Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • New bike itch – which 650b enduro for around or less than £4k?
  • selaciosa
    Free Member

Currently thinking…

GT Force Pro
    Santa Cruz Bronson – would have to be lower spec
    Nukeproof Mega
    Saracen Ariel 152
    Orange 5

But then I really love the Commencal Meta SX which is a 26er. 26 aint dead right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In my general opinion the most important thing is the frame, most of the other bits can be upgraded over time. Get out and try some! I know Santa Cruz & Orange are easy to demo, no idea about the mega.

slackalice
    Free Member
    kristoff
    Free Member

If you test a bronson and like it I managed to get my bronson c with kashima shock, xt group, hope/flows, reverb, pikes, renthal bar/stem for £4.6k.

All it took was a little shopping around 🙂

pinetree
    Free Member

Turner Burner?

Complete bike comes in under £4k.

stevied
    Free Member

What about one of these: Intense Tracer 275

sumomatt
    Free Member

On all of these “new enduro bike needed” threads, there is always one bike overlooked. The Cube Stereo Super HPC 160 (650b) / 140 (29er).

Don’t know why it’s always ignored, full carbon, long travel, well specced bike, that’s rides amazingly for a fraction of the price of an equivalent Yeti or SC!!

In SL spec comes in around 12kg, SLT sub 10kg!

Don’t dismiss it, demo one, you won’t be disappointed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you racing? Where are you going to ride it? Do you like carbon? Do you value light weight?

coogan
    Free Member

Mojo 650B HDR also.

xterramac
    Free Member

Merida forty 1 b, looks a good deal at 3k????

honourablegeorge

sumomatt – Member

In SL spec comes in around 12kg, SLT sub 10kg!

10kg = 22lb.

*dubious*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also throw in the Rocky Mountain Altitude, very nice bike

sumomatt
    Free Member

Sorry was out by 1kg

Color Zeroblack
    Frame Super HPC Monocoque Advanced Twin Mold Technology, ARG, ETC 4-Link, AXH
    Size 16″, 18″, 20″, 22
    Fork Fox 34 Float 27.5 CTD Adjust FIT, tapered, 15QR, Kashima coated, 160mm
    Rear Shock Fox Float CTD Adjust BoostValve, 216x64mm, Climb/Trail/Descend mode, Trail mode adjustable, Kashima coated, LV air canister
    Headset FSA Orbit I-t integrated, top 1 1/8″, bottom 1 1/2
    Stem Syntace Megaforce 2, 31.8mm
    Handlebar Syntace Vector Carbon, 740mm
    Grips CUBE Race Grip, 1-clamp
    Rear Derailleur Sram XX1 11-speed
    Shifters Sram XX1 Trigger, 11-speed
    Brake system Formula R1Racing hydr. Discbrake (180/180mm), Titanium hardware, tool-free contact adjust
    Crankset Race Face Next SL DM Carbon 34T, 175mm, Oversized Aluminum axle
    Wheelset DT CSW EM 3.7 straightpull wheelset, 28/28 spokes, 15QR/X12, 584x25C tubeless ready, DT SWISS Pro Head® Reinforcement System, Squorx® alloy nipples
    Front tire Schwalbe Hans Dampf Kevlar, TrailStar, SnakeSkin, 2.35
    Rear tire Schwalbe Hans Dampf Kevlar, PaceStar, SnakeSkin, 2.35
    Seat Fi`zi:k Gobi Carbon braided
    Seatpost Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 31.6mm, 125mm adjustable seatpost, internal routing
    Seatclamp CUBE Screwlock 34.9mm
    Shock hardware top: 30x8mm, bottom: 22x8mm
    Weight 10,9 kg

If I were spending £4k (which I probably will on my next bike), I’d still be avoiding anything with Fox CTD at the moment 🙄

*edit – although, I do like the Cube Stereo

adrec
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to go for the heckler over the Bronson. I’m looking at a heckler with x fusion sweeps, hope hoops, Slx group and a reverb for about 3k with bits from Merlin, chainreaction etc. I’d build it myself as the build kits from Santa Cruz don’t offer particularly good vfm. If your looking to spend 4k you could go for 1×11 group and possibly pikes if you wanted them. That would make for a very bling build!

I’d be tempted to find another £600….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

In no particular order for Enduro and down:

Cube Stereo 160
    Spicy/Zesty
    Bronson
    Stumpy

must have 1 x 11

Currently Bronson and Zesty lead my selection but leaning to Zesty. Got a demo ride on Bronson so that will decide the issue (I hope).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

But the stumpy is a great ride too. Demoed one few years ago but went for a Zesty. Spesh just seemed a bit dull on the trails. That’s a very subjective opinion I know. Maybe I should revisit it? Any demos?

emmodd
    Free Member

New YT Industries bike? I’ve got the cheaper ’13 wicked 650b and it very good vfm

maxtorque

I assume this thread is like all those classic car programs where the presenters listen intently to that weeks buyer, who says, “ah, and i can’t spend any more than £10k” and immediately recommend a £15k car.

And so in that vein, hows about the 2014 Team Spicy?

😉

I think they should have hung some onions off the front of that Lappy to make it look a bit more French

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that a pile of shiney electric gubbins ready to die in the british weather I see strapped to it 😉

campfreddie
    Free Member

Liteville 301 frame (650b) set up
    R/S Pikes
    Hope Pro 2 Evo (40t engagement) on Arch EX or Flow EX
    Your choice of groupset mix (maybe Zee/XT/RF Narrow/Wide plus Zee brakes)
    Reverb stealth
    etc etc

all do’able for that sort of money with a bit of ingenuity and effort

maxtorque

Typical Lapierre rider, pictured earlier:

😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

You know something is wrong when you find this

‘Santa Cruz Bronson – would have to be lower spec’

in a thread about what 4 k bike to buy…..

Prices are just madness.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and specialized charge £3k for this

stewartc
    Free Member

Friends who have the Bronson C rave about it, but I would be a little hesitant based on the price they paid for their XX1 blinged bikes, they are a tadge expensive for an admittedly very good bike, having had the chance to ride them on a few occasions.
    Just put down a deposit on a Giant Trance Advanced SX myself, came to around 3050GBP even with a pretty good spec, very happy, guessing it would cost a bit more in the UK but not that much?

With a Float X CTD shock (very good,got one on my SBB66c now), Fox Talas fork, a stealthy dropper and X01 it looks like it will do the job.

granny_ring

As others have said, if I was spending that much on a bike I’d want to demo loads first, so try as many as you can then go from there.

crush83
    Free Member

Knolly warden

That is all.

deviant
    Free Member

I’d get the Nukeproof Mega TR, plenty of travel up front and a nice taut 130mm back end…if you must have 150mm at each end get the AM version.

AlexSimon

Just to randomly add some more to the list.

Kona Process (seems to be universally loved but not amazing components for the money)

Banshee Spitfire (not the best pedalling but otherwise look great)

beagle
    Free Member

Aye. Knolly Warden.

AlexSimon

For me, if I was spending 4k, I wouldn’t want a ‘model year’ bike, because I would be keeping it for 4 or more years.
    So I would probably stick to companies that release bikes when they’ve got something worth changing, rather than every year.

righog
    Free Member

I would not buy a 4K bike off the shelf again, I would go down the frame and components route, so there would be no compromises, and make sure the boring stuff like BB and headset were top notch as well as the blingy bits.

As Alex said I would also be looking for a frame that had shown it had no issues,so not the latest model unless you were planning to change every year.

cb

That Focus SAM looked pretty decent to me…and within budget!

Clover

Just had a weekend on a Saracen Kili Flyer & it flew very enjoyably. They do a longer travel bike too, both around 3.2 k.

Crell
    Free Member

campfreddie – Member
    Liteville 301 frame (650b) set up
    R/S Pikes
    Hope Pro 2 Evo (40t engagement) on Arch EX or Flow EX
    Your choice of groupset mix (maybe Zee/XT/RF Narrow/Wide plus Zee brakes)
    Reverb stealth
    etc etc

all do’able for that sort of money with a bit of ingenuity and effort

Funny you should say that:

Mk11 301
    26 Pikes (though just received the 29s by mistake)
    XX1 Groupset (Crank, ring, chain, shifter, rear mech
    Stealth reverb with the connectamajig
    40t Hope hoops with Arch EXs
    Hope Ceramic BB & GXP converter
    Hope MMX thing
    Easton Carbon bars & stem
    XTR trail pedals

Cost me £3520 excluding brakes (which I already had)after some judicious “bargain” hunting.

cultsdave
    Free Member

This is what u want.http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Orbea-Rallon-First-Look-2013.html
    I went for the base model and upspecced it to a good level for much less than 4k

lilbare88
    Free Member

I’d say Spicy, but that’s because I’ve got a 527. Get a good deal and put a grand in the bank. Or my other serious contender was the Cube Frittz HPA TM, lot of high end kit on that and still way under your 4k.

asterix
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘New bike itch – which 650b enduro for around or less than £4k?’ is closed to new replies.