Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New bike day! (Well yesterday…)
  • lawman91

After 3 months of waiting I finally got my new Transition Spur yesterday! First ride was ace, not able to travel too far because of COVID lockdown up here in north Wales but got a few runs in on my local XC loop.

First impressions are it’s fast. Crazy fast. It’s the first 29er I’ve owned but ridden plenty, amazing how it carries speed. Changed the bar/stem to my preferred Chromag Cutlass/ranger combo with Ergon grips and thrown on some lighter Hunt XC Wide wheels. 27.4lbs with XT trail pedals, 3lbs lighter than my old T130! Can’t wait to get some bigger rides in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And, amazingly for this place, it’s an actual MTB! 🤣

Superb, enjoy, and get some pics up. 👍🏻

lawman91

Thought I had put pics up, will try again on the PC!

moonsaballoon

Get those pics up . Loved the look of them when they were released .

mutepoint
    Free Member

Or was it a figment of N+ 1 gone wrong 🤡

lawman91

shredder
    Free Member

Jealous of West Yorkshire here currently waiting for my Spur frame.

Pics needed.

lawman91

Finally! Since when did it become so damn hard to post pictures on here?!

Bigmantrials

Definitely the type of bike I will be looking at next, the Spur looks like great fun!

kingofthetoys

She’s a looker 👍🏻👌🏻

lawman91

Definitely the type of bike I will be looking at next, the Spur looks like great fun!

It feels super fun, obviously only had the one ride but it amazed me how nimble and agile it felt. Honestly think for most folks, this kind of bike is all they’ll ever need, especially with more brands going down this route and making their 120mm bikes a lot slacker and longer. Can’t wait to get it on some chunkier terrain and see how it goes.

hooli

That is one very, very good looking bike!

mutepoint
    Free Member

Woah Tranny or Ibis, tranny or ibis,
    TRANNY OR IBIS.

Now this is the question.

lawman91

I was set on a Ripley, but just couldn’t get one and the Transition just piqued my interest. I got a great deal on it too, so couldn’t say no. I haven’t ridden a Ripley, but owned a Mojo HD for 4 years and I loved it. I think I’d be happy with either, but the Transition just edged it for me in the end. Rear brake routing is external for one, seat tube is a little short on the large Ripley and there’s less bearings/bushings to replace on the Transition too.

v7fmp

utterly delightful!

I am yet to hear anything negative about these. Good stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks awesome, Transition bikes have never done it for me aesthetically, but that is bloody lovely! Love the lines, so purposeful looking.

kayak23

Lovely. I had a Transition dh bike back in the day before they were a bit more boutique. 👌

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What build did you go for, and how much? PM if you’d prefer- definetly on the radar for me. My main worry is how much abuse it will take- I think it will encourage me to ride the same stuff as my Am9 which is undeniably a bit more robust!

lawman91

Went for a GX build, I work in the trade but even then I had to wait a while! For reference though a Ripley was going to work out a few hundred quid more, a GX Ripley is £5499 at RRP.

Spur wise though GX build was available a little sooner, X01 builds are hens teeth but there’s a few GXs about for now. The X01 is nice but I already had carbon bars and cranks (yet to install the cranks) so couldn’t really justify the extra. Mines 12.34kg as pictured (minus the water bottle) so it’s only about 300g or so heavier than the X01. I might swap out the damper in the Sids out to the Raceday one, but will see, the shock is actually identical to the Sid Ultimate damper/spring wise, the Ultimate just has a bit more material machined out the eyelet to save a massive 5g!

Early days but the frame seems plenty stout enough.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What size did you go for and what height are you? What does the Raceday option bring?

Its a change of change but very pretty and struggling to find cheaper alternatives that aren’t flawed in some way or another…

lawman91

I’m just over 6ft and went for a large, it’s fits really nicely. Bit longer than my old T130 but not as super stretched as my Cotic Soul.

Race day damper is effectively just lighter and may be a little more controlled but not a huge difference. I was in the same boat, I looked at few mainly the Tallboy, Ripley and S120 and the Spur won out in the end. I’ve ridden all of them bar the Ripley but glad I went with the Spur, I’m loving it so far!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Cheers. I’d need to look at sizing again, had a Bandit years ago and should have bought large at 5’10 so always wary with Transition size guides.

Ripley looks lovely but very in demand also!

lawman91

I’d go for a large at 5’10, you could ride a medium but may find it a little short. Could always go for 35-40mm stem if you find it a little long. For reference I’m on a 50mm stem.

pobaker
    Free Member

I have also just got a Spur and for reference at 5’10” I went for a large (also have a patrol in large). I did put a 35mm stem on it, but size is perfect for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New bike day! (Well yesterday…)’ is closed to new replies.