Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New bike (niche content)
  • Merak

Ive been hankering after an original Burner for a while. Spotted this one and thought it’d be worth the trip. 28 year old bikes don’t usually fare too well.

Its in amazing ‘survivor’ condition. The frame has only a couple of marks that I’ll touch in rather than paint or P/C. Like that patina originality.

So a real barn find, it must have been stored somewhere dry, result. It came up really well. The bars are needing some TLC where the brake levers have been slipping about.:(

The tyres are really badly perished so I’ll need new ones, shame. A light resto and it’ll be mustard. I’m thinking a layback post, Black Aeroyal saddle, new Decals bars restored, oh and some Odi mushrooms!

Putting aside the fact that they are tiny horribly impractical wee things and the braking performance being laughable/downright frightening. I’m going to enjoy this particular trip down nostalgia avenue.

I don’t remember them being so bad in the 80’s?

Resisting the urge to get a period number plate for it:)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In that condition, that’s either the find of the year, or a re-issue!

Gleaming!

Merak

Shit you not, genuine 80’s. :mrgreen:

seavers
    Free Member

I can’t believe how good nic that thing is in. I know nothing about BMX bikes let alone how to ride one but it’s bloody lovely. Hope you enjoy it.

Are the reflectors on the wheels massive or the wheels really small?!

tang
    Free Member

Holy shitola! That is sweeet. Burners are my short cut straight back to childhood, and that’s a good thing.

Merak

Im genuinely like a kid in a sweet shop. (Im 36 years old) 😳

bencooper
    Free Member

It has to be original – not even Raleigh would have the balls to put a frame out with welding that bad nowadays 😉

dannybgoode

Nice – was never allowed a BMX when I was a kid – my dad forced me to have a ‘proper’ bike.

Always wanted a Burner…

Cheers

Danny B

nickc

Look at the chain!!!

you sure that’s an original?

Merak

I spent a couple of hours giving it a birthday. It’s the real deal right enough. :mrgreen:

lex
    Free Member

carbospec 23?!!!

Soooooo much better than carbospec 21 or 22.

Nice.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not sure if it was a Raleigh, but the bike made from “Ferrocarbon Steel!” always impressed me.

godzilla
    Free Member

I had that exact bike, my mum has an old pic of me riding it round a field in the snow on christmas day.
    Them was tha days.

solarider
    Free Member

Single speed, oversized internal bb, riser bars. What’s so retro about that? It’s a bang up to date machine that is!

Quite a find. And carbospec 23 tubing to boot! Lex – it was never as good as carbospec 24 though.

Looks like a hoot, but at 6ft 2, I think my BMX days might be long behind me. Surely it’s a keeper.

What exactly did the Mag in Mag Burner stand for since the tubing is steel and the wheels look plastic?

You need a more period-correct method of attaching the rear brake cable though. Not sure plastic zip ties had been invented when that one rolled off the production line in Nottingham.

takisawa2

mag wheels man, it’s for the Skyway mag wheels.

Black Skyways…mmmmm.
    I have a pair of original Suntour coaster brake ones hanging in the garage. Plan is to put them on the late 90’s GT Performer…that’s also hanging in the garage
    🙂
    Life is just one project after another. 🙂

Op, that really is gorgeous. 😉

Stevelol
    Free Member

That looks really cool

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New bike (niche content)’ is closed to new replies.