• This topic has 33 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New Bike Order (not fulfillable after 7 mths) – need some quick advice
  • walowiz

long (boring) story short-ish
    Had a very rough time with Covid last year, hospital, the works. Survived, came out – day one whilst relaxing I decided to buy my first road bike for 30+years a Scott Addict 10 carbon black from Rutland cycling, as the black version is / was hard to find and they had one on the list. Happy days.

This was October 2021.
    Fast forward to Wednesday this week – May 2022, after me chasing continuously for updates etc and “its on its way”, delayed etc etc yes I understand the bike industry has supply issues, delays etc. So I was ok with the delay, as I can’t currently ride anyway. And worth noting bikes are still being made and supplied, hell some other bike shops have had the Addict 10 🙂

So Wednesday Rutlands e-mail me to say order cannot be fulfilled. Great, just great. Worth pointing out I’ve paid in full already (I can get a full refund btw as an option). I do wonder why it cannot be fulfilled though.

Is there a question here ? Yes there is.

Rutlands have offered by way of compensation a fairly heavy discount on any comparable bike, one in stock or that can be ordered. Apart from a Scott Addict 10, which is annoying and where I first came in on this.
    so is there anything same / better / there ? Given my health even considered an eGravel, or eRoad. but again – nothing really grabs – esp at Rutlands.

I’ve had a look and maybe it’s just my slightly disappointed state of mind, but I can’t see anything that compares. Plus the Addict just looked good and had all the toys, AXS, tidy bar setup etc and grabbed by interest and I didn’t really look at anything else. (yes I am aware this is a FWP)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Thats a lot of cash to spend on your first road bike in nearly 30 yrs. If it was me, i’d get my money back. Have you considered Ti? The Titus Roadrunner from Planet X is still an exotic machine, but half the price. Then you can upgrade the bits you want.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBTIRRFOR1/titus-roadrunner-sram-force-1-titanium-road-bike?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0e-5h6Hu9wIVkOvtCh3ihg7ZEAQYBCABEgKfAPD_BwE#YBTIRRFOR1-MED

kelvin

It’s just the way things are at the moment, unfortunately. If you see another bike in stock you want, anywhere, get your full refund and buy the other bike. If not, just hold on.

walowiz

@monkeysfeet

Thats a lot of cash to spend on your first road bike in nearly 30 yrs. If it

My first new road bike back when I was young was a £645 Raleigh Tour De France replica – that my family thought was an insane amount of money, some 30 years ago. But that bike was absolutely brilliant and worth every penny, not a spec of rust after 25 years (sold it a few years ago). Loved that bike and did a helluva lot of miles on it. Sadly all before Strava

£3k today doesn’t feel outrageous.

walowiz

@kelvin

It’s just the way things are at the moment, unfortunately. If you see another bike in stock you want, anywhere, get your full refund and buy the other bike. If not, just hold on.

I would hang on, but Rutland’s are now saying they cannot get the bike. It was a confirmed order with Scott AFAIK.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Start Fitness / Westbrook have in stock, not sure if your size. Looks very nice / decent spec for money.

I picked up an eBay bargain carbon / 105 as a makeshift road bike after ordering at similar level. Been waiting a year, still not here too. The more I ride road the more I realise I don’t need anything more than carbon / 105 which if you’re lucky you can pick up at 1/5 of the cost. I’ve chosen to save the £.

v7fmp

no specialized road bikes that tickle your fancy? Or dare i say, a gravel bike, some of the Diverge models are very pleasant.

walowiz

Medium 54 is the kind of size I need, as I’m a lowly 5’8″

@sillysilly
    I’ve gone second hand for pretty much all my bikes. This was a bit of a treat and is likely to be the last roadie/gravel thing I ever buy.

@v7fmp
    I thought the addict was a gravel ish – recall watching a vid of it off-road. Looked at the Diverge and Crux, all 1x, the Addict is 2x and had AXS and all the cables were neatly tucked away (pain for servicing but I’ll ignore that for now). Spesh make some good bikes.

v7fmp

ah ok, i wasnt too sure what type of bike the Addict was, so glad i wasnt too far off with my suggestion.

hmmm… does look like there isnt much as an equivalent.

mert
    Free Member

Medium 54 is the kind of size I need, as I’m a lowly 5’8″

So possibly a silver lining then. I’m taller than you, with longish legs and arms and take a small addict with a slightly longer stem than stock (i.e. I’ve ridden one a fair bit).

Have you actually tried it for size, properly?

I thought the addict was a gravel ish

Nope, endurance. They do a gravel version though, and a hardcore road version…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ha ha, no, absolutely not. Ribble have some nice bikes, and if you look on their website they have an “available now” section. Not sure if anything would float your boat.

kelvin

they cannot get the bike

Damn. Can’t see that size available to buy anywhere else either.

= :87(

Are you definitely a 54 rider in that geom? Have you ridden one?

Scott have a size help Gizmo…
    https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-addict-10-bike-carbon-black
    Click FIND YOUR SIZE…. it came up with Small/52 when I put your height in.

Start have a 52 on sale…
    Scott Addict 10 Carbon Road Bike 2022 – Black
    Note: there are always discount vouchers knocking about for Start, so knock at least 5% off that price.

stevextc
    Free Member

Moneyfeet

Thats a lot of cash to spend on your first road bike in nearly 30 yrs. If it was me, i’d get my money back.

I agree… especially as:

as I can’t currently ride anyway

Have you been out on the road in the last however many years?
    I had a go last year.. indeed went with my brother and borrowed his “e-road” thing round the ribble valley. Now I’ve lots of fond memories of cycling round there 30+ years ago.. but quite honestly though it wasn’t unpleasant I didn’t really enjoy it.

My brother does… you MIGHT… but you might not.

joebristol

I was looking at Dolan the other day – the Tuono looks decent and is classed as Endurance. Carbon disc road bike and for £4K you could get one with di2 and select crank length / get an 11-34 cassette for a lower gear / select handlebar width etc.

£3999 is the di2 Ultegra version with the ksyrium wheel upgrade over the standard aksiums.

I’ve got di2 and really like it – I’d take it over AXS everytime as the whole lot runs off one big battery and rarely needs charging. I don’t like that each component in AXS has its own battery to worry about.

footflaps

I was after a Scott Addict 10 at the start of lockdown and the bike shop I was talking to advised that Orbeas were easier to get hold of, so I ended up with an Orbea Orca instead…

Very happy with it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jG5ZVm]Orbea Orca[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

I don’t like that each component in AXS has its own battery to worry about.

Does mean you always have a spare as the rear always empties first and you can just swap them over…..

I’ve been on a few rides (last Sat was one) where someone’s Di2 randomly stopped working on their rear mech and they had to finish the ride with just the front mech….

walowiz

@stevextc

Have you been out on the road in the last however many years?

yes – couple of years ago and riding out in the countryside was a blast – I was slow to begin with, but loved it, took me right back to where I first started riding way way back. I was on the wrong type of bike, but it was fun. Wouldn’t swap it for mtb, but it was really enjoyable. Kind of peaceful, like long distance running.

@kelvin
    Haven’t been able to get near one yet (or see one either), but I’m definitely medium for the reach. All my bikes are medium.

@mert

Nope, endurance. They do a gravel version though, and a hardcore road version…

Which model is the gravel ? I know the Addict RC is the hardcore race model.

@monkeysfeet

Ha ha, no, absolutely not.

This relate to so is there anything same / better / there at Rutlands ?

I’m confident / positive I’ll be riding one way or another in the next 2-3 months. As otherwise all my mtbs would up for sale.

Dolan are new to me, will take a look. Last Tuono I rode was made by Aprilia, went like stink and wheelied with ease. miss that bike.
    Ribble
    Planet X I’ve had good and bad experiences, ti looks very shiny though.

walowiz

@footflaps that Orbea looks good, which model is it ?

footflaps

@footflaps that Orbea looks good, which model is it ?

Had to look that up, it’s a 2020 Orbea Orca OMX M21eLTD

7.1kg out the box….

kelvin

All my bikes are medium.

You’ve checked the actual reach on this model though, yes?

That Scott in 52 has a 387mm reach.

Some others mentioned in this thread…
    Dolan Tuono in Medium has a 380mm reach.
    Orbea Orca in 55 has a 388mm reach.

Like what I ride…
    Cotic Escapade in Medium/56 has a 383mm reach.

joebristol

Just for sizing I’m 5’9 with 32” leg / shorter arms. I’m on a Caad12 disc in 55cm size. 387mm reach according to geometry geeks. I’ve not changed whatever the standard stem / bars are and it’s been all good.

Edit – Just thinking about it is reach really relevant for road bikes as you’re sitting down a lot most of the time. Would have thought ett might be more relevant.

footflaps

Edit – Just thinking about it is reach really relevant for road bikes as you’re sitting down a lot most of the time. Would have thought ett might be more relevant.

That would be my thinking too. Very rarely stand up on my road bikes, so saddle to bars is the key thing for whether or not I’ll fit.

walowiz

never looked at Orbea for road / gravel bikes (and I’m still not entirely sure if the gravel option is worth doing, as if I’m going off road, then I take a mtb ?)

It’s only really going to be used on road.

Must say very tempted by the Orbea kit, there’s even an “e” option in budget. Ooooooh. Don’t think I hugely need it, but it’s tempting.

nice Orbea bikes

gingerflash

The Gravel version is a totally different bike, different frame, different wheels and components.

It’s also £2000 more expensive.

The Addict 10 is a straightforward pure road bike.

walowiz

@gingerflash I hadn’t realised there was another addict model range !

Looks pretty much the same as the road variant
    The gravel addict

w00dster

Be careful with internet sizing. I’m 5 foot 8 and love a small bike. My Addict was a 52 and my Supersix was a 51. We’re all different.
    Again we’re all different with our riding styles and what bikes fit us, but I’d be looking at a TCR, and being 5 foot 8 a size small. To the best spec that Rutland will offer.
    (Yep I’d had a TCR before and it’s pretty much the ultimate road bike in my view, a close second to the original rim brake Supersix)

matt_outandabout

Re Rutland.

I wouldn’t trust a thing they say. They point blank lied to me over warranty, twice. A third time I gave them opportunity to save face/back down from what they said. They tripled down on the lie.

A company I would never ever buy from again.

w00dster

Here’s my Rutland anecdote…..
    Went in to buy the new S Works SL7 Tarmac, had a big budget but at the least wanted to make sure it was right. They wouldn’t change the stem for me. I test rode a 52 it was too small, but I wanted to try it with a 110mm stem with a 380mm bar. They wouldn’t organise a test ride for me.
    In the end I went for a Project One Trek Emonda and didn’t regret it. Trek we’re very happy to let me test ride different combo’s.
    And the Rutland store knew me. They new the bikes I had as they had serviced them. No idea why they wouldn’t order in the larger bar/stem. I guess it was too much effort.

stevextc
    Free Member

walowiz

yes – couple of years ago and riding out in the countryside was a blast – I was slow to begin with, but loved it, took me right back to where I first started riding way way back. I was on the wrong type of bike, but it was fun. Wouldn’t swap it for mtb, but it was really enjoyable. Kind of peaceful, like long distance running.

Good for you… that was what I’d sorta expected but it just didn’t happen.
    It wasn’t unpleasant, it just didn’t feel fulfilling and I’ve never had the same switch-off cycling anything as long distance running ..
    Maybe I should try again sometime?

curto80
    Free Member

Feel your pain, had similar sorry with a focus izalco max. In the end found what I was looking for half the price on the second hand market, albeit the bike hadn’t been ridden so I got lucky. There are lots of addicts available second hand at the moment, some in very good nick, if you’re careful and selective.

akira

Orro gold STC etap is about the same price, relaxed geometry, doesn’t have the tidy cable routing but that’s sort of a blessing and in the real world.

walowiz

@w00dster

Be careful with internet sizing. I’m 5 foot 8 and love a small bike. My Addict was a 52 and my Supersix was a 51. We’re all different.
    Again we’re all different with our riding styles and what bikes fit us, but I’d be looking at a TCR, and being 5 foot 8 a size small. To the best spec that Rutland will offer.

TCR I had to google, assume you mean a Giant TCR ? Like this

footflaps

Be careful with internet sizing.

I just stick the new bike into one of the online bike geometry tools and then compare it to my existing bikes etc to figure out what size I want / how it differs.

I’m normally one or two sizes up from the simple height based size guides.

walowiz

@sillysilly

Start Fitness / Westbrook have in stock, not sure if your size. Looks very nice / decent spec for money.

quick update. Re-read the thread and looked at Westbrook, who I’ve bought from in the past and they have been superb, rang them, explained and they have reserved one they have in stock. Requested refund from Rutlands.

And interestingly, Westbrook aren’t the only bike shop to have them in stock, albeit in other very nice colours. So I’m none too sure why Rutlands don’t have any / can’t get any.

kelvin

Good news. Look forward to photos.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.