Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Bike For Other Half
  • WoodenOne
    Free Member

Just been to follow the dog at Cannock with my girlfriend, after hiring a bike she thankfully decided she enjoys mtb’ing. So I’ll now be looking at building her a hardtail, any suggestions. I have thought of either an On-One or a Voodoo Scabo (as its on offer at Sideways), any other suggestions?

flamejob
    Free Member

Build her the lightest longest travel full sus you can get your hands on.
    Mrs Flamejob went from riding a hardtail for 6 months to an Orange 5 with Revelations and adores the 5.

IMO the ‘skill compensatorness’ of the 5 boosted her confidence quickly to a level where she was storming singletrack descents and keeping up with group rides rather than struggling.

What do you ride?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Merlin Have got some good offers on this weekend …could be worth a look, small sizes too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Women shouldn’t be allowed to ride bikes, certainly not ‘in the mountains’ anyways…

Unless of course they are extremely attractive and I have NEVER seen an attractive woman riding an mtb

Bunnyhop

I’m a fan of the one on, having a 14″ frame for my 5’4″, height. It’s light and nicknamed the nountain goat. Also a fan of Kona’s.

Agree totally with flamejob about the lightness issue.
    Other things to consider are a ladies saddle, padded shorts and lots of encouragement from you.
    Or just throw her in at the deep end ( which is what happened to me).

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get her the newest MBUK-recommended rig there is. Ignore the weight, price and style as long as Doddy says it’s fine. Like this:

flamejob
    Free Member

To add to what bunnyhop said:

Small grips and wound in brake levers help too.

Bunnyhop

That’s ugly

Filthy
    Free Member

How about a nice stumpjumper hardtail frame, this is my wifes old frame on ebay…

Blatant Plug

Rex
    Free Member

Light and long travel full suss? – I’ve an 08 women’s giant cypher going for £800 if you’re interested…

Otherwise, On-ones and kona’s have always been cool for Mrs Rex, but on-one particularly have long reach, so need short stems and high rise bars.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I put together a merlin malt for mrs JB (thanks to classifieds on here), with recons/deore. lovely bike, I wish it was my size. Hannah loves it too and has given it a pet name. comes in around 25lbs I reckon.

merlins are fantastic imho

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I put together a merlin malt for mrs JB (thanks to classifieds on here), with recons/deore. lovely bike, I wish it was my size. Hannah loves it too and has given it a pet name. comes in around 25lbs I reckon.

merlins are fantastic imho

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Nugget is selling a Speccy Myka disc 15″ on the classifieds here, and its in mint condition 🙂

SSP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Bike For Other Half’ is closed to new replies.