Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Bike – Finally Found the GSpot
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

So, usual things, it’s not my house, it’s not my garden/beach, I’ve got a new stem comming so hoses aren’t cut / steerer isn’t trimmed.

I’m liking it a lot so far. It’s 35-36lbs, so about a pound heavier than my Hustler with similar build, but the Gspot climbs a lot better. I’ve got heavy tyres on just now, so it’ll drop a fair bit of weight with my normal singleply minions / advantage combo. It’s a lot of fun going down, it feels more like my STD than my Hustler. If you’re interested in the full spec and some words then it’s on my site, Cove GSpot Initial Review bear in mind that I’m in the grip of new bike love though 🙂 It’s really hard to write a bike review, no matter how basic, hats off to anyone who has to do that for their job… trying to write anything more than it goes up/down well and I like it.

neilforrow

ass-hole. I have been lusting over one of these for a while, I have been thinking… keep the c456, sell the hustler and astrix and get one of those for the big days out and occasional uplift…. and you beat me to it…

hummmmmmmm…

backhander
    Free Member

Tis a handsome beast.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a hell of a lot better looking than the previous model! 35lbs is a whole lotta weight though…

doug_basqueMTB.com

neil, thanks 🙂 I’ve come from a Hustler, the Gspot is a different beast. Faster up and as for down… something different.

Loddrik, that’s built up with Vans, big brakes, 823, DH tyres, saint cranks… my Hustler was only a pound lighter. I build stuff up fairly heavy because I’ve learnt that lightweight stuff just doesn’t last for me with the miles I’m doing.

Anyone is welcome to have a spin on it if they’re out here, maybe a bit far though. I guess Basecamp bikes have a demo too, at Laggan.

jimmy

Nice that, Doug. Whats the travel on it? S’pose I could look myself really… 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

Been thinking about a Hustler myself…. you got an old medium lying around now that needs to come back to Scotland? 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Jimmy, it’s 150mm at the back. I don’t think it’s really a bike to think of as a 150mm trail bike though, rides like it’s packing a bigger punch if you know what I mean.

Mark, I’ll drop you a mail. That Hustler has been through a lot though!

carbon337
    Free Member

That looks ace

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Cracking. Make sure you helitape those stickers!

jools182
    Free Member

Is there much difference between the 2010 and 2011 model?

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

welcome to the club, i picked mine up on New Years day and haven’t stopped smiling, if all goes well with a sale in the classifieds i’ll be purchasing Cane Creek Double Barrel for it on the weekend. I’ve ridden it all over the north east, Hamsterley downhill, Silton Woods, Thrunton, Chopwell and did an uplift day at Cwmcarn in South Wales its absolutely mint. Taking it to iinerliethen on Saturday can’t wait

If i wasn’t such a knacker with IT i’d post pics of it

carbon337
    Free Member

vb123 – how was it at thrunton. they’re my local woods.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I honestly don’t know if there’s much difference from 2010. There’s loads of helitape on it, I thought I’d try and keep something shiny for a bit.
    Valleyboy, it’s great isn’t it? To be honest I was feeling a bit sort of blase about it, I ride bikes a lot and was feeling a bit ‘it’s just a bike’… until I rode it. Totally blown away by how it rides.

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

we did Pink Panther and Helter Skelter, up there last Saturday ground was a little bit clergy but the bike was ace, a few of my mates were on “full on” downhill bike, didn’t fell “underbiked” at all, it was faultless over all the drops and sucked up all the roots, first time i’ve ridden up there and really enjoyed it.

Cheers
    Nick

jedi

i tried the gspot but didnt like it. a pound lighter than the hustler??

doug_basqueMTB.com

jedi, the Gspot is a pound heavier. I guess you’re doing a bit different riding than I am! What didn’t you like about it?

jedi

felt less burly than the bottlerocket ( i bought my original one from bigl who got a gspot in its place ) higher bb and longer cockpit

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

the only issue i have is the seat post is an odd size, 30.0mm, can’t get a dropable seatpost

jedi

yeah same as a bottlerocket

doug_basqueMTB.com

Is the bottlerocket shorter than the gspot? Wow, ‘cos the gspot feels short and is slightly shorter than my hustler in top tube, and that was short. BB feels fine to me but I could never get on with a very low bb out here. I’ve never ridden a bottlerocket but considered one, test riding was never an option for me out here. What swung it for the gspot was how well I thought it would pedal based on lots of riding the STD. It’s certainly burly enough for the riding I’m doing. Horses for courses though and we’re doing pretty different riding. Glad you’re enjoying the bottlerocket, they look great.

The seatpost is a strange one. Suits me ‘cos I don’t like posh posts but must be a problem if you’re keen on them.

sharki
    Free Member

Likes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – Finally Found the GSpot’ is closed to new replies.