Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike park in Fort Augustus
  • didnthurt

Got chatting with a fellow mountain biker today at Comrie Croft. He mentioned that he’s currently in the process of gaining planning permission for a new bike park in Fort Augustus. Something akin to bike park Wales.

Here’s the website.

https://rideness.info

Apparently building work could start May 2023.

Sounds interesting.

dander

Looks great. We stayed at Fort Augustus for a few days last October. Didn’t have bikes but I did some running on the hills the proposed trails are on thinking they’d be good to build on!

duncancallum

That looks smart.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I just wish that more of these things were being built closer to population centres. Surely with energy crisis, climate change, financial trussterfuck etc we should be looking to have stuff that is closer to the user base…

PS. I’m worried that sounds Anglo or even Londoncentric. It’s not supposed to.

scotroutes

I know what you mean but then we’re not seeing any expansion of other employment in these areas of the Highlands. Start shifting more “office” jobs north, build houses, shops, services etc and then things would balance out more. You can’t blame folk for wanting to make the most of the resources on their doorsteps to create employment – even though I hate the idea of McDisneyland. I’d even argue that Fort Augustus isn’t that well served by public transport and so these facilities should be elsewhere. Scotrail have those lovely new bike carriages which would tie into this particularly well but, alas, the railway to Fort Augustus closed in 1946.

chrisyork

That looks so impressive! The very best of luck, I think with a good plan then if needed a crowdfund would look quite attractive too.

Looks exciting though!!

bri-72

New trails a good thing but I see it’s going to be a pay to ride setup. So private enterprise rather than public/grant funded which is what most trail centres are. Not something we’re used to up here, so mixed views from me.

But fair play, can’t knock them for trying to do something new. That climb out of FA is hell though, if the access is anything like that gradient I guess the uplift will be a no brainer.

donald
    Free Member

I’d even argue that Fort Augustus isn’t that well served by public transport and so these facilities should be elsewhere. Scotrail have those lovely new bike carriages which would tie into this particularly well but, alas, the railway to Fort Augustus closed in 1946.

Handy for shipping though

squirrelking
    Free Member

It does say bike park rather than trail centre though, I wouldn’t expect to ride for free.

daviek

I hope they manage it. There was one set for just south of Aberdeen but not being one for facebook, instagram and the likes I just have a look at their website and theres very little in the way of updates.

didnthurt

You can leave comments on the website. I left some.

matt_outandabout

scotroutes+1

scotroutes

Without wanting to appear “anti” (especially as I’m a potential customer), I’m intrigued to see how they handle the obvious Land Access problem. The LR(S)A does make an exception for “land developed and laid out for a specific purpose” but the closest comparison I can think of would be the ski resorts and they are still open, at no cost, to all, making their money from the uplift, catering, hire and parking. They don’t charge for use of the pistes.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Without wanting to appear “anti” (especially as I’m a potential customer), I’m intrigued to see how they handle the obvious Land Access problem. The LR(S)A does make an exception for “land developed and laid out for a specific purpose” but the closest comparison I can think of would be the ski resorts and they are still open, at no cost, to all, making their money from the uplift, catering, hire and parking. They don’t charge for use of the pistes.

The Innerleithen uplift seems to do ok and is in a very similar position. If they can offer really good quality trails and the pedal up is brutal, then I can see the uplift model, cafe, skills coaching etc would do well. Especially given it’s location, where it’s likely people will be travelling a fair distance and may therefore want to maximise their riding time. We even see plenty of e bikes on the uplift here!

clubby

@scotroutes I don’t think the ski centres actually own the land though do they, just the facilities?

Looks like these guys own the land and are charging for access to a visitor attraction, so land access rights wouldn’t apply. Just like you can have access rights to walk in a golf course but can’t just start playing.

Looks like a good project, I wish them luck.

tjagain

Access rights would apply. You would have to pedal up but i don’t see how they could keep you off the trails. Walkers can legally walk on all the 7 stanes trails

Playing golf is not an access right. Cycling is

tjagain

In their planning info they even say it links in to existing trails.

Looks a well thought out proposal

scotroutes

@clubby – not sure about the rest but HIE own the land and facilities at Cairngorm Mountain. I’ve no absolute objection to the suspension of access rights for a bike park but I’m always wary of how similar restrictions could be made for, say, a hunting park… 😉

As regards uplift I didn’t see anything about the method. I’m going to hope it’s not a dirty old diesel. Maybe in time they could even consider a chairlift/gondola?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Walked then biked the site. The hill is gorgeous with loads of potential. The existing trail is really fun and fast. Ends beautifully through a small glade/burn. I wish them all the best it is an excellent site. The uplift road is going in already.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.