Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • New bike deal-breakers
  • bigdean

Bottle cage mounts. No mounts no deal.

loddrik
    Free Member

Any frame that isn’t a Maverick, sold my last Maverick, played musical frames trying to get something that came close, intense, nicolai, yeti, Ellsworth, now back to another maverick as its the only frame I know I love. A lesson learned…

Another vote for Avid brakes, they’re shite.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I have two bikes.
    One has a pressfit bb which is playing up and has been a complete pain.
    The other has internally routed gear cables. The gears will not stay indexed and my research suggests this is a feature of – the internally routed cables (I haven’t fixed the problem yet so I can’t confirm this is the cause).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eggshellblonde
    Free Member

parkesie – Member

If i was haunted.
    Dont think id buy a haunted bike

Dead man’s bike.

Seat always cold

Carbis

Those Alpinestars Cro Mega used to fail at the weld of the seatstay and the chainstay – One of my uni friends had a couple, looked great in the flesh at the time with the classic smoke dart combination in skin walls.

I wouldn’t buy a bike with the following;
    SRAM gears
    Internally routed brakes
    Single pivot suspension
    QR Fork
    No gears (I’m not fit enough)

chiefgrooveguru

On a slight tangent, I wold be most impressed with a bike manufacturer that invested a tiny bit in supplying with the bike a spare hanger…

Instead of having a normal mech hanger Liteville use a stronger one and it attaches with a sacrificial bolt, and there is a spare bolt screwed into the frame (out of sight).

nikk
    Free Member

Does anyone else find this thread depressing? A lot of conservative opinionism I think 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Crap suspension. So long as the frame /forks are good, everything else can be sorted. That being said I probably wouldn’t buy a complete bike, I prefer building mine up from parts and getting exactly what I want.

RustySpanner

nikk – Member

Does anyone else find this thread depressing? A lot of conservative opinionism I think

No, I think it’s superb.

Shows that people can tell genuine innovations that have improved the way we ride from pointless marketing driven toss.

Quite restored my faith.

tomhoward

Nikk +1

I_Ache
    Free Member

In all seriousness if I liked the way a bike rode, if it was priced reasonably and wasn’t stupidly heavy/light. I don’t think there is anything that would be a deal breaker.

Well maybe if it had crank brothers wheels or dropper. But I would ask the shop to swap those out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not depressing, seeing a lot of hate for SRAM gears which is fine, all the more for me.

I’ll take CB’s pedals all the time too just pedals never come specced on a proper bike

Mostly it just tells me why buying a fully built bike can be a false economy. When people knock brands for selling £6k bikes but in reality to get what they want it will cost that to swap out all the cheap accountant specced parts.

remoterob
    Free Member

Bikes with “funny” names that aren’t made by Kona.

Andy

Yup any thing Sram except for rockshok forks. Avid, Truvative, Sram are all shite IMO.

BB91/2; cant even fit an adaptor to fit a square taper bb and chainset – ie bb that will last a decade.

Lifeless CEN steel frames.

Any headtube standard that’s not 44mm or standard 1 1/8″. Don’t understand why any 51/56/86mm headtubes are needed.

Any thing other than 31.8mm bars – do we really need another standard.

colournoise

This thread is why I have never bought a ‘built’ bike. Did get a Spesh Hardrock for my wife but all that’s left of that now is the frame, seatpost, stem and bars.

FWIW stuff I wouldn’t spec on a build – Shimano gearing (I just like the SRAM ‘clunk’), a non-Reverb dropper, Fox forks (irrational…), a stem longer than 70mm (50mm is ideal), or non lock-on grips.

nikk
    Free Member

Shows that people can tell genuine innovations that have improved the way we ride from pointless marketing driven toss.

750mm bars?

Anyway, how did we get from:

To:

if it wasn’t by a whole series of people, over many years, sticking their neck out and making something new, something that perhaps not everyone will accept at the time.

Sure, some of it was / will turn out to be rubbish. But for Darwinism to work, you need enough stuff in the gene pool in the first place. How can we make a selection when the choice is 1?

loddrik
    Free Member

With the increase in wheel size and reduction in gear ratios, looks like we’re heading back towards the top pic anyway.

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh, the top bike is probably what the STW groupthink would come up with as the perfect bike 🙂

remoterob
    Free Member

That bike is definitely haunted.

And made by Jeff Jones.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nikk – Member – Quote
    750mm bars?

I said MINIMUM 750mm!!!
    I have broad shoulders

My general impression of STW designing a bike would involve 60degree head angles, 1 fat & 1 skinny wheel with the other one being in between. 26/29″ single/multi pivot suspension rigid on one side and 100mm & 160mm on the others running a hub geared single 30speed setup with no mechs & 2 all wrapped up into one mad package.

2am Chanel 5 (or lower free to air satellite channel) Build YOur Dream Bike, members of an internet forum get to design their own perfect bike with help from expert frame builders.
    Episode 1 – the expert frame builders walk out in protest

timbo678
    Free Member

I’m depressed now…my bike has fox forks, press fit bb, internal routing, 650b & made from carbon! No avid or SRAM though

deal breaker was that it must be 150 mm plus travel & stiffer forks than 32s

b45her
    Free Member

so much fashionable hate of avid brakes, if you know how to bleed them properly they are utterly reliable and more powerful than lots of more trendy stoppers the X0 trail brakes i have make xt brakes feel like rim brakes that have just been ridden through a muddy puddle, ditto for sram, X9 and X0 stuff is superb. most CB stuff is total gash though.

mt
    Free Member

i am not buying another mtb frame until the wheel size business is sorted.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t buy complete bikes because I like what I like and not many bikes come with the combos I want.

With regards to the spare hanger thing, my Banshee frame came with one. And some big stickers!

I’m a big fan of Sram gears because I like the clunk. It also means much easier to set up and doesn’t get too affected by mud and cable stretch. I ripped a bike with the latest XT stuff on it and the shifting action was too light for me. My old X0 on the BFe has a lovely clunky, definitive action.

I can’t really comment on Avid brakes because I’ve never had them, but I do remember when they could do no wrong. I like Shimano brakes so will keep using them.

I also like my Fox forks. I’ve had three pairs of coil ones and they’ve all been faultless. I’d much rather them than RS which I just don’t like the feel of (and I’ve never forgiven them for the Pyslo).

I can see how internally routed cables would be a pain, but have never had a bike with them.

kudos100
    Free Member

Most have been mentioned, but one that really gets my goat is proprietary shocks. A custom tune is required, but why the need to make them an odd size?

Specialized are the worst for this. It’s not like they are using their own shock, make them a common size you muppets!

I can’t think of a bike from any of the big manufacturers that gets everything right.

Specialized with the shocks, giant with overdrive headset bollocks and lack of iscg, cannondale with integrated headsets, trek with their daft drcv shock.

And now the all singing all dancing 650b………

chakaping
    Free Member

Some good deal-breakers that I hadn;t considered on here. My list is getting longer.

Why bike companies don’t put cable rub protection on frames baffles me, especially on expensive carbon MTB frames which are prone to abrasion. Wouldn’t be surprised if we do start to see it in a year or two maybe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With regards to the spare hanger thing, my Banshee frame came with one. And some big stickers!

My ltc came up stickers, hanger, grease gun & T-shirt, the missus got all that and socks with hers!!

kimbers

b45her – Member
    so much fashionable hate of avid brakes, if you know how to bleed them properly they are utterly reliable

really?, in the alps last year one of us had elixirs (he was quite a big chap) and they were useless, we were staying with a former sram technician who said the same thing – rebled them several times eventually someone lent his a crappy hayes brake, it was less powerful but they didnt stop working half way down the mountain

mindmap3
    Free Member

My ltc came up stickers, hanger, grease gun & T-shirt, the missus got all that and socks with hers!!

It probably costs the companies peanuts to do, but I like it. The box of bits was a post, seat clamp, flip chips for fiddling with the angles, spare hanger, massive bundle of zip ties and stickers. Others frames I’ve bought have cone with sweet FA.

I forgot to add in the silly shocks Spesh spec. The new Pivot DH bike uses a similar wishbone thing to drive the shock but rather than attach directly to the shock, its got a bolt so you’re not restricted. Spesh are bad for using silly sized shocks too which makes it impossible to find a new one ( a la my SX Trail).

toys19
    Free Member

I love avid brakes and fox forx.
    Also what exactly is the problem with press fit bb’s?

Kryton57

The price. Other than the OO El Guapo, and out of the box trail machine seems to RRP at £2500 – £2700 these days, with an OEM fork and SLX. And even then you’d be lucky to get one sub 30lb.

Whatever happened to the £1800 27lb do it all bikes*?

*inflation I know,

chakaping
    Free Member

Also what exactly is the problem with press fit bb’s?

questionable longevity

difficult to swap over at home

can’t clamp a chain device with one if your frame has no iscg mounts (or if the ISCG bolts foul your chainring anyway)

mrmoofo

It being orange in colour
    Being aluminium
    Having a history of frame breakages
    Raceface cranks – they squeak and fall off …
    Continental tyres – if I am being fussy

mindmap3
    Free Member

All of my Race Face cranks have been great with the exception if my Deus XC cranks that did have a habit of going a bit wobbly. I never have issues with Shimano cranks aside from the price these days…I can’t get my head round XT cranks with an rrp of two hundred quid. More than decent RF cranks which I’ve always seen as a bit more exotic but that may be because I’m stuck in the late nineties!

I guess Manitou suspension would be a no no for me. SPV damping was evil.

Cheapo Conti tyres are the devils work too…the lack of grip is bordering in dangerous.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wish I knew enough about MTBs to understand and contribute to this thread. Only owned one bike – good old trek HT. Clean it, maintain it and repair it as necessary. Then just ride it! Wouldn’t know an avid from anything else!!! Could tell from demos why other bikes were better and why 29ers would suit me better, but not enough to spend the £s. I just enjoy getting out and riding.

Deal breakers – piss-take pricing, the whole wheel size debate. Both will settle down in next 18-24months and then I can think about a new bike perhaps?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Anything that isn’t a Yeti.

Any bike model named after a sex act or rude body part and has the name in massive letters somewhere on it. (That’s basically all Coves then… Handjob, Stiffy. Very amusing if you’re 13 years old)

Most Konas (because of the daft names)

Anything with less than 10 cogs on the back (unless it’s an internal geared hub)

I tend to buy frames and build up with carefully chosen parts. I like Sram rear mech, cassettes and shifters, Shimano BB and Crank. Crank must have steel rings (2 x 10), Sram chain, Avid brakes. Shimano spd pedals (cheap, easy to use, solid, reliable, CHEAP). Split tube ghetto tubeless.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘New bike deal-breakers’ is closed to new replies.