New bike – Salsa Vaya

Home Forum Bike Forum New bike – Salsa Vaya

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike – Salsa Vaya
  • Mowgli

Thought I’d indulge in some gratuitous showing off, apologies.

After being delayed about 6 weeks my Vaya frame arrived from Taiwan (via Edinburgh Bike Coop) and I put all the bits that had been on my Roadrat. I’ve not weighed it. It’s not light, but not too bad considering what it’s designed for – XT hubs (front has a dynamo), A319/719 rims and 32mm tyres.

The messy wires under the top tube are for a very bright front and rear dyno-powered LED set, with the gubbins in a box under the saddle.

I’m wondering if it’s too cold for a few days touring somewhere. Not sure if I can wait till spring!

epicsteve

Very nice. Not sure I like the white bar tape but otherwise it looks good.

cynic-al

Sweet. Was looking at this due to another thread today!

Shame you didn’t weigh the frame, that’s a key factor for me.

Looks v. capable. You in Edinburgh ❓ I am 😉

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

That is lovely. If my Fargo aspirations draw a blank, I may consider one of them!

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

May I ask why you changed from the Roadrat?

I have a ‘rat myself and was thinking of changing just for something different. I had wondered about a Salsa or perhaps a Genesis Equilibrium.

magowen100

Nice – would be interested to hear what the frame weight was too.
    Any chance you could post a bit a review once you’ve had a chance to use in anger?
    Cheers
    Matt

Mowgli

Yeah the white tape came with the bars, I’ll maybe change it to brown or pale blue when I get a Brooks swift…

Based in Yorkshire, sorry al!

Changed because the ‘rat’s not a tourer – rack doesn’t fit neatly, and it’s a pita to change the rear wheel when mudguards are fitted. Right tool for the job etc – the wheel drops out very neatly on this, the caliper is in the ‘correct’ position, and there are tons of braze-ons, including the underneath-downtube bottle mount for a fuel bottle.

I’ve not really ridden that many bikes to compare it to (expect the roadrat). I’ve only done about 50 miles on it so far – it’s obviously heavy-ish with the rack on, but quite comfortable and has a very upright position, mostly due to the long headtube.

cynic-al

You’re fitting an engine? 😮 😉

Premier Icon Sideways Tim
    Subscriber

I just weighed a 55cm frame and it’s 4.8lb

cynic-al

Hmmm. Not too bad, IIRC that’s not a great deal more than my Casserol, which is well noodly with front panniers on.

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

Cheers Mowgli. I don’t run disc’s on my ‘rat and my rack fitted fine. Agree that rear punctures can be a pita sometimes when running gears.

I never thought of the Roadrat as a bike for full on touring, but fine for light touring and I have no complaints about that aspect.

steelfan

Hi Mowgli, Love the look of the Vaya, How tall are you and what size did you go for?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike – Salsa Vaya’ is closed to new replies.