back in Jan). The only faults are really not ‘faults’ as such, but when I swap wheels the rotors seem to be different widths, which means a bit of faffing. Along with the fact I’ve had to cable tie the new outer in place as it has the funny locating tabs on the frame, which means I can’t fit a full length outer nicely. So I’ve taped it up and cable tied them in place.

I’m still struggling with brake lever and shifter position slightly, I can’t get them quite ‘right’. It’s like the triggers on the Zee shifter are too long, so I put them on the inside of the brake and they’re not right, then onto the grip side … still not quite right Grrrr. I may actually end up dumping the Shimano stuff and going to SRAM X9 over winter if I can’t get them quite how I want it.

Other than that though.. it’s turning into the ideal bike for what I want.

The plan was for some XC racing on it.. but in all honesty, whilst I’m enjoying riding the bike, the thought of racing isn’t making me inspired, so staying away from that.

weeksy

Day out with my gang on the trails 🙂

2orangey4crows

Really nice thread Weeksy. It’s great to see you bonding with the Cooker!

khani
    Free Member

If you’re having caliper alignment issues swapping between wheels try some of these , if you space out the rotors on the wheels where the the discs to far inboard compared to the other set, it should make it an easy swap without faffing with the caliper every time

weeksy

Cheers mate. Its honestly minimal. As they’re Formulas, they’re quite close fitting anyway so is only out by fractions of an mm.

Getting used almost daily at the moment.

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Another Charge lover!!! I bought mine from teadrinker & have to say i love it(plus its different from everyone’s carbon disco machines!!). Now saving for the Ti version & letting the steel become the winter/work SS beardy machine. Ride & enjoy 😀

weeksy

Well that’s a bit of a bummer… .I noticed a couple of times at the weekend a clunk when going uphills and turning the bars….

Yesterday it was even more apparent something wasn’t right…

Took the headset apart this morning… well, what’s left of the headset anyway…It’s just a brown pile of goo… terribly terribly messy and WAY beyond repair.

Straight to LBS and they’re currently fitting a silly expensive (but discounted) ceramic sealed headset instead of the non-sealed type that was in there previously. Pointless arsing about getting a £40 cheap headset to have it fail again in 3 months, so spent a bit more to get a top of the range.

flicker
    Free Member

The standard open cage bearing headsets usually fitted are a bit shite, mine didn’t last very long either.

Any using cartridge bearings will be much better. I’ve got a superstar headset in my Scale that’s been in there for the last 3 years and it’s as good as the day I fitted it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread : CHARRRRGGGGGE !’ is closed to new replies.