Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New bike or 2hand
  • cchris2lou

After years on 26inch wheels it is time to upgrade .

budget is aound 2000 euros, enduro type , 29er .

do I :

buy new , can get a good deal on a new Scott Genius 750 .equipment not great , 2 * 10 , wheels are 27.5+ but can take 29 .

buy second hand : could get a much nicer bike , but no warranty .

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m personally not too fussed about warranty – yeah if you’re that 1 in 1000 poor sod who ends up with a cracked frame it could be worth it’s weight in gold, but still.

Again personally I think a lot of S/H bikes are over priced, 2 year old bikes at 75% of what they cost new, well what they actually cost not RRP in September onwards don’t seem to be that unusual and you’re betting on them not needing a small pile of consumables and a service for shock / fork and you’re not far off what they would cost in a shop.

So I tend to look for good deals rather than new v SH.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

YT’s warranties (3 year) are transferable as far as I know,and they do a reasonably price 29er….. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cchris2lou

Yes, I have looked at YT.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

YT: the Capra is a great bike.
    At the moment: sold out?

Radon Swoop 170 might be interesting as well for you:
    http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/fullsuspension/swoop-170/swoop-170-70/

around 2 k
    review:
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/trail-enduro-bikes/radon-swoop-170.html

27.5 inch bike
    This forum: maybe search for “Swoop” if you like. Only remember positive posts about this Enduro.

cchris2lou

not bad those Radon .

and i ll be using euros ;

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you a small or a medium?

Discount Mega 290

You’ll want to replace the shock at some point, but it’s an enduro 29er with better geometry than most. And 2000 GBP is about the same as 2000 euros now innit?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The Swoop is a neat bike. Maybe even in winter sale right now?
    New: the Jab from Radon. Plastic version of the Swoop with reduced travel (think 160/160 ?).
    But price tag maybe twice the Swoop?
    Swoop 170/170: if for 2k available….. then the Swoop is hard to beat.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve bought two bikes recently; one new one second hand (both drop bars)

On the new one the cabling was poor, the levers needed moving & i didn’t like the bar shape. I’m going to have to spend out to replace cables & bar tape.

On the second hand one the cabling was poor, the levers needed moving and I didn’t like the bar shape. I’m going to have to spend out to replace cables & bar tape.

Moral of this story is buy a frame not a bike. 😉

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Swoop 200-8.0 is in sale right now!

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-swoop-200-8.0-583150?currency=1&delivery_country=190

2,116.64 € (instead 2,721.68 €)

That’s lower than the Swoop 170 !

For me: the Swoop 200 has way too much travel for me.
    More a downhill bike…
    The Swoop 170 will be more versatile / Enduro

jam-bo

Merlin had transition smugglers for less than 2k last week. I’d buy one of them

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m all for snagging a bargain but the OP wanted an enduro 29er, not a 650b DH bike.

Smuggler’s an excellent trail bike. Perhaps consider a secondhand Spesh Enduro 29er (and change the linkage), as there are loads of used ones about at fair prices.

mahalo

2nd hand for me, but only last years no older. people have usually swapped out the stock shit for better gear and you can haggle on price. definitely get more for your money and they are all invisiframed or similar these days…

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Commencal Enduro
    Meta AM V3 in sale right now:

https://www.commencal-store.com/meta-am-v3-650b-orange-2018-c2x23795151

1 999,00 €

Like most Commencal bikes (especially the hardtails and trail bikes).
    No idea how the Swoop 170 compares to the Meta AM V3. The Swoop 170 might be the better choice?
    No idea.

alexxx
    Free Member

Wouldnt get a commencal I’ve seen a lot crack all over the place. I would say second hand is better for your budget you just have to spend time looking for a bargain… not too hard, just dont rush buy anything unless its spot on.

29er Jeffsy would be good though. I have a Capra and it’s been around the world with me and ridden hard and it’s still in good fettle.

chestrockwell

I’d buy new at 2k. That’s a lot of money to spend on something that’s not new and there’s plenty of decent bikes for that price.

Oh, and new is nicer!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Wouldnt get a commencal I’ve seen a lot crack all over the place.

Commencal had cracking issues in the past. If this is still the case: alexxx-bloke is right. Better be carefully with Commencal then.

YT:
    Enduro, Capra: they had great winter deals. But right now nearly all CAPRA Enduro bikes sold out? Will there be a “new” Capra soon?

https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/shopware.php?sViewport=detail&sArticle=1263&sCategory=92
    1.7 k in sale, but only “medium size” available…
    (price for the “new 2018 Capra” = ?)

Trail, Jeffsy:
    29 inch, AL, 140/140
    https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail/index/sArticle/1929/sCategory/509
    2 k (with cheapest FOX fork)

Appears like they have a new batch available soon again.
    All sizes available from 24 January…

(Radon Swoop 170, if interest in AL Enduro: for me still an extremely good deal…)

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve had my Swoop 170 for about 6 months now and it’s superb! ride all over with it and it’s great, climbs well and flys down stuff.

can’t recommend them enough

The only thing i’ve changed on it are the tyres and the Fat Alberts that come on it are rubbish

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I’ve had my Swoop 170 for about 6 months now and it’s superb! ride all over with it and it’s great, climbs well and flys down stuff.

😉

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah the Commencials were 2017’s out of 5 riders 3 cracked 2 snapped

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yeah the Commencials were 2017’s out of 5 riders 3 cracked 2 snapped

Uuups. More than terrible!

Spec, geo and pricing always appeared to be great to me.

But with above info: no Commencal then…
    😥

russyh
    Free Member

YT’s warranties (3 year) are transferable as far as I know,and they do a reasonably price 29er…..

It’s original owner only I’m afraid.

honourablegeorge

Smuggler full bike at Merlin for 2k

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

from honourablegeorge :

Smuggler full bike at Merlin for 2k

https://www.merlincycles.com/transition-smuggler-mountain-bike-2017-106536.html

130/115 suspension trail bike

Neat!

cchris2lou

Too much choice really 😀

I think if I find the right deal on a 2nd hand Rallon or Specialized Enduro , that would be it.

bowglie

I’ve got a Spesh Enduro 29 frame for sale if you’re interested. Rides really well with the -10mm offset bottom bracket in there http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2016-specialized-enduro-29-frame-large

tjagain

2nd hand for me everytime. So much better value for money

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

YT carbons have a cracking reputation too. 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

I think with either it’s a matter of getting the right bike. I got a second hand bike recently, had been pretty well looked after and the bits of spec I would’ve changed had mostly been changed anyway, forks had been not terrible but not great, it had Pikes on, it had a spare rear shock etc. etc.

Anyway, spent £1k for a decent 140mm 29er trail bike. Since then the dropper post has gone and I’ve put a shorter stem on, total cost £110. I’ve changed tyres over too, but that’s the weather not the bike’s fault!

Edit – I did get lucky in that exactly the bike I was after was available at exactly the right time in my size. Whatever you do, don’t go for the wrong size – I have in the past and the bikes haven’t been “keepers”.

bowglie

Oh, P.S. if you do get a Spesh Enduro, I’d strongly recommend putting something like a new Lyric on there. The Pike is very good, but I’ve had a go on one equipped with a Lyric and if you like really letting the bike run on rougher descents, it really give it a monster truck attitude – don’t think there’s too much of a weight penalty either. Having said that, I’ve taken my Pike forked Enduro down some big Alpine descents and it’s been absolutely fine with a pair of decent stiff wheels.

This is the beauty of 2nd hand frame only buys – you can get the spec you want;)

cchris2lou

Nice frame but I need a médium.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

YT carbons have a cracking reputation too.

Mmmmhhh – frustrating news today…

But: met many YT bikers and saw them doing crazy, crazy stuff with their bikes. With aluminium and carbon. They all loved their bikes. Never heard of a “cracking reputation” in connection with YT.

Don’t own an YT. But always thought that these are really good bikes.

Tracey

Rutland Cycles are still selling the 2017 29 Carbon Enduro Elites with 36% off.

cchris2lou

Thanks Tracey, will have a look.

I am in France though so might not be practical to buy new abroad, ie warranty .

Tracey

We got a warranty sorted out in France through Specialized when my forks broke in Les Arcs. They organised for me to take them to a large bike shop in a town a couple of hours away. Was given a time to arrive and they were repaired whilst we went and had lunch.
    Couldnt have got better service.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Never heard of a “cracking reputation” in connection with YT.

I ride with two carbon Capra owners (2016 and 2017 IIRC). Both went back to YT with cracks. Not exactly conclusive, but fairly damning anecdotally.

One of the owners has since sold his 2016 model and bought a newer version – so far so good.

YT make well-designed, very well-spec’d frames, but I do wonder what their QC is like in Taiwan. There needs to be compromises somewhere to hit their price points. Personally I wouldn’t buy a one (they don’t seem to fit me) but if I were, I’d only buy an alloy one.

chestrockwell

Bikescene always seem to have offers on Specialized.

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/SPECIALIZEDCLEARANCEFRAMES-92.html

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Both went back to YT with cracks. Not exactly conclusive, but fairly damning anecdotally.

Mmmhhh.
    Amazing.
    Capra (Carbon), what I saw: these guys did 15 ft…20 ft jumps. Again and again. And the bikers weren’t that good that the landings were extremely smooth. The bikes weren’t brand new either.

Must be different Capra Carbon sleds around.
    😯

cchris2lou

ok , bit of an update and help required

I decided i want a Rallon , 2016 or 2017 . choice is

Rallon 2016 , Fox suspension , XT groupset , DT wheels , good used condition with new chain , cassette bearings etc… 1600 euros

or

Rallon 2017 , BOS suspensions , Sram transmission , XT brakes , better dt wheels , good used condition , but nothing has been done to it , 2100 euros .

i would change to xt transmission .

so which one ????

chestrockwell

Tbf they both seem quite expensive to me. Out of the two i’d get the cheaper but only because it has the gears you want and I wouldn’t pay 2k+ for second hand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New bike or 2hand’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts