New 'bike friendly' pub in Bath-locals advice pls

Home Forum Bike Forum New 'bike friendly' pub in Bath-locals advice pls

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New 'bike friendly' pub in Bath-locals advice pls
  • thepublican

So I’ve just re-opened & refurbished the Kings Arms on Monmouth place in Bath… what can I do to make it uber cyclist friendly?

We have a covered cobbled courtyard, sell locally roasted coffee, muddy gear/lycra welcome… bike racks? Discounts?

And who are the local clubs/people to know? Any advice very much appreciated… πŸ™‚

https://www.facebook.com/kingsarmsbath

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

sell up and move to worcestershire *selfish*

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Ooh nice! What ales have you got on tap?

Kitz_Chris

Get the Bath Uni CC guys to have their socials in your place. They often do evening runs followed by a quick pint. Sure you can find their details on facebook.

eskay

Not sure if it still happens but the local clubs used to have roller racing in pubs during the winter, resurrect that.

Get some secure bike storage as well!

xiphon

Talk to STW/MBUK/MBR/etc about subscriber discounts.

They might even do an article on you for being a “rider owned pub” πŸ˜‰

eskay

Local clubs

Bath cc
    Vc walcott
    Speak to the boys at cadence shop as well

winston_dog

That looks great. Pub dog as well, they should be a legal requirement.

I miss living in the SW!

Good luck!

thepublican

Ale policy is somerset/local with the odd national guest: this week it’s from bristol beer factory nova, bath ales gem, blindmans brewery, box steam brewery, abbey ales bellringer, milk street brewer in frome, plus a couple of others early next week. There’s cask cider too.

thepublican

Thanks for all the info guys regarding clubs, I’ll get to work on google!

I was thinking a bike rack bolted to the wall with decent locks that you get the key from behind the bar for when you buy a pint/coffee etc…??

winston_dog

Bath Ales Gem is fantastic. πŸ˜€ Could do with a few just now!

bonchance

good luck! Marking yourself out might help?

Suggestions: Hang a (genuinely) interesting or vintage bike on a wall or adapted as display might generate a bit of local chat – Chain a track pump/tools to the wall outside?

See mud-dock upstairs in Bristol (bit extreme I know as it’s a bike shop, but upstairs is bona-fide cafe/bar!) or that bar/cafe in London (forget the name)..

Maybe a wordpress or simple site for browsers as well – FB is not for everyone πŸ™‚

thepublican

thanks bonchance

like the track pump idea.. was thinking of putting a vintage klein frame I have in an ornithological case on the wall funnily enough?!

Oh, and we have a website, with more info (menu/etc) coming later in the week.

http://thekingsarmsbath.com/

niksnr

I’m coming to Bath on 6th to get dragged round the shops by the missus. Staying at my Aunts. Could escape for a pint under the pretence that I’m buying the wife a present!

jekkyl

A Raleigh chopper on the wall would look good and be interesting to those who are not bike mad. Bet you could get loads of old tdf bumpf to decorate the place with. Maps of trail centres etc. My mum lives in bath so I’ll pop in next time I’m down that way.

Philby

It would be worthwhile promoting it to Bristol riders / clubs. Perhaps some promotional material on the Bristol-Bath cyclepath would create awareness.

I would certainly seek out somewhere which is bike friendly in Bath for lunch after cycling from Bristol.

Gilles

Looks like it’s on the way to Lansdown,sure a detour is worth it.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

I’ve got a few friends in Bath, keen cyclists, like ale, ride with a mtb club. Two of them have run, are running a hotel-bar. One of them’s a marketing manager for Bath tourism, I’ll mail her a link to this. She’s more of a cider girl, though! You got much of that on?

thepublican

ned-we have 1 cask & 2 draft ciders plus more ciders in the fridge.

Thanks for bath tourism nudging…
    πŸ™‚

thepublican

philby-cheers chap, I hadn’t thought of some promo stuff on the bike path, good sideways thinking!

Edric 64

SomerValley C C in Radstock are local .Dont forget to advertise on the 2 tunnels greenway as well

Edric 64

If you have just opened do you need a window cleaner ? (blatant tout for business!!)

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Our village pub used to let us use the hose he used for the hanging baskets to hose down bikes/shoes in the rear courtyard.

Was a great idea except we wilted his drain up 😳

thepublican

Edric, maybe need a window cleaner when the upstairs accommodation is developed (there are 8 rooms that are being refurbished to quality boutique standard).

Drop in a business card when you have a pint!

Edric 64

Ok will do !!

bonchance

nowt to do with bikes, but if you have a courtyard, IR lamps and booths/bays with some glazing over could develop a real following.

Popular in the extreme with smokers and non-smokers alike..

Take a look at the business the Highbury vaults in Bristol does (by the Uni).

Edric 64

The Highbury has been excellent since I was in my teens in the 80s

thepublican

That’s a good heads up bonchance, I’ll investigate the highbury vaults at the weekend (the hardship of claimable market research!). We have about 2/3rds of the courtyard covered already, and although the thought of my electricity bill terrify’s me I’d pondered outdoor heating…

Anna B

That looks lovely. I’ll come for a drink next time I’m in Bath.

bonchance

Prince of Wales on Gloucester road (just up from the arches) is another mobbed back yard. Highbury does it best I would say though πŸ™‚ ..

Fuzzyfelt

Looks good – I’m in the office on the corner of Charles St/Monmouth St.
    Will have to venture further than the Griffin (opposite!)

winch

Change the name of the place to something cycling related. I like “Over the bars”

DanW

Bath features in lots of ride maps/ routes given the Bristol bike path, canal paths and reasonably quiet lanes- if you can get a mention in anything like that or in the Bath Cycle week for example that should help bring in the out of towners.

Within Bath there are 2 MTB Wed night rides, the uni club and dozens of road rides so getting in with the clubs and shops within Bath should spread the word.

Main thing I’d say is let as many people know who you are and where you are. Awareness is your main battle I’d say (assuming the pub is nice once actually in there πŸ˜€ )

orange16

Ex Bathonian, used to drink in old Kinger when lived around the corner, but mainly walcot where there were some bike fiends working in the Hat and Bell …. Will re visit in next fortnight. Secure loops to lock bikes to outside with CCTV as deterent, target local cycling groups/shops, invite journo’s from Future publishing for photo-shoot. get loads of bike memorabilia on walls – have source if it helps? Decent coffee during the day, quality ales at night. Word of mouth is what Bath is all about. Good luck

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

How about bike film nights and Belgian beers, an ever-changing selection of single malts for the winter night-riders, good ‘fast’ food (simple pasta or baked-spud based) and an outdoor heater/kit drier : )

Bath Ales

Edit – forget the Belgian beers.
    And I always liked going into bars in Europe and seeing an old TDF KOM jersey or similar on the wall, sometimes the barman would say it was a local chap’s or his son etc. Do you know any good local racers?

UrbanHiker

It may not be traditional pub territory, but I’d be aiming to get customers in all day. Especially on the weekend, open early and get the breakfast, coffee punters in. Many of these will be bikers after early morning rides etc.

Are you local, do you know the local competition? I’d be looking at poaching from the cafe’s on Chelsea rd, the Velo Lounge on Moreland rd, and the Society Cafe, in town.

Bath doesn’t have that many decent pubs with outside space, its a good asset so worth making the most of.

Good luck.

edlong

That’s a good heads up bonchance, I’ll investigate the highbury vaults at the weekend (the hardship of claimable market research!). We have about 2/3rds of the courtyard covered already, and although the thought of my electricity bill terrify’s me I’d pondered outdoor heating…

Possible downside – you’ll alienate that section of the cycling community who are attracted by the eco-credentials of it (cycling) as a form of transport – heating the outside air being something they will frown upon more than a little.

bonchance
    Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

I rather enjoy a bimble down the railway path, sink a few pints in Bath and then get the train home. So +1 for marketing yourself in bristol.

DanW

Good point on marketing outside of Bath? Maybe Bradford on Avon (and that direction) could be another place to spread the word with people riding in from that direction along the canal?

Maybe get in touch with some of the other pubs along the route in addition to bike shops/ clubs as some people might start with a coffee in Bradford on Avon then ride to Bath for lunch and back or similar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New 'bike friendly' pub in Bath-locals advice pls’ is closed to new replies.