Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Bike (No Garden Content/29er Inclusive)
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

22nd January 2013 by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

Following an unexpected call from Wheelbase I had to pop out to pick up my shiny new Whyte T129S in large (after being told they wouldn’t be in until early March).

The only downside is a lack of clearance for the Conti Mountain King 2.4s so I am searching for a slightly lower volume alternative… Hans Dampf??? As a result the Icon has gone back on the rear, but it is woefully inadequate for the current conditions!

It is absolutely lovely btw.

My garden is currently being redesigned so I borrowed Gummers Howe for the photographs today 😉 Sorry.

dmw536
    Free Member

The 2.35 Hans Dampf seems huge to me, I replaced my high roller 2.35 (that was a bit tight on clearence but perfectly useable) with a hans and it rubbed like a bitch, definitely more like a 2.4 although I have no experience of Contis so maybe they come up even bigger.
    Bike looks good even though not my cuppa tea personally.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That looks lovely..

wwaswas

That looks lovely..

+1

saw a review of one recently. For the money it looks like a bargain for what you get too.

Sam

If they don’t fit a MK 2.4 then a 2.1 from anyone else is probably the largest you’ll fit….

matt_outandabout

That is so on the wish list as a new bike. Lovely.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The 2.4 is one seriously voluminous tyre! The Ikon 2.2 has acres of space around it!

Kryton57

I was sold on a Spearfish until I saw this thread. Great for the money….

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Spearfish is rather nice, I was more looking at the Satori and Horse Thief myself, but they were just getting a bit too spendy for me!

Looking forward to getting a first proper ride in sometime this week.

nickhart
    Free Member

Hello capt.,can i ask a slightly left of centre question? which rear axle system is it? maxle fox/shimano ethru or dtswiss? don’t worry it’s not a perv thing it’s a business thing.
    cheers

oxym0r0n

+1 Looks really nice!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Maxel 142 * 12

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s just a shame it runs SRAM… If it’d got SLX on the other hand…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am liking the X9 mech/shifter combo myself. I switched over to SRAM anyway some years ago as I found it better than the equivalent Shimano. Things may have changed since mind (though I do still go with Shimano cranksets when I get the chance)

twoniner
    Free Member

Have you got out for a good ride on it yet? I have just bought one but changed a lot, brakes, bars, shifters and so on. The bars had to much of a backsweep for me. Ive not ridden mine in anger yet just up and down the street just for the initial set up.

I wanted to get rid of the QR seat collar for a non QR but the QR on this one is a strange set up.

Have you changed the rear tyre yet? I noticed there wasn’t much clearance I there and wondered what id get away with. been thinking Conti rubber queen up front and X King at rear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Bike (No Garden Content/29er Inclusive)’ is closed to new replies.